Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phones  (Read 5989 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Mobile Phones
« on: 19 October 2018, 20:15:46 »

Went on a coach trip yesterday (yes, I know, it's an age thingie), looking down into cars, or looking into lorries, I couldn't believe how many were on mobile phones, most looked to be texting.

Frightening  :o
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2018, 20:21:11 »

Probably arsebooking….

I notice in Yankee Land, everybody is always on the phone whilst driving.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2018, 20:26:05 »

Should make the penalty for using a mobile whilst driving a lot harsher 5 year ban & a £5000 fine .I know somebody who lost their child to one of these non caring bastards.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2018, 21:48:01 »

Isnt Bluetooth supposed to cancel the need to hodl the phone while speaking on it ?
I got my first crapple iPhone today and presume I can install a Parrot kit in the car and use the phone legally ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2018, 23:22:29 »

Isnt Bluetooth supposed to cancel the need to hodl the phone while speaking on it ?
I got my first crapple iPhone today and presume I can install a Parrot kit in the car and use the phone legally ?  :-\

Not if you're on faecesbook. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2018, 23:58:50 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2018, 00:07:49 »

I think you will find they work automatically with your car.  Bluetooth or similar. Mind you only on cars without starting handles.

You get the same thing here in Spain. Everybody is on their mobile whilst driving. Quite frightening as they come round a corner in the middle of the road. What do people find to talk about?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2018, 00:46:27 »

You get the same thing here in Spain. Everybody is on their mobile whilst driving. Quite frightening as they come round a corner in the middle of the road. What do people find to talk about?
Sorting out the claim for the crash they had last week  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2018, 15:24:50 »

No excuse for the govt not to mandate that all new cars have mobile phone 'jammers' fitted to the steering wheel air bag. If the ignition is on, then the mobile phone would not work if within 3 feet of the centre of the steering wheel. Job Jobbed. Next.
But then every driver would need a radio transmission licence like the main mobile firms.  Hence, jammers are illegal here.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2018, 15:41:27 »

Yes, as long your not holding the Phone, or even if its Dash Mounted your fingers dont touch the Screen of the Phone whilst Driving.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2018, 15:45:46 »

Last year the kids from wifey's school went on a trip. One the teachers went down to the front of the coach to speak to the driver and, you guessed it, he was texting. In the middle lane on the M18. She filmed him doing it and showed it to my missus when they got back. She rang the company and informed the police.
Although she won't use that company any more, other schools do and he's still driving.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2018, 16:36:55 »

Last year the kids from wifey's school went on a trip. One the teachers went down to the front of the coach to speak to the driver and, you guessed it, he was texting. In the middle lane on the M18. She filmed him doing it and showed it to my missus when they got back. She rang the company and informed the police.
Although she won't use that company any more, other schools do and he's still driving.

Total disgrace, driver should have lost his licence.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2018, 17:15:49 »

Just because you don't have a mobile ....  ::) ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2018, 17:17:26 »

Yes, as long your not holding the Phone, or even if its Dash Mounted your fingers dont touch the Screen of the Phone whilst Driving.
But it's legal to touch your stand alone sat nav while driving.....  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2018, 18:05:30 »

And two way radio...

Technically, you can operate anything provided you are not holding it...

This applies across the board from control switches all the way to phones and satnavs. Basically, if it's secured to the vehicle, you can legally operate it with a finger.

Howevever if you crash/cause one, you will, rightly, be held fully accountable.

Having a prang whilst pressing a button on the climate panel is legally the same as if you are texting. And vice versa as the phone part is an extension of Driving Without Due Care.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2018, 18:24:13 »

What about cigarettes, DG? They are hand-held and not attached to the vehicle.

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2018, 18:57:14 »

And two way radio...

Technically, you can operate anything provided you are not holding it...

This applies across the board from control switches all the way to phones and satnavs. Basically, if it's secured to the vehicle, you can legally operate it with a finger.

Howevever if you crash/cause one, you will, rightly, be held fully accountable.

Having a prang whilst pressing a button on the climate panel is legally the same as if you are texting. And vice versa as the phone part is an extension of Driving Without Due Care.

Agreed  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2018, 19:06:30 »

But then every driver would need a radio transmission licence like the main mobile firms.  Hence, jammers are illegal here.

Yes it would require legislation, but it doesn't need to be a real 'jammer' in the military sense. It needs to be the equivalent of a very low power wifi hotspot. If the driver turns the phone on, it connects to the nearest 3G/4G/5G 'network' - which is the steering wheel - which just dumps all the packets.

Similar system could be used to secure prisons. I just don't understand why the govt don't allow such 'jammers' in these and similar secure sites.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2018, 20:13:03 »

Spot on about jamming prisons. It is probably the prison staff that would object. Wouldnt be able to tweet or txt during work. Maybe someone with knowledge will comment.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2018, 21:06:38 »

Yes it would require legislation, but it doesn't need to be a real 'jammer' in the military sense. It needs to be the equivalent of a very low power wifi hotspot. If the driver turns the phone on, it connects to the nearest 3G/4G/5G 'network' - which is the steering wheel - which just dumps all the packets.

Similar system could be used to secure prisons. I just don't understand why the govt don't allow such 'jammers' in these and similar secure sites.
but it's still legal to use a hands free phone whist driving .... and there are various ways to achieve hands free

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2018, 21:29:58 »

What about cigarettes, DG? They are hand-held and not attached to the vehicle.

Ron.
Depends* if it causes you to not be in proper control or not... See above :y

*Bear in mind that smoking in a vehicle containing children or any vehicle used for work regardless of the number of seats or actually being used for work purposes at the time, is now a criminal offence in its own right.

Get spotted by a short, bald shouty copper with a ginger beard on his period and they could technically report you for smoking in your company car...

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2018, 23:24:04 »

Spot on about jamming prisons. It is probably the prison staff that would object. Wouldnt be able to tweet or txt during work. Maybe someone with knowledge will comment.

Would not under any circumstances be able to take a mobile into the establishment where I work, unable to comment on jamming equipment.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2018, 23:32:13 by Tilbo »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2018, 09:47:31 »

I once got a tug from PC Plod as I was scoffing a pasty, and endured a telling off.  I ate enough humble pie as well, so no issues. But I did raise how was my pasty dangerous, but a fag wasn't, to which he replied about both hands on the wheel when smoking.

I suppose now smoking is socially unacceptable, by argument would be why is a pie dangerous, but drinking coffee, as sold by all filling stations, acceptable.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2018, 10:14:28 »

I once got a tug from PC Plod as I was scoffing a pasty, and endured a telling off.  I ate enough humble pie as well, so no issues. But I did raise how was my pasty dangerous, but a fag wasn't, to which he replied about both hands on the wheel when smoking.

I suppose now smoking is socially unacceptable, by argument would be why is a pie dangerous, but drinking coffee, as sold by all filling stations, acceptable.

Ginsters or Greggs?

Good point about the coffee

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2018, 10:18:53 »

Ginsters or Greggs?
It's too long ago now to remember, but my usual routine was to grab a pasty from Motozas bakery on the way to my first job....

...Greggs wouldn't know how to make a pie if my Gran watched over them telling them what to do.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2018, 10:35:23 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 October 2018, 11:12:01 »

If a copper sees you doing anything that they consider is distracting you, they can pull you. Coffee included.

But when did you last see a copper?  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 October 2018, 11:18:53 »

Who says that the prisons don’t have a form of jammer? ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2018, 11:19:48 »

Except hands free operation is legal and, in some lines of work, essential.

I see plenty of people playing with the radio or heater controls and veering across lanes. Perhaps we should just ban drivers from cars and go autonomous  :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 October 2018, 11:36:21 »

I saw one the other day, on the pavement in the high street, ignoring youths on bikes (also on the pavement) terrorising pedestrians. He could have collected £30 from each of them, yet did nothing.

Ron.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #30 on: 21 October 2018, 11:49:31 »

I saw one the other day, on the pavement in the high street, ignoring youths on bikes (also on the pavement) terrorising pedestrians. He could have collected £30 from each of them, yet did nothing.

Ron.

Exactly the same here Bigron, one section of the town is nearly all Eastern European shops they park right up to traffic lights on zigzags & double yellows,  absolutely nothing is done about it , I have witnessed Police drive straight past , might offend them if they were nicked I presume.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 October 2018, 11:51:29 »

I may be wrong, but Istr that Police aren't responsible for parking offences any more ?  :-\
Its hard to know exactly what they are responsible for these days, apart from enforcing diversity and political correctness.  :-X
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2018, 12:05:12 »

I may be wrong, but Istr that Police aren't responsible for parking offences any more ?  :-\
Its hard to know exactly what they are responsible for these days, apart from enforcing diversity and political correctness.  :-X
Relatively old news. Entirely the remit of the local authority since circa at least 2006 iirc ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 October 2018, 12:08:56 »

I see plenty of people playing with the radio or heater controls and veering across lanes. Perhaps we should just ban drivers from cars and go autonomous :-X ::)
That will never catch on you know :D

Have been pulled on the M25 by a bored copper early on morning for not indicating a move from lane 2 into lane 1 as I passed the A3 slip road on the way to Heathrow  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 October 2018, 12:36:22 »

Who says that the prisons don’t have a form of jammer? ::)
Prisons break many laws, by necessity, and just pay the fines.

For example, the fire brigade checks will always flag up that the firedoors don't allow proper escape, and also that in the event of a fire alarm, the main exits should be available for evacuation....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 October 2018, 12:40:26 »

Strangely enough, yesterday on the hard shoulder of the M40. A plain BMW and a (modern liveried) jam sandwich sandwiching a car with not a rizla gap between.  I assume they had just done a manoeuvre on said sandwiched car.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 October 2018, 12:42:25 »

That should not be the case. Granted, handsfree still means you have both hands, but ultimately you are still distracted.

Those lines of work need to seriously take an inward look...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 October 2018, 12:45:39 »

That would also include single crewed Police and Paramedics for a start...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 October 2018, 12:46:44 »

Yup.  Although I would like to think their levels of awareness are better then Joe Public.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 October 2018, 12:57:52 »

Yup.  Although I would like to think their levels of awareness are better then Joe Public.
Why? They're still human. Apparently.

95% of all road related injuries and deaths are caused by human error. Of that 95%, mobile phones account for barely 2%.1 person every ten days (36.5 a year) against 5 people a day (1,710 a year).

That's half the number of people who die as a result of vehicle tyre failure (the other 5% of fatality causes).

The problem with other road users is that people don't allow for them.

Incidentally in 2017 fatalities rose markedly against 2016, and this year looks the same. Be interesting to see how Smart motorways fare in the fatality by road type analysis...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 October 2018, 14:49:34 »

Why? They're still human. Apparently.
I'd like to think their training would instill awareness....

The problem with other road users is that people don't allow for them.

Incidentally in 2017 fatalities rose markedly against 2016, and this year looks the same. Be interesting to see how Smart motorways fare in the fatality by road type analysis...
Probably jack all.  I don't think, ignoring the disruption during modification (or cynically, how they drag it out to keep the fruitful 50mph cameras live), they reduce road safety. In fact, probably the opposite. The M42 has had Smart status for several years, and it works well.

I'm probably from the last generation that road motorbikes (ignoring the resurgance of middle aged men getting one as part of their mid life crisis), and that guarantees a raised level of awareness - those that lack it don't survive.  Owning a bike I do genuinely believe makes you a better, more defensive driver in general.

So as more people leave school, slap a new(ish) tin can on their credit card, and drive it around with too many distractions inside to worry whats happening outside, its inevitable that serious accidents will increase.....     .....and speed limits decrease.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 October 2018, 14:57:15 »

Re smart motorways, the number of serious injuries is falling year on year, but fatalities are increasing, albeit at a disparity... I wonder if this is due to increased response times due to no hard shoulder :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 October 2018, 15:01:53 »

I am with you there, TB: I feel that ALL would-be car drivers should do their apprenticeship on two wheels first. Their vulnerabilty will concentrate the mind!
As you said, the unaware/incompetent would be removed by natural selection.

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 October 2018, 15:11:27 »

Basic license training is just that, basic. Any additional training can only be beneficial.

Just done a Smith Systems course at work, and whilst it is largely common sense, it doesn't hurt to be reminded periodically  :y

https://www.drivedifferent.com/

It's a bit wank wordy, but makes you think  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 October 2018, 19:23:00 »

All additional training can be useful. Even, dare I say it, 3.5hrs of patronisation from a pompous idiot...

...I'll get back to you on the latter....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 21 October 2018, 19:23:36 »

And idiot wasn't the word I typed. Bloody censor.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 October 2018, 19:39:41 »

And idiot wasn't the word I typed. Bloody censor.
You have the power, but be careful, Ladybits will never be the same again... :D

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 26 October 2018, 19:21:59 »

The penalties for using a mobile whilst driving should be raised 9 points plus mandatory £1,000 fine in Addition the police officer involved should have the right to confiscate and stamp on the phone with his size nine boot. Mobiles nowadays are much more than a means of communication they are to some their lives, these measures may make them think twice before using them whilst driving. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of drivers on the phone sat in very expensive cars when a hands free kit can cost them well less than it costs to fill there fuel tank.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 26 October 2018, 19:28:02 »

I'm not even a fan of hands free kits. I don't have one. I used to have to have one, but no more and I prefer it. Trying to process and think about technical issues and drive a car is not safe, even with two hands on the wheel. Nothing in my life is that important that it can't wait until I've stopped and certainly nothing work related.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 26 October 2018, 19:54:29 »

Never bothered to buy a hands free kit.Mobile phone generally gets carried in a front trouser pocket and stays there until I'm ready to stop somewhere/get where I'm going before I reply to any texts or calls.There seems to be an increase round here of drivers carrying their pet dogs on their laps with the dogs usually having their front paws on the door capping and looking out of the drivers door window.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 26 October 2018, 21:41:32 »

I'm not even a fan of hands free kits. I don't have one. I used to have to have one, but no more and I prefer it. Trying to process and think about technical issues and drive a car is not safe, even with two hands on the wheel. Nothing in my life is that important that it can't wait until I've stopped and certainly nothing work related.

So you never talk to your passengers ....  ::) Surely you''ve been driving long enough that it comes second nature  ???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.