Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadside repairs  (Read 8935 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Roadside repairs
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2018, 18:48:56 »

A bit like telecomms. I used to drive around in my little van taking people's telephones to bits to fix them. Then someone had the bright idea of plugging them into a socket and sending a new one out in the post.
Can't beat restrapping a 746 to get it to work as a Plan 107 extension. Or, in the middle of Martins Newsagents, crawling around the floor looking for all the springs and contacts that had shot everywhere after I popped the top of an HES4
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2018, 18:52:45 »

Indeed,
all the sensors to reduce emissions etc and no room to get at things make repairs a pain.
it is nice to be able to read fault codes and look at live data ,which you could not fo back in the day .
no one bothers doing big ends these days,just scrap the car, I did a full rebuild on a corsa including shells ,rings,lifters etc etc early this year and parts alone was £400 ,more than the car was worth if you included labour (which was fee because i did it) but it meant the engine was sorted and the corsa was for a family member,
 I feel sorry for people who don't have a clue ,and just take their car to a main stealer for £500+ of repairs on a regular basis .
 cars seem to be built in chunks now, computer says replace this chunk , so that big expensive chunk gets replaced,rather than stripping it to replace the 10p  O ring ,that caused the issue.
 A "throw away society" that talks about recycling  :(
A bit like telecomms. I used to drive around in my little van taking people's telephones to bits to fix them. Then someone had the bright idea of plugging them into a socket and sending a new one out in the post.
Sadly Mr STEMO , a plug in phone (if anyone still uses one) costs about £5 now ,so I can't argue your case and get you your job back  :(

a better example would be a fuel gauge on a car not working, 20 years ago you'd fit a new gauge to the binnacle ,about £15. now the computer says replace complete binnacle ,£350 plus programming because it is coded  :o
ok, so savvy motorist would buy second hand virginised binnacle , but most would sell or scrap the car,or pay the £500+ bill to a dealer to sort  :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2018, 18:53:12 »

Because there aren’t many mechanics these days, just fitters.  ::)

And they're expected to diagnose and repair increasingly complex systems too - carburettors and distributor ignitions are simple and so are their faults. That is not true of modern inter-connected electronics
Fully managed engine systems are easy as well. Probably more so than carbs and dizzy timing.  Its a different type of skill though, one that many old school cant deal with.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2018, 18:54:30 »

now the computer says replace complete binnacle ,£350 plus programming because it is coded  :o
I bet mine is well over a grand, just for the part :(
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2018, 19:02:40 »

now the computer says replace complete binnacle ,£350 plus programming because it is coded  :o
probably worth investing in a decent quality battery then, so your car can cope with 10 days of not being used  ;D
rather than running your voltage sensitive ,very expensive car electrics on a near flat/close to dead battery
 Ask Santa for one , I've his address somewhere  :P

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 December 2018, 19:06:26 »

probably worth investing in a decent quality battery then, so your car can cope with 10 days of not being used  ;D
rather than running your voltage sensitive ,very expensive car electrics on a near flat/close to dead battery

don't you have to be a good boy for Santa to visit with presents? Or have I been lied to for all these years :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2018, 19:08:23 »

I have serious worries about an old man who likes young kids bouncing on his knee....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 December 2018, 19:20:40 »

I take it all back, just looked it up, and according to my 5yr old Russian EPC, the instrument cluster is £650 ex VAT...
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 December 2018, 19:23:16 »

don't you have to be a good boy for Santa to visit with presents? Or have I been lied to for all these years :o
No, I'm a complete ***t and still get presents every year  :y

I have serious worries about an old man who likes young kids bouncing on his knee....
yep, for some nonses, who get a seasonal job ,this time of year must be like Christmas to them  >:(
lets hope all santa types are closely monitored /supervised

2boxerdogs

« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2018, 19:36:43 »

No, I'm a complete ***t and still get presents every year  :y

yep, for some nonses, who get a seasonal job ,this time of year must be like Christmas to them  >:(
lets hope all santa types are closely monitored /supervised

I'm surprised nobody has put a claim in from 30 odd years ago claiming Father Christmas touched them inappropriately, or have they ?  If not it's bound to happen.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2018, 19:39:14 »

I'm surprised nobody has put a claim in from 30 odd years ago claiming Father Christmas touched them inappropriately, or have they ?  If not it's bound to happen.

Who would they report it to? Elf and safety?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2018, 19:47:17 »

Who would they report it to? Elf and safety?

😀😁😂 I like that 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 December 2018, 19:48:13 »

join the support group , or help by buying a T shirt clicky

2boxerdogs

« Reply #28 on: 09 December 2018, 19:51:11 »

join the support group , or help by buying a T shirt clicky

It just gets better 🎄🎄🎄

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 December 2018, 19:54:13 »

A midnight vigil wouldn't be any good, as that's when he's most powerful.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.