Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVLA clampers  (Read 6344 times)

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
DVLA clampers
« on: 17 December 2018, 14:48:11 »

Well came home today to find a DVLA van parked alongside my sorn Omega.I quickly parked up and went back up my drive out of curiosity only to find him starting to clamp my car.The car was neither parked on the road or the pavement but on my brick paviers adjcent the pavement.I asked why he was standing on my land attempting to clamp my car to which he replied "Its parked adjacent to the road and has been picked up my a camera car" After I explained it was actually my land he removed the clamp but only if I parked it down my drive.No charges but no warning either as it seems they will clamp anything even if it is on private land.I tried calling DVLA but they weren't much help so now I have my legal car parked there and my sorn one down the drive quite annoying really!!!!

STEMO

Re: DVLA clampers
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2018, 15:08:55 »

If he was actually on your land, you could have legally shot him. Think on next time. ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2018, 15:15:50 »

Trespass, but it's a civil offence so it is likely to cost you a lot.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2018, 15:27:35 »

Trespass, but it's a civil offence so it is likely to cost you a lot.
Trespass and criminal damage. Shooting's too good for the bastard.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2018, 16:27:48 »

Foxtrot Oscar, would have been my reply.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2018, 16:30:56 »

Well came home today to find a DVLA van parked alongside my sorn Omega.I quickly parked up and went back up my drive out of curiosity only to find him starting to clamp my car.The car was neither parked on the road or the pavement but on my brick paviers adjcent the pavement.I asked why he was standing on my land attempting to clamp my car to which he replied "Its parked adjacent to the road and has been picked up my a camera car" After I explained it was actually my land he removed the clamp but only if I parked it down my drive.No charges but no warning either as it seems they will clamp anything even if it is on private land.I tried calling DVLA but they weren't much help so now I have my legal car parked there and my sorn one down the drive quite annoying really!!!!
Check that it is still sorned... used to be a requirement to renew it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2018, 22:57:48 »

'Technically' they can Clamp an UnTaxed Vehicle that is parked on Private Land or Road, assuming that the access is freely available (ie, its not Fenced off or Gated / they have unrestricted access to walk or drive onto), but as DG says if its SORN they probably wont bother, as the Offence for this case scenario is UnTaxed and not SORN, 

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2018, 00:06:43 »

Take off... or obscure the number plates, fu(ing parasitic @nts!, Shame they can’t devote a bit more time and money to proper crime like the Poppy case. Fu(ing self-abusers
Laying a rubber road.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2018, 01:54:01 »

Leave the Omega on the drive for a couple of weeks before you put it back where it was. Now they believe there's a possible fish to catch they'll be back to check.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2018, 07:21:35 »

Wait until they've gone then cut the clamp off. When they come calling deny all knowledge, and extend your utmost sympathy.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2018, 07:38:13 »

Take off... or obscure the number plates, fu(ing parasitic @nts!, Shame they can’t devote a bit more time and money to proper crime like the Poppy case. Fu(ing self-abusers
Clearly you have issues...  ::)

Leaving a car parked with easy access and no number plates is asking to have it vandalized then lifted by the council for being abandoned and untraceable. Which I am sure isn't quite the helpful advice that Gbh needs :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2018, 11:32:24 »

'Technically' they can Clamp an UnTaxed Vehicle that is parked on Private Land or Road, assuming that the access is freely available (ie, its not Fenced off or Gated / they have unrestricted access to walk or drive onto), but as DG says if its SORN they probably wont bother, as the Offence for this case scenario is UnTaxed and not SORN,

Intrigued by this, if its on private property (regardless of access to the highway) and its SORN, what ground do they have to clamp it?

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2018, 15:23:11 »

Intrigued by this, if its on private property (regardless of access to the highway) and its SORN, what ground do they have to clamp it?
AIUI if it's SORN and on private property then it's legal.

The apparent issue here is that the 'private property' was a paved area adjacent to the pavement. If there is no clear demarcation (usually taken to mean nothing, such as a fence, to prevent a member of the public walking across) between the two then they'll clamp. The onus will be on the victim to prove that the vehicle was on private property, as distinct from the public pavement which is part of the highway.

And yes gbh needs to check that the Omega is actually SORN.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2018, 15:50:05 »

I see, guilty until proven innocent - sounds par for the course for any branch of HM's revenue collectors  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2018, 16:45:48 »

I see, guilty until proven innocent - sounds par for the course for any branch of HM's revenue collectors  ;)
Customs don't even need to knock to be able to enter private property.

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2018, 16:47:20 »

Then why is their battle cry 'Knock knock' ?  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2018, 16:49:32 »

Then why is their battle cry 'Knock knock' ?  ;D
Ironic, isn't it  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2018, 17:39:35 »

Yep they have a lot more powers than the Police and Security Services, the other Mob that force entry inro Private Propery is the Electric, Gas and Water Board.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2018, 18:20:42 »

Once saw a drug raid happen on the street where I used to live.There was a loud crash as the door was smashed open and then someone shouted "Police,open the door!" :D ;D

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2018, 00:27:37 »

Yep they have a lot more powers than the Police and Security Services, the other Mob that force entry inro Private Propery is the Electric, Gas and Water Board.

They don`t even need to do that nowadays, if you`ve got a smart meter installed, they will disconnect you remotely   :P

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2018, 11:13:37 »

They don`t even need to do that nowadays, if you`ve got a smart meter installed, they will disconnect you remotely   :P

No chance, I suspect any of these Big Brother devices. Like Google for example. :-[ :y

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2018, 11:31:22 »

It'll be mandatory eventually, I'm sure, Shack.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2018, 19:43:01 »

It'll be mandatory eventually, I'm sure, Shack.

I'm sure you're right, but at present it is not mandatory, thank goodness. :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 December 2018, 00:38:30 »

Clearly you have issues...  ::)

Leaving a car parked with easy access and no number plates is asking to have it vandalized then lifted by the council for being abandoned and untraceable. Which I am sure isn't quite the helpful advice that Gbh needs :-X
               Mm what’s my issues then? Clearly if the van had passed the car without the plates on, it wouldn’t have picked it up in the first place. You don’t honestly think the van driver participates in the procurement of the citation do you?
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2018, 01:04:46 »

People bitch and moan about untaxed/uninsured/unlicensed cars and drivers, but God help anyone who is involved with enforcing the above...

God alone knows what the DVLA enforcement vans have to do with Poppi Worthington ???

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2018, 08:26:29 »

Fair point, but don’t you think motorists are being hounded down more and more while far more important crimes are not being given the resources and time they need. That was my point.
Laying a rubber road.

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2018, 08:52:56 »

Why do you hate polar bears so, Shack? WHYYY!! ;) ;D

My favourite part of the smart meter ads is them saying how much energy we could save, then in the small print saying that this is by "monitoring usage and reducing waste". Look, you cretins, I use the energy I use because I want to use that energy - I don't leave lights on for shits and giggles, I do it because I'm in the room! ;D

Ahem. Sorry. I digress because I got sucked into a rant. Back to everyone's favourite whipping boy, the DVLA!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 December 2018, 08:55:05 »

Motorists generally have always been an accessible target.

You'll find that it pays the DVLA to actively pursue lost revenue by way of clamping release fees etc as it will be self funding, which means that central government does not have to cover the shortfall, whereas Policing only costs money.

Police impartiality, in the UK at least, prevents them from profiting from crime detection and conviction rates. Also unless you want to go down the road of removing everyone from society who inadvertently might have a thought about committing any offence, you are left with having to solve most crimes with hindsight and preventing the occasional ones by way of intelligence gathering... Not so good for victims, but arguably a more reasoned approach than, say, The Minority Report one.  ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 December 2018, 09:45:59 »

Check that it is still sorned... used to be a requirement to renew it.

Not any more - once a vehicle is sorn'd, then it remains sorn'd indefinitely until sold or retaxed. There is now no requirement to renew the sorn every 12 months as previously.
Any vehicle taken off the road prior to 1998 did not require a sorn, and this is not required retrospectively, but I doubt many Omegas fall into this catagory  :D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 20 December 2018, 11:53:39 »

My favourite part of the smart meter ads is them saying how much energy we could save, then in the small print saying that this is by "monitoring usage and reducing waste". Look, you cretins, I use the energy I use because I want to use that energy - I don't leave lights on for shits and giggles, I do it because I'm in the room! ;D

Ahem. Sorry. I digress because I got sucked into a rant. Back to everyone's favourite whipping boy, the DVLA!
I has a similar discussion with a young lady from EDF a while back. I also added that they are not getting their filthy mitts on my daily usage data, and concluded with something like 'Over my cold, dead body'.

aaronjb

« Reply #30 on: 20 December 2018, 11:58:00 »

I had a smart meter fitted, the privacy concerns don't really bother me to be honest, nor the threat of disconnection (which they could do anyway, as my meter is outside, before the smart meter was ever fitted) as I'm not a deadbeat ;D

The only thing that concerns me is that, once we're all driving EVs and the grid has collapsed under the pressure of charging, they'll start remotely turning my power off so that the important people can charge their cars.

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 20 December 2018, 12:37:17 »

Yes, we'll, you youngsters are free and easy with your personal data. Us older folk don't like the thought of living in the clouds.

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 20 December 2018, 12:53:42 »

If you exist as a human being in the West, you can pretty much guarantee you've been the subject of a breach by now, and all your delicious PII is out there for the right price..

Delicious PII.

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 20 December 2018, 13:03:09 »

If you exist as a human being in the West, you can pretty much guarantee you've been the subject of a breach by now, and all your delicious PII is out there for the right price..

Delicious PII.
Doesn't mean you have to empty your pockets without them even holding you up.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 December 2018, 13:12:48 »

I had a smart meter fitted ..........

So did I .......... and then it was promptly removed again due to lack of signal. My electric meter is in a cupboard that has a steel bi-fold door and foil backed plasterboard.
Smart meter man turns up, says he shouldn't be more than ten minutes, even though they book an hour to be on the safe side, and proceeds to fit the new meter. Two hours later he gives up and fits my old meter back in place.  ;D
I assume my address is now listed as 'It no workie'.  ::)

Anyway, what's this got to do with DVLA clampers.  :-\ 
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 20 December 2018, 13:19:39 »

I had a smart meter fitted ..........

So did I .......... and then it was promptly removed again due to lack of signal. My electric meter is in a cupboard that has a steel bi-fold door and foil backed plasterboard.
Smart meter man turns up, says he shouldn't be more than ten minutes, even though they book an hour to be on the safe side, and proceeds to fit the new meter. Two hours later he gives up and fits my old meter back in place.  ;D
I assume my address is now listed as 'It no workie'.  ::)

Anyway, what's this got to do with DVLA clampers.  :-\
[/highlight]

You can't just have one subject in a thread on OOF, it's the law.  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 December 2018, 13:58:27 »

Ahh let’s have lampers ;D👀
Laying a rubber road.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 December 2018, 14:07:50 »

I had a smart meter fitted, the privacy concerns don't really bother me to be honest, nor the threat of disconnection (which they could do anyway, as my meter is outside, before the smart meter was ever fitted) as I'm not a deadbeat ;D

The only thing that concerns me is that, once we're all driving EVs and the grid has collapsed under the pressure of charging, they'll start remotely turning my power off so that the important people can charge their cars.

Don't worry. I'm sure one of those american boat anchors in your garage would be "adequate" when coupled to a generator.

Until the "important people" ban petrol, at least... ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ballcock50

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 December 2018, 21:11:18 »

It amazes me how they can claim it will save you money, and annoys me that they think we are incapable of saving energy without them. As for agencies collecting info about you, I refuse the loyalty cards offered on those grounds.

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 December 2018, 21:32:47 »

Sure have gone off subject and the vehicle is still SORN so looks like i'll have to keep down the drive but it shows they are patrolling the lesser roads in towns

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 December 2018, 22:02:44 »

It’s a pain, you’ve took the trouble to try to follow the law be gettiing it sorn, then they come along telling you where to park it on your own land! As I said earlier if you had sorned it parked it up where you did and took the plates off, no one would have been any the wiser. It’s your ground after all.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 December 2018, 22:57:29 »

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

Perhaps you should clearly define your property  ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 December 2018, 14:56:03 »

Sure have gone off subject and the vehicle is still SORN so looks like i'll have to keep down the drive but it shows they are patrolling the lesser roads in towns

They have targeted areas, depending on the levels of untaxed to registered vehicles in an area.,,,

As a side not HMRC have more powers of entry than the police.Be better for the police on a raid, taking a revenue man with them. 

For gbh get 3years, fiddle your tax/vat get 10 years... Don't break with HMRC.. :o
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 15:00:26 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 December 2018, 16:02:18 »

If you use social media at all, especially Arsebook, Google or other search engines, then those tech companies will know more about you than you remember about yourself. If you use a device with your location like a mobile, regardless (as we have just found out from a Google leak) whether you have it turned on or off all your movements are recorded and if you have a voice activated spy assistant, then they have your conversations and voice analysis. Include any pictures on the Internet then you are in facial recognition databases. Arsebook share & sell all this data to Russia & China and anyone else they can make a buck from, where you are the product.

All the search engines know lots about all of us from OOF where the website is spidered and indexed regularly.

This a 21st century fact of life and when the Axis of Evil (China, DPRK, Iran & Russia) rule the world then we will all be cradle to grave micro monitored, managed, rewarded & punished using China's 'Good Citizen' monitoring system. A little later than planned but welcome to 1984 anyway. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 December 2018, 17:17:21 »

Ah yes, but we will all be Muslim by then and know how to respond. :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 24 December 2018, 17:37:52 »

It amazes me how they can claim it will save you money, and annoys me that they think we are incapable of saving energy with out them.

What I don't get is how will changing my meter save electrickey, My products will still use the same amount, Is it me.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 December 2018, 18:04:39 »

It amazes me how they can claim it will save you money, and annoys me that they think we are incapable of saving energy with out them.

What I don't get is how will changing my meter save electrickey, My products will still use the same amount, Is it me.

Yes it's you.  :P

The idea as I understand it, is that you can see how much you are spending on electricity as you use it.  :-\

So when you turn on your electric blanket on so you have a nice warm bed to go to, but then you can see it's cost you 2p to warm up your bed.  ::)

I think you are supposed to think "Christ I'm not spending that I'll bleddy freeze!"  :o  ;)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 27 December 2018, 08:29:15 »

I think you are supposed to think "Christ I'm not spending that I'll bleddy freeze!"  :o  ;)  ;D

Precisely. This is just a way to get everyone used to the idea of being cold in preparation for the rolling blackouts so that we can all charge our Teslas.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 December 2018, 10:01:14 »

Yes it's you.  :P

The idea as I understand it, is that you can see how much you are spending on electricity as you use it.  :-\

So when you turn on your electric blanket on so you have a nice warm bed to go to, but then you can see it's cost you 2p to warm up your bed.  ::)

I haven't got a lecktricky blanket, >:(.  Also be fudged if I'm going to go outside every time I switch something on to see how much it costs,..
That French lot keep sending me letters about getting a smart meter fitted, I just give them the Agincourt salute. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #49 on: 27 December 2018, 10:11:56 »

Smart Meters come with a little gizmo you plug in indoors that tell you exactly how much everything is costing you. By using your electricity.

You don't have to go outside.

See, doesn't that make you want one even more?  :y ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.