Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the 3 things that wind me up the most!  (Read 6465 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: the 3 things that wind me up the most!
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2007, 10:07:04 »

My biggest hate is people following too close. The normal following distance seems to be about 1 1/2 car lengths these days. Yes, there might be some self-righteous guy up in front who drives at 45 mph in a 60 limit but leaving insufficient space between vehicles won't get you there any quicker.

If people follow me too close I immediately double the distance between me and the car in front because I've now got to consider the idiot behind before I stop.

Following too close also makes it extremely hazardous to overtake because there is nowhere to go if you have to pull back in. It's a vicious circle that leads to increased frustration.

Second on the list is probably poor lane discipline on Motorways.

Third is lorries who "snail race" on dual carriageways. I don't care if one lorry is doing 0.01 MPH more than the other. It's hardly going to make a big difference to his journey time if he has to back off occasionally. If there is a queue of cars behind them who can comfortably cruise 10-20 MPH or more faster then it's inconsiderate to hold them up.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2007, 10:17:40 »

Third is lorries who "snail race" on dual carriageways....... If there is a queue of cars behind them who can comfortably cruise 10-20 MPH or more faster then it's inconsiderate to hold them up.
Kevin

Ahh! but might has right!!  >:( Go east on the M62 in to Yorkshire, there are 4 lanes going up the long incline and the HGV's use 3 of the 4 lanes with as you say 1/2 mph between 'em all. That obviously leaves just the outside lane for the rest of us mere mortals  >:(  >:(

Just wait till I get my caravan on the road and that can be added to the list of pet hates!!  ;)  ;D  ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2007, 10:18:03 »

My biggest hate is people following too close. The normal following distance seems to be about 1 1/2 car lengths these days. Yes, there might be some self-righteous guy up in front who drives at 45 mph in a 60 limit but leaving insufficient space between vehicles won't get you there any quicker.

If people follow me too close I immediately double the distance between me and the car in front because I've now got to consider the idiot behind before I stop.

Following too close also makes it extremely hazardous to overtake because there is nowhere to go if you have to pull back in. It's a vicious circle that leads to increased frustration.

Second on the list is probably poor lane discipline on Motorways.

Third is lorries who "snail race" on dual carriageways. I don't care if one lorry is doing 0.01 MPH more than the other. It's hardly going to make a big difference to his journey time if he has to back off occasionally. If there is a queue of cars behind them who can comfortably cruise 10-20 MPH or more faster then it's inconsiderate to hold them up.

Kevin

Thats why I think wagons should be banned to the inside lane
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2007, 10:36:50 »

In my opinion their speed limiters should be updated to talk to each other so that as they come close to each other it adjusts out any differences in the limited speed. Then there'd be no need to overtake except when one is unable to maintain the limited speed up an incline, in which case the speed difference will be greater anyway.

Problem is, for every courteous lorry driver there are half a dozen (usually foreign) ones who really don't give a damn when driving on our roads.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2007, 11:54:42 »

In my opinion their speed limiters should be updated to talk to each other so that as they come close to each other it adjusts out any differences in the limited speed. ......

Back on the M62  ::) .... but in the opposite direction ..... speed limiters don't make any difference when they have gravity on their side & they're coasting! >:( It's worrying to say the least when you can't get into lane 3 and you've got 40 tonnes sat about 6' off your back bumper in the middel lane!  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2007, 11:57:26 »

As in some countries in continental europe! We don't have any politicians with enough balls to introduce it here.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2007, 14:02:36 »

speed limiters don't make any difference when they have gravity on their side & they're coasting!

They might do if they were hooked up to their retarders too!

Kevin

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2007, 14:10:40 »

They might do if they were hooked up to their retarders too!

Kevin

Better still if it was linked up to between their legs!  :o  :y

Jimmy

• Blandford, Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2007, 14:45:38 »

On a section of the A1 in County Durham the Highways Agency are trialling an HGV ban in lane 2 to see if it cuts down congestion at peak periods.  HGVs are confined to the inside lane (it is only 2 lane) between 7am and 7pm.  Not sure how well it is working yet, or if any HGV drivers are taking notice of it.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/newsroom.aspx?newsid=18105011
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 14:52:12 by Jimmy »

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2007, 17:57:18 »

My current pet hate is when you've spent almost an hour or more on cruise doing the national limit and are busy overtaking (having first checked that there's a sufficiently BIG and safe gap) only to find someone attempting to break the landspeed record, in usually the most inappropriate vehicle (like a 4x4, or these pickups that seem to be increasingly popular), charges up behind you flashing, honking, waving their arms (often both, just make sure they're well and truly out of control of their vehicle).

I can understand, to some degree, people getting a bit miffed with people sitting in the outside lane and doing less than the national limit when they really have no need to be there - ie they're not overtaking!  But to almost ram you off the road because they apparently didn't understand that 70 means 70, not 100+ mph seems just crazy.

That and speeding in roadworks.  I still don't get that.  Even if the roadworks appear deserted - 40mph (or whatever they've set it to) means 40mph.  God help the poor guy who just gets wiped out doing their job.  Wonder if they get danger money!?

I drove in Germany for a year, and they seemed to have a different attitude.  Their roadworks were really short sections (so no going for miles before you actually see men doing work, and you were free to retrun to normal speed just after the works) but everyone seemed to respect the fact they were working there, and doing what was a pretty damn hazardous job.

miggy

« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2007, 19:03:05 »

come on then, no one has mentioned CARAVANS, I pull a caravan, as i am sure a lot of you do, whats your opinions on these, are there many Jeremy Clarksons out there???????

;D ;D  

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2007, 19:08:26 »

i dont mind caravans, i dont often see them actually causing much trouble

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2007, 19:28:45 »

come on then, no one has mentioned CARAVANS, I pull a caravan, as i am sure a lot of you do, whats your opinions on these, are there many Jeremy Clarksons out there???????

;D ;D  

I thought I had!  ;)
I'm picking my 'new' 'van up a week on Friday. It always amuses me the people who HAVE to get passed you no matter what - even if they are then going to travel slower than you were in the first place  >:(
A 'van on the back of a 3.0 Omega isn't slow ;)  :y

miggy

« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2007, 19:36:16 »

Or the prat that has to pull out in front of you at a junction just to beat "The Caravan"

;D ;D

;D ;D  

I thought I had!  ;)
I'm picking my 'new' 'van up a week on Friday. It always amuses me the people who HAVE to get passed you no matter what - even if they are then going to travel slower than you were in the first place  >:(
A 'van on the back of a 3.0 Omega isn't slow ;)  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2007, 19:52:10 »

I flippin hate caravans. Cannot see the fascination. If you're going camping, go camping. If you want comfort, get a cottage.

The idea of being cramped up in a tiny box on wheels doesn't float my boat, and they shouldn't be allowed on roads at busy periods.

And yes, I have tried it. Pointless.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.