Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Belfast ch5 wed night  (Read 1441 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
HMS Belfast ch5 wed night
« on: 04 December 2018, 12:36:57 »

Heads up, looks an interesting programme. 9 p.m.

Some years ago, I took my dad down to have a look around before having an old schoolboy reunion lunch
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: HMS Belfast ch5 wed night
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2018, 12:44:01 »

I watched the programme last night about HMS Duncan in the Black Sea off Crimea. Interesting viewing. The thing that struck me was the age of the crew, very young. But, I guess, that's the way things appear when you get to be an old codger.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2018, 12:57:06 »

I watched the programme last night about HMS Duncan in the Black Sea off Crimea. Interesting viewing. The thing that struck me was the age of the crew, very young. But, I guess, that's the way things appear when you get to be an old codger.

By the time you've found your glasses the Russians will have nuked us. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2018, 13:10:21 »

By the time you've found your glasses the Russians will have nuked us. ;D
Hopefully. Don't really want to see it coming.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2018, 13:35:58 »

I watched the programme last night about HMS Duncan  ....

Many many moons ago, the previous Duncan was parked alongside Eastbourne in Rosyth dockyard as harbour training ships ..... I was on it  ??? ??? ??? ???

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2018, 07:53:38 »

I found it an interesting programme,it does slightly niggle me that they at times don't get the classification of ships correct.Scharnhorst[along with her sister ship Gneisenau]was not a battleship but a battlecruiser.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2018, 10:54:20 »

I found it an interesting programme,it does slightly niggle me that they at times don't get the classification of ships correct.Scharnhorst[along with her sister ship Gneisenau]was not a battleship but a battlecruiser.
And both a damn sight larger than the Treaty of Versailles allowed ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2018, 12:50:06 »

Since when did the German navy worry about the rules in the 30s.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2018, 15:22:49 »

Since when did the German navy worry about the rules in the 30s.
My point entirely  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2018, 17:22:14 »

That happens all the time in especially the "populus" documentaries as I call them which just cater for average joe public who think all big warships are "battleships".

Of course the ships mentioned were battlecruisers, and belonged to a class totalling 5 ships, which included my favorite Prinz Eugen which, whilst with the Bismark, entered battle with our HMS Hood.  The weaknesses apparent in all the Royal Navy battlecruisers from WW1 era, like the Hood and the German superiority of build and fire control sadly proved fatal for Hood and showed the fire power of the German battlecruisers, especially when supported by the battleship Bismark!

Although they did exceed the limitations placed on Naval new builds by the Versailles Treaty 1919, the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 (which affected the design and build of the RN Battleships HMS Nelson and her sister HMS Rodney), and the Treaty for the Limitation and Reduction of Naval Armament / London Naval Treaty (1930), Germany NEVER fully accepted the limitations placed on it by the Versailles Treaty which they were not party to. Once Hitler came to power he denounced completely that "agreement", and managed to get a new one in the form of the Anglo-German Naval Agreement (1935) Second London Naval Treaty (1936), which greatly increased the allowed size of any new warships and the type of naval fleet in use, which was controversial from the start (as was the original Versailles Treaty), and which Hitler denounced anyway in 1939 as of course by then he had ripped up the "rule book" on Germany's military limitations and was bent on war.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.