Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any good data SIM deals?  (Read 4438 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Any good data SIM deals?
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2018, 22:02:10 »

I've use 3 in every European country (EDIT: actually, not Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City...) west of, and including, Poland. And not had an issue in any of them. I would recommend them without hesitation.

But TB and I have clearly had very different 3 experiences. I run a dual SIM Vodafone and 3 now, the two networks have different dead spots but overall they're pretty similar IME. Not used voda outside the UK though as it's blocked by work (tight bar stewards)  ;D

They are also doing a lot to improve signal in rural England.  Example: my parents live in a village near Ludlow and their network has gone from basically nothing to a consistent 10mb 4g connection, with better speed outside.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2018, 22:06:23 by jimmy944 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2018, 12:28:21 »

Downside of 3 is a shockingly useless coverage in the UK.  My only experience of 3 abroad is in the USA, and coverage seemed poor there, but I think that's just America, as their roaming partners were AT&T and Verizon.

we could not get 3 to work in either france or spain, on the trip over there this year,went to the shop today to find out why, fec king useless,got to ring customer service oh joy
I had similar with 3 customer service a few years back, when I'd ordered a SIM online, but apparently they'd sent the wrong one, so it couldn't be used for a MiFi unit, and they'd need to send me another. But as I was away from home, that was no good to me, so they suggested going into a 3 shop.  The 3 shop were unwilling to swap the SIM over, telling me I'd have to ring customer service, but I couldn't ring them from their shop.  When I walked back in with customer service on the other end of my mobile, they refused to even speak to them, and I was manhandled from the shop, as other customers in there were starting to realise what a shower of shits they were.

Not that I think any other mobile company's customer service is much better.

My only concern with 3 in Great Briton is poor coverage, as the data (when you have coverage) is "fast enough" for my simple browsing/email/remote access needs.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2018, 13:09:19 »

I remember getting my Freeserve CD through the post. Our email address was @btinternet.co.uk and dial up was 1p a minute.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2018, 14:30:56 »

I've use 3 in every European country (EDIT: actually, not Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City...) west of, and including, Poland. And not had an issue in any of them. I would recommend them without hesitation.

But TB and I have clearly had very different 3 experiences. I run a dual SIM Vodafone and 3 now, the two networks have different dead spots but overall they're pretty similar IME. Not used voda outside the UK though as it's blocked by work (tight bar stewards)  ;D

They are also doing a lot to improve signal in rural England.  Example: my parents live in a village near Ludlow and their network has gone from basically nothing to a consistent 10mb 4g connection, with better speed outside.

I’ve also used 3 all over Europe, Australia and New Zealand with very few issues. The latter 2 being free roaming with “Feel at home” :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2018, 15:40:29 »

I’ve also used 3 all over Europe, Australia and New Zealand with very few issues. The latter 2 being free roaming with “Feel at home” :y
Roaming (outside Europe) is the primary use of my 3 SIM :y.
Grumpy old man

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2018, 19:04:53 »

I had a 3 sim in my duel sim phone last august in europe,
the EE sim worked most places, (11 countries) the 3 sim didnt work past dover.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2018, 02:27:38 »

Clearly not unlocked for roaming then...  ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2018, 07:10:45 »

Clearly not unlocked for roaming then...  ;)
And there was me thinking surprised he got coverage that far.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2018, 10:25:40 »

Roaming (outside Europe) is the primary use of my 3 SIM :y.

Likewise. I was even pleasantly surprised to find it roamed (inclusive on my allowance) in Israel.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 December 2018, 19:13:35 »

Ive got an EE Double Speed Data Sim, 32GB which I get 50% Discount on, works out about £15 a month, your welcome to use that if you want to foot the Bill on a month to month basis Varche, or if you wanted to take it on I could probably Transfer it over to you as a Family and Friends Transfer, just need to check that the Discount will go over with it.

Its a Data Sim, so no Mins induced, does have 100 Texts per month included though, and it has an Roaming Allowance included, cant remember exactly what now, Tethering not a Problem, so can be used in a Phone (Hot Spot), Tablet, MiFi Device or Mobile Broadband Device (which is what it was designed for, hence why its one of those Double Speed jobbies)

Its out of Contract now, so its effectively a 30 Day Contract Sim, so as per norm, 30 days notice to Terminate, one of my Sons is currently using it at the moment until His Broadband gets connected which I think is in the first Week into January.

That is a great offer, thanks.  Could you check the roaming part please?. If a good percentage is available to roam I would have it for six months .
Ok Varche, had a looong chat with EE today re the Data Roaming, wasnt easy, never is or straight foward, but in a nut shell, yes, but All EE Customers are given a 15gb pm Data Roaming Fair Use Policy or Capping.

So the Data Sim Im talking about current has 32Gb which has a Pre Roaming agreement on (ie None) but they will change that for a 30gb UK with EU Roam on it, for a couple of quid more, without me losing my Discount or having to sign up for another Plan, ie Im still on 30 Day Termination, which with the Discount works out about £17 per month. But there is still the 15 GB Cap on it when Roaming. So the Other option (because I moaned) is they can put me on a lower Tariff say 15Gb UK and EU which will give 15GB in UK or 15 GB in EU when Roaming, this will work out at £25 less my Discount so will bring down to about £12 pm. again no loss of Discount and continue on a 30 Day notice, will this be of use to you in your your Travels.?

With the above because of my Privileges with EE I retain the right to revert back to my original 32GB UK Sim when the Travels are finished. There may be an RRP price increase around April time, All Networks do this now, which will be around 50p to a £1 depending on the Plan.

I also get very good Deals and Discounts with Vodafone which as a Business Customer probably wont have any Roaming Restrictions attached but that will mean you committing to a 12 Month Plan, which Is probably something you dont wont to do but maybe worth considering? I also asked about transferring the Sim over to you, which they will agree on and carry on the 30 Day Notice but you will not get the Discount benefits or be able to change plans etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2019, 11:40:59 »

Nonsense.  ::)

I can get a signal anywhere in Brackers except the Tiffins... Which was exactly the same with Eeek

The only real person who has issues with 3 is TuBy ;)

It’s generally more reliable than my work phone on O2
Looks like the OFCOM report has a confidentiality clause. Opps.

Here is another which doesn't, which shows virtually identical results, from a respected mobile analytics firm...

http://p3-networkanalytics.com/portfolio-item/uk-2-2/

Essentially, Evil Everywhere is best in all categories, 3 does well on data speed in larger towns but otherwise pretty poor, particularly in the real world long term tests.

So, hopefully that's finally put that one to bed.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2019, 11:49:32 »

I have a phone with two SIMs in it - EE and 3. EE does seem to have better LTE coverage than 3, most places I go, but when there isn't EE coverage there's almost always 3 coverage (defining "coverage" as "usable 4G") unless I'm really in the sticks.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.