Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Rear Cig Power

(1/2) > >>

tunnie:
I plugged a USB adaptor into rear cig lighter, to power a mobile device.

The ignition was not on (no key in barrel) and I’ve not driven the car for at least 24 hours, yet as soon as it was plugged in the device started to charge.  :-\

Found this searching...

--- Quote from: Fuse 19 on 06 March 2013, 10:33:40 ---Also be aware that on 2001 model years onwards that the rear cig lighter becomes an aux power port and is switched by a power relay, this remains on for some time (cant remember quite how long but 30-60 mins rings a bell)

--- End quote ---

Is that 60 mins from when power is requested or ignition off.

Concerned about overnight battery drain.

(2002 Elite)

Kevin Wood:
The ignition doesn't have to be on to trigger the timer. Just unlocking the car or opening a door will do it. IME it runs for about 10 minutes though.

Easiest way to check if you have an issue is to plug a phone charger or similar with an LED into the socket, close the doors and leave the car for a while then check that the LED eventually extinguishes.

tunnie:
Thanks Kevin  :y

YZ250:

--- Quote from: Kevin Wood on 13 June 2019, 09:57:17 ---The ignition doesn't have to be on to trigger the timer. Just unlocking the car or opening a door will do it. IME it runs for about 10 minutes though.

Easiest way to check if you have an issue is to plug a phone charger or similar with an LED into the socket, close the doors and leave the car for a while then check that the LED eventually extinguishes.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I can vouch for the above as my dash cam is permanently plugged in to my rear 12V socket with no ill effect on the battery. As soon as I open any door, I hear the dash cam come to life, but when you close the door and lock it the power light goes off about six minutes later.  :y

TheBoy:
Yup, its powered via the consumer relay, which you can normally hear turn off after a few minutes if you're sat in the car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version