Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win10 keeps switching Off Virus Protection  (Read 3498 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Win10 keeps switching Off Virus Protection
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2018, 19:23:55 »

It thinks it has a GPO being applied.

Assuming it never has been connected to an AD, it could be a piece of malware has done it.  You may find it in gpedit.msc, or look in the various Policies/Microsoft area of the registry, such as HKLM/Software/Policies

But being a desktop, I wouldn't break around. It could be rebuilt in under 10mins...
Thanks, had a quick poke around yesterday, couldnt find anything untoward or obvious, even tried disabling VP within the Policies, Reboot, back to Enabled again, Rebbot, no change.  :-\

The fact that its kicks in (Switches Off) a good 5 Mins or longer after a Cold Boot is whats bugging me, something hanging around in the background thats probably teling the OS "Hey Im another VP, so your not needed" is got me thinking along these lines, as said probably some piece of MWare or a Left Over Crap from somewhere.

Agreed on the Rebuild, probably easier and quicker cure long term, doing a Fresh OS isnt the issue, its all the other Crap I have to put on afterwards that takes time, having saif that I do tend to make an Image of any Fresh OS Installs, and then another Virgin Image of the OS with the basic Installs and Add Ons that I use before I actually start using the Drive, so poss just a question of finding the right Image Bak Up or more to the point however I labelled it at the time  ::),  lets see if I get bored over Xmas.

« Last Edit: 12 November 2018, 19:29:43 by zirk »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2018, 09:46:13 »

Mine gave me a warning that my mcafee licence had expired yesterday . . . . . funny thing is I dont have it installed. :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2018, 10:43:59 »

Mine gave me a warning that my mcafee licence had expired yesterday . . . . . funny thing is I dont have it installed. :-\

Once your machine is pwned by mcafee you might as well just bin it. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2018, 11:26:46 »

I'd link to the McAfee Uninstaller video (by John McAfee) .. but I daren't google it at work! ;D (For those who don't know, John McAfee is unhinged..)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2018, 12:38:41 »

Pah, McAfee is no where near as bad as the Symantec/Norton virus used to be. (I've not tried Symantec for years, so it may have improved, but I doubt it.)

With regards the original question, MS AV is pretty much a tick box exercise, it's not very effective. If you want to stay with it, fine, google Housecall and run that (it's an online virus checker, no install required), otherwise I tend to flick between Avast and AVG based on which one is being less of resource hog at the time. Even if you don't want to use those, it's worth installing one, doing a scan and then uninstalling it.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 November 2018, 13:21:01 »

Pah, McAfee is no where near as bad as the Symantec/Norton virus used to be. (I've not tried Symantec for years, so it may have improved, but I doubt it.)

With regards the original question, MS AV is pretty much a tick box exercise, it's not very effective. If you want to stay with it, fine, google Housecall and run that (it's an online virus checker, no install required), otherwise I tend to flick between Avast and AVG based on which one is being less of resource hog at the time. Even if you don't want to use those, it's worth installing one, doing a scan and then uninstalling it.

I've been with Norton for about 25 years, can't fault it.

Before that, McAfee, wouldn't touch it again with a barge pole.
I like red cars

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2018, 14:31:06 »

I should have said, same advice applies to Symantec. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2018, 17:23:26 »

Symantec have a unique way of buggering up a good, bought in product.  McAfee just buggered it from the start.

But the fact still remains, if a desktop, rebuild. Not worth wasting energy on.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.