Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: F1 possible spoiler.  (Read 2617 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
F1 possible spoiler.
« on: 19 October 2018, 23:00:18 »

Us Brits my well have a five times Champion by the end of this week. And a very well deserved one imo.  8)
So far in Austin it has rained every session and Hamilton has been untouchable, as he is an absolute master in the wet.
Vetttel on the other hand ignored red flags earlier today and the stewards have given him a three place grid penalty  for doing so.
Vettels reaction to this has been to issue a statement saying that the red flag rules are wrong.  ::) ;D
If someone said to me now that Hamilton is the greatest of all time, I don't think I could come up with anything much to say in disagreement.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: F1 possible spoiler.
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2018, 00:01:33 »

Bring on the race.

I can't wait for next year to see hoe Leclerc fares against the great Vettel!

It will be nice seeing Red Bull on equal terms to The horses and arrows.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2018, 14:34:46 »

I agree Hamilton has raised his game still further this season and at times had a slower car than the Ferrari and that has not stopped him from winning. 8) Apart from three Mercedes bad strategy calls this season, they have been more consistent than Ferrari. Both Vettel and Ferrari have made far too many mistakes all season. :y

Will 2019 be Vettel's last season at Ferrari? If Leclerc out races him and Vettel is demoted to number two driver, prams and toys springs to mind. ;D ;D ;D

I think the surly bad tempered chip on Vettel's shoulder makes him a thoroughly unlikable character and Hamilton's much higher outright poise, skill, speed and racecraft in the wet and dry really does rub Vettel's nose it most race weekends. :y :y :y ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2018, 15:35:25 »

If someone said to me now that Hamilton is the greatest of all time, I don't think I could come up with anything much to say in disagreement.  :-\
Impossible to say due to different eras.  But I wouldn't put him as the greatest of all time.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2018, 09:06:37 »

I agree about comparisons, up to a point, but why couldn't he be rated as the greatest of all time ?
If pushed I would probably still put Gilles Villeneuve at the top of the list, but for me there are three contenders including Senna and Hamilton. In the 40+ years Ive been watching no-one else is in the same league as those three, although Mansell is probably closer than anyone else.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2018, 09:31:02 »

Not withstanding who is the greatest , it will be good seeing Max and Gasly scything their way through the field.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2018, 09:55:27 »

I think Villeneuve (Snr) and Mansell had big balls, Senna had a special feel for the car.  And all 3 had that absolute desire to win at any cost, always (perhaps could be said the same for Shithead Sch as well, though not always for the same reasons), and had immense skill. All, including Shithead Sch could go hell for leather for the entire race.

Hamilton has the desire to always win, and is pretty handy in changing conditions. Current era opponents certainly lack the former, and those in top cars lack the latter.  But obviously now its not about racing, as tyre management comes into it far too much, meaning we never see anyone try flat out for 200m
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2018, 10:49:10 »

Yep, the tyre management shite has ruined the racing. The rulemakers seem utterly blind to the obvious issues that need addressing, sadly. Qualifying is where they are really on the limit, without worrying about tyres etc. and Hamilton is the king of qualifying.

He seems to have broken Vettel now, has no answer to him, and panics and gets clumsy when he tries to match him.

You probably know my thoughts on Schu. He was a dangerous driver and a serial cheat. The only time we know he wasn't driving a bent car was when he drove for Mercedes, and he was a midfield runner, who got outdriven by young Rosberg at every track.

I see that Schuh junior has just won the Euro F3 championship. His competitors have been complaining about the standard of his driving, and questioning how his car suddenly got so much faster than everyone elses near the end of the season when the title fight was very close.
Sems like the apple didn't fall very far from the tree. :D
« Last Edit: 21 October 2018, 10:58:18 by Migv6 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2018, 12:32:53 »

You probably know my thoughts on Schu. He was a dangerous driver and a serial cheat. The only time we know he wasn't driving a bent car was when he drove for Mercedes, and he was a midfield runner, who got outdriven by young Rosberg at every track.
Not being Ferrari F1's biggest fan, I always felt that they got away with a lot more than they should have.

But Schumacher did show his talents in the Benetton (in addition to his bad tempered arrogance), so I think was probably the best driver of that Schumacher era. Hill in the Williams and then Hakkinen in the McLaren only got close due to far superior cars IMHO. Schumacher was another king of changing conditions.

I don't think, attitude/arrogance wise, Schumacher and Hamilton are that far apart TBH.  We've seen similar temper tantrums from Hamilton remember.  Hamilton is better at publicity and getting people on his side though - jumping out of car and pointing/signalling to fans etc, and mentioning that during interviews.

Schumacher was out of the game for too long to make a comeback - the cars had changed too much, and his fitness must have also been an issue.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2018, 13:07:05 »

Niki Lauda came back after a few years and won another championship.  ;)
It was strongly rumoured at the time that Benneton had traction control when it was banned, but the FIA tech bods said they were unable to find it in the software.
Senna was completely convinced that the Benneton had TC when he was racing against it. He asked Williams to protest it, but they didn't feel they had enough concrete evidence.
Ferrari definitely had TC during the Schumacher era when it was still banned.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2018, 13:08:56 by Migv6 »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2018, 21:17:32 »

Cracking race.

As usual, season end Raikkonen finds speed

Good race from Lewis

Outstanding race from Max

Business as usual for Vettel.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2018, 22:50:24 »

I wouldn't be that shocked if Vettel decided to retire in the near future. He looks like a broken man.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2018, 09:44:01 »

I though that Mexico was quite a good race :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2018, 10:25:48 »

Well deserved Champtionship for Lewis, the way Vettel drove he did not deserve it.

I did like at the end when David.C asked him, "Where did it go wrong this year? You had the car under you."

Bascially saying the car was up to it, you screwed up. He refused to answer and went to congratulate Lewis.  ;D

Wonder if this will be Vettel's last chance, Leclerc could easily show him up unless he really sorts himself out.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2018, 10:30:39 »

Agreed. Shame about the scheduling on C4. It was 2p.m. or 3p.m.  by body clock when I got to bed.

All the fives. Five championships to Lewis, Five wins in his short career to Max and five years since Vettel won a championship!

Max drove a mature fast race lapping everyone up to and including staggeringly Bottas.

Hamilton nursed his tyres to the finish.

Vettel gave it a good go and overtook cleanly.

Some good drives lower down the field too. Bodes well for next year. can't wait to see Leclerc as Vettels team mate. ;D

Daniel is an unlucky man. I really thought he might win the race but Max soon showed him a clean pair of heels. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Renault next year whilst Honda look to be on track to winning championships with Red Bull.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.