Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Observer core posts  (Read 1239 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Royal Observer core posts
« on: 16 October 2018, 14:44:28 »

There was an item on TV about this and I was surprised by just how many posts there were during the WW2. Primarily to observe aircraft and report their positions and type once they were no longer covered by radar (which apparently only covered out to sea.

Good Wiki here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observer_Corps

Anyway, I remember one during my youth and when cycling by you could see the guys head BUT if you dismounted and went over he disappeared inside the grassy hill. My dad said they had mains power and water. Quite feasible in this case as it was near a country road. This would be in the sixties so presumably it was part of cold war /nuclear plane/missile lookout. I idly wanted to buy it later to build a house at the time when rural telephone exchanges were being flogged off by BT.

Anyone else know of or remember the lookouts.? maybe had a relative that served in that force or a story?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: Royal Observer core posts
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2018, 14:59:18 »

Antiques road trip. Nothing better to do with your afternoon?  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2018, 15:07:09 »

I've a friend who was in the ROC. He was (and still is) a teacher in Exeter. We are both keen military aircraft spotters, and with him being in the ROC he got a military ID card, which was handy for getting into bases all over Europe on "private" open days - typically the day before or after a public air-show. We were at Ramstein on the day before the last proper air show there. :(

They were all demobbed in 1995. The sites of the bunkers in the Yeovil area were all known by the locals, and sold off in the early 2000's for redevelopment.

The equipment that civilians like me used for spotting was generally better than the stuff the ROC had at the end - their stuff was a bit like Dads Army.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2018, 17:35:58 »

There's an ROC post a couple of miles from me on some farm land.

Popped in to Hack Green nuclear bunker the weekend before last. Well worth a visit if you're passing and they have quite a bit on info. on the cold war ROC bunkers there.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2018, 17:59:30 »

There's an ROC post a couple of miles from me on some farm land.

Popped in to Hack Green nuclear bunker the weekend before last. Well worth a visit if you're passing and they have quite a bit on info. on the cold war ROC bunkers there.

No thanks, I once spent a few days deep underground in a hideous bunker as part of some armageddon exercise.

It was actually Bargain Hunt. Great for us oldies to shout “too much” “walk away” while munching lunch. I know you younger folk just have a sandwich on the run between deals.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2018, 22:35:35 »

My Son and I are restoring one - the underground post not the aircraft obs post.  :y

« Last Edit: 16 October 2018, 22:37:24 by VXL V6 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2018, 09:16:30 »

There is a really intact one near Weston by Welland in south leicestershire.

Also, there is a complete section dedicated to them on 28dayslater

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2018, 09:22:00 »

It's because of the urbex sites that we keep quiet about which one we are restoring, we don't store anything there and we have a fair amount of security but there's plenty of idiots about.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2018, 13:38:26 »

It's because of the urbex sites that we keep quiet about which one we are restoring, we don't store anything there and we have a fair amount of security but there's plenty of idiots about.

An easy way to waste half your life visiting those, I find. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.