Chat Area > General Car Chat

Oh how I love garages

(1/6) > >>

Viral_Jim:
 Oh how I love garages  ::)

Pulled the crankshaft pulley bolt only to discover that the previous belt change had been completed courtesy of some barely trained chimp...

So the T'can will have to wait until next weekend when I can get a replacement pulley bolt. I just hope I don't have to drill and tap the crank and go up a size. What do you chaps think, hoping in vain?

ronnyd:
You might be able to clear that thread out if you can source a tap. Do you a friendly m/c shop?

biggriffin:
 Go to local fastner supply's take bolt, ask do you have one of these, guessing it's a m,14*1.25

Viral_Jim:

--- Quote from: biggriffin on 27 May 2019, 16:34:58 --- Go to local fastner supply's take bolt, ask do you have one of these, guessing it's a m,14*1.25

--- End quote ---

Good idea, ive found a good-looking local place. Cheers :y

--- Quote from: ronnyd on 27 May 2019, 16:29:52 ---You might be able to clear that thread out if you can source a tap. Do you a friendly m/c shop?

--- End quote ---

Sadly not, not round here at least (not had chance to make a nuisance of myself yet!). Once I've got the bolt spec, I'll probably just order one from Amazon, given it will probably be a single-use item in my lifetime.  ;D

My main issue is I'm not sure how to determine thread pitch (will Google later) so I'll just goto the fastener place and ask them what they've sold me  ;D. Everything I've tapped before has been M5 / M6 size and threads are either "coarse" or "fine". But I suspect it's a bit more technical than that   ;D

Nick W:

--- Quote from: jimmy944 on 27 May 2019, 17:43:54 ---
--- Quote from: biggriffin on 27 May 2019, 16:34:58 --- Go to local fastner supply's take bolt, ask do you have one of these, guessing it's a m,14*1.25

--- End quote ---

Good idea, ive found a good-looking local place. Cheers :y

--- Quote from: ronnyd on 27 May 2019, 16:29:52 ---You might be able to clear that thread out if you can source a tap. Do you a friendly m/c shop?

--- End quote ---

Sadly not, not round here at least (not had chance to make a nuisance of myself yet!). Once I've got the bolt spec, I'll probably just order one from Amazon, given it will probably be a single-use item in my lifetime.  ;D

My main issue is I'm not sure how to determine thread pitch (will Google later) so I'll just goto the fastener place and ask them what they've sold me  ;D . Everything I've tapped before has been M5 / M6 size and threads are either "coarse" or "fine". But I suspect it's a bit more technical than that   ;D

--- End quote ---

The easiest way is to use a thread pitch gauge, but if you had one you'd have done that already. It's worth buying one for other jobs, as they're cheap. Mine was about £5.

Next is to measure the distance between each thread crest using a caliper -  a cheap digital one will be plenty good enough and you might already have one. You'll be looking at a measurement of 1.25, 1.5 or maybe 1.75 mm.

If you have a decent steel rule you could use that, but it does require a good eye.

While you have the measuring kit out, check the diameter of the thread as well. This will enable you to acquire a correctly sized bolt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version