Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Titan TTL488GDO petrol strimmer  (Read 6821 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Titan TTL488GDO petrol strimmer
« on: 19 May 2019, 23:49:14 »

I have been given the above strimmer as a non-worker and as yet haven't investigted it, due to lack of strip-down instructions.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine, because it also has a hedge trimmer/weed and shrub trimmer attachment which would be ideal for cutting back the forest on my grandparents' graves (long story there...)

Ron.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Titan TTL488GDO petrol strimmer
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 06:17:12 »

Probably seized through lack of oil.
I like red cars

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 10:23:22 »

I have been given the above strimmer as a non-worker and as yet haven't investigted it, due to lack of strip-down instructions.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine, because it also has a hedge trimmer/weed and shrub trimmer attachment which would be ideal for cutting back the forest on my grandparents' graves (long story there...)

Ron.

I have a similar unit from Titan that's just a brush cutter. When I pulled it out the shed last spring, I discovered that the fuel lines had rotted/perished and were not taking up fuel from the tank. I replaced them and it ran like it always had.

Not saying that's your issue but worth checking as it was an easy fix  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 10:27:01 »

Yep, fuel lines are a common issue, and replacements are easy to find online.

On mine (a ryobi), there was a little fuel filter on the end of the fuel line in the tank. This has disintegrated and bits of paper from the element had been drawn into the carb, blocking it.

I removed the carb, stripped it down and gave it half an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner, then a soak in carb cleaner and blew out all the passages with an airline. Reassembled, tuned it up and it's as good as new. :y

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 10:34:34 »

Another mower thread!! :o :o :o :o

Where have all the tyre threads gone? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2019, 10:40:02 »

Some good pointers in the right direction, gents - thanks. I still need disassembly directions, if any such things exist?
The lady from whom I obtained the strimmer didn't even know if it had a 2 or 4 stroke engine (that's women* for you!), and when I asked if anone added oil to the petrol, she said that she had never seen her husband put any oil in it - could be a clue there?

*Ahem, sorry Lizzie.

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2019, 10:40:50 »

Shurrup Lizzie - it's a strimmer, NOT a mower!

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2019, 10:43:25 »

Some good pointers in the right direction, gents - thanks. I still need disassembly directions, if any such things exist?
The lady from whom I obtained the strimmer didn't even know if it had a 2 or 4 stroke engine (that's women* for you!), and when I asked if anone added oil to the petrol, she said that she had never seen her husband put any oil in it - could be a clue there?

*Ahem, sorry Lizzie.

Ron.

o problem Ron. My ex used to look after the mower, a man's job if ever there was!! 8) 8) :D ;)

Never remember seeing him aid oil to the petrol though.  It was a Suffolk Punch, but that is all my simple mind could take ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2019, 10:47:51 »

Shurrup Lizzie - it's a strimmer, NOT a mower!

Ron.

There you go Ron.  What do I know about mowers, sorry, strimmers?! ::) ;D :-*

Mind you I do not need to know about them as I have a fleet of council employees with the biggest mowers and strimmers frequently mowing my "lawn" out the back - about seven football fields size park.  The best way to have a garden! 8) 8) :-* ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2019, 10:53:59 »

*Ahem, sorry Lizzie.

Ron.

There really isn't much to glean from instructions in many cases, TBH. They are simple devices. Replace the fuel lines, fill it with a 2 stroke mix using fresh petrol and see if it'll go. If it won't, take out the spark plug, check its condition, and that you have a spark when pulling it over.

Failing that, take off the cover on the air filter and you'll probably find some screws that run through the carb and attach the whole lot to the engine. Take the carb off and see if it has any identifying marks. You might find you can google these and find a manual for the carb, and often there are rebuild kits available from a famous auction site.

One common failure is that the priming bulb on the top of the car can perish and it won't then draw fuel from the tank. These are available quite cheaply, and if you're taking the carb apart you might as well fit a new one anyway.

If it runs but poorly 2 stroke carbs usually have 2 mixture adjustment screws for the slow and fast running circuits in the carb. These are often marked "L" and "H" respectively, and often have anti-tamper caps fitted. If it idles poorly, try turning the "L" screw half a turn in each direction to see if you can impriove it. Generally tune it for the point of fastest/smoothest  running. If it stalls when you try to raise the revs, often the slow running is a little lean. Fast running should be tuned with an open throttle for maximum revs with just a little blue haze from the exhaust. This all assumes it's 2 stroke, of course. Many are going over to 4 stroke these days.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2019, 11:11:07 »

As Kevin said .
Check fuel lines are intact and pick up filter is clear, remove air filter for test . If fuel lines are clear you will see the petroil mix pass through the carb when you push the priming bulb, if not pull out return pipe and check.
Remove spark plug and see if you have compression , check if you have a GOOD spark .
Get a multi meter and check that the on/off switch is working .
If it still doesn't start then just replace the carb as the paper gaskets with needle flaps will tear when you try to dismantle it . The carbs are incredibly cheap and I have bought and fitted at least 5 over the years , buy the special ( Pac man ) D type mix adjuster if you do replace it .  The ignition coil could also be at fault giving weak and ineffective spark , which again is a cheap replacement but a little trickier to select as there are many more options due to to bolt pitch and distance from magnet on shaft .
I have two of those three in one machines and they are very handy and versatile , worth the effort to get it going.
Don

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2019, 11:40:32 »

Ask her if she still has the receipt. If it's under two years old just take it back to screwfix and get a new one.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2019, 12:21:43 »

If it still doesn't start then just replace the carb

This is very true. It was only dogged determination that prompted me to rebuild mine. With the price of them, it doesn't really make sense if you just want it back working again with minimal pain. :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2019, 13:38:23 »

Oooh, a garden machine thread, I'm in.  :y

Just to add to all of the above, just pull the starter cord first to make sure it hasn't seized before spending out on it. If you have compression, spark and fuel it's worth tinkering with. If it starts and then dies, strip the carb and replace the fuel diaphragm gasket with a carb kit. It is only this gasket resonating that pulls the fuel through, no clever pumps or anything. The primer bulb is used to fill the little chamber, the machine starts, the fuel gasket resonates and keeps the fuel coming in. If the gasket has gone brittle or has a split in, it won't work as it should. I've worked on loads of these as my wife's friend is on the allotment society so whenever a machine plays up my wife says "Don't worry, my husband with have a look at that for you". She's very kind like that, for offering my services.  ::)
Even on really old machines, I have never felt the need to replace a carb, even on fourty odd year old Briggs Rotavators that I work on. I've never quite understood how a carb can wear out, it's the replaceable parts that wear and they are all in the carb kit. Considering you can whip off the carb, strip, clean and rebuild with new gaskets in about ten minutes, it isn't a massive chore and the kit costs about a fiver, unless you buy genuine  ::) Honda for Honda machines and then it will cost you twenty eight pound.  ::) (Don't ever bother doing that as the gaskets are the same as the cheap ones)
So, pull that cord and report back.   :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2019, 14:52:18 »

Oooh, a garden machine thread, I'm in.  :y

Just to add to all of the above, just pull the starter cord first to make sure it hasn't seized before spending out on it. If you have compression, spark and fuel it's worth tinkering with. If it starts and then dies, strip the carb and replace the fuel diaphragm gasket with a carb kit. It is only this gasket resonating that pulls the fuel through, no clever pumps or anything. The primer bulb is used to fill the little chamber, the machine starts, the fuel gasket resonates and keeps the fuel coming in. If the gasket has gone brittle or has a split in, it won't work as it should. I've worked on loads of these as my wife's friend is on the allotment society so whenever a machine plays up my wife says "Don't worry, my husband with have a look at that for you". She's very kind like that, for offering my services.  ::)
Even on really old machines, I have never felt the need to replace a carb, even on fourty odd year old Briggs Rotavators that I work on. I've never quite understood how a carb can wear out, it's the replaceable parts that wear and they are all in the carb kit. Considering you can whip off the carb, strip, clean and rebuild with new gaskets in about ten minutes, it isn't a massive chore and the kit costs about a fiver, unless you buy genuine  ::) Honda for Honda machines and then it will cost you twenty eight pound.  ::) (Don't ever bother doing that as the gaskets are the same as the cheap ones)
So, pull that cord and report back.   :)

Thanks YZ250 - where do I get a carb kit, etc., from, please? As yet I don't even know the make of the carb, so busy with hospital appointments.....lucky me!

Ron.

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.