Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recomendation request - 12 Volt Tyre Inflator.  (Read 2196 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Recomendation request - 12 Volt Tyre Inflator.
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2019, 23:33:03 »

Try to get one that's supplied with the gunge instead of a spare wheel.
They're compact, quick, efficient and quiet.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2019, 09:47:32 »

Wilko's do one for £12.99.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2019, 09:51:38 »

I picked up one from a junk shop recently. Unbranded but looks to have come from a Japanese car of some sort. Big chunky motor about the size of a wiper motor so it's low speed and bearable noise levels, unlike the high-revving, deafening, lasts-one-inflation-before-dying types the motor factors sell.

I'm still jealous of the Porsche one 2woody has.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2019, 10:23:40 »

check ebay for one from the main stream car manufacturers, there are usually loads about and cost very little.

I have a GM one from circa 2008 and its been superb, reasonably well made, convenient, cost peanuts and has been totally reliable with plenty of use.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2019, 10:26:11 »

I picked up one from a junk shop recently. Unbranded but looks to have come from a Japanese car of some sort. Big chunky motor about the size of a wiper motor so it's low speed and bearable noise levels, unlike the high-revving, deafening, lasts-one-inflation-before-dying types the motor factors sell.

Yeah, what happened to him? ???

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2019, 12:23:09 »

I was just thinking the same of you.

I wondered if you had 'passed on' ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2019, 12:45:47 »

I had one of those from a porche, was superb, also had a Black & Decker rechargable, that was a waste of space. >:(
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2019, 16:25:02 »

I was just thinking the same of you.

I wondered if you had 'passed on' ;)

I have to check myself daily! ::)
Also, been away cruisin'. (No not that type ;D)
« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 16:27:34 by Shackeng »

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2019, 17:09:27 »

i purchased one from aldi on-line. it resembles a drill & charged up its ample to check & inflate all tyres. if the battery is dead then you can plug into a 12v socket. i have had loads before & i find this to be better than others.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2019, 17:13:12 »

i purchased one from aldi on-line. it resembles a drill & charged up its ample to check & inflate all tyres. if the battery is dead then you can plug into a 12v socket. i have had loads before & i find this to be better than others.

I have one of those for use at home to save messing about with compressor just to inflate a tyre; it's very good. Works on my bike too.

But the square blue ones from tyre repair kits are better for keeping in the car.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2019, 18:43:14 »

On the Jag forum taking Jaguars to bits .

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2019, 19:59:11 »

Got a Halfrauds one. Had it over 20 years and still works ok, just a bit slow. Just make sure that the 12v socket in the car works. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2019, 08:53:30 »

At home, I just use the compressor. As I have a retractable hose permentently connected to one of its outputs, its quicker than messing with anything else.

I also have a portable, rechargeable one that's built into a jumpstarter, which is also pretty good compared to most 12v ones. I got it from Costco, but note that don't sell that one any more. Although its a shade too big to keep in the car.

So watching with interest :)

Previously had a few of the 12v jobbies, all of which were noisy, slow, and died quickly.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2019, 19:09:47 »

Another vote for the Halfords one. Includes a decent torch function (useless until you need it, sort of thing, I've used this function alone when changing a tyre at night) one of those where you set the pressure, leave it running and read a book/drink tea/get on with other jobs until it automatically cuts out. Inflates to 0.5psi increments.

Only nitpick is I'd like one of those fittings where you use a little lever to attach onto the valve, instead of actually screwing it on ten turns before making a seal.

Had a far-longer-than-I-should period of leaky rims, so it was in use nearly daily, for many months. Must have had it 4-5 years now. Expected it to go kaput but still good as new. Doesn't get hellish hot like some I've known, either.

Pressure readout shows barely any difference (we're talking 1-ish-psi) between it and a PCL analogue pressure gauge so pretty accurate too. I always inflate to 0.5psi higher than I mean to, just to account for that 1-2 secs of pressure loss when you unscrew the thing. 

this one
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-inflator?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Garage+Equipment-_-Tyre+Inflators+&+Pressure+Gauges-_-239066&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=xxtwxt&istBid=tztx&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:1537737348|agid:57846659759|tid:aud-271742666404:pla-402615917485|crid:291898457450|nw:g|rnd:3462292182618073269|dvc:c|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:1006656&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz6PnBRCPARIsANOtCw2fTqeWD69ZOX99glfpxG0A0Nf4uvhUwwHHdYcydzP6tU22yiZLHTUaAu0qEALw_wcB
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.