Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abingdon 4x4 Festival 2010  (Read 6973 times)

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
Abingdon 4x4 Festival 2010
« on: 25 April 2010, 15:35:08 »

Just wondering if any of you on here own a 4x4 as well and usually attend the Abingdon 4x4 Festival???

http://www.abingdon4x4festival.com/

If anyone does then I am one of the Off-road Course Scrutineers via BOFA4x4.

If you are going then let me know and I will meet up with you at the Start.

Regards
Simon

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • XC90/Maserati QPV/CooperS
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon 4x4 Festival 2010
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2010, 22:13:53 »

Hi Simon,
I went as a spectator a few years ago and enjoyed the day immensely - but it did look a bit too extreme for the 'soft road' metal.
I've got an XC90 which I took to ToR last year and intend taking again at the end of this month - what's the Abingdon course like for those that are a bit more challenged on ground clearance - but can cope with slippy and slopey stuff (doesn't do ruts well though !)
Cheers
Ian.
PS Are you likely to be at ToR on the 30th May ? - i'll be the nutter in the shiny XC90  :o

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2010, 22:30:20 »

Hi Simon,
I went as a spectator a few years ago and enjoyed the day immensely - but it did look a bit too extreme for the 'soft road' metal.
I've got an XC90 which I took to ToR last year and intend taking again at the end of this month - what's the Abingdon course like for those that are a bit more challenged on ground clearance - but can cope with slippy and slopey stuff (doesn't do ruts well though !)
Cheers
Ian.
PS Are you likely to be at ToR on the 30th May ? - i'll be the nutter in the shiny XC90  :o

There are two course at Abingdon, Standard and EXTREME.

I did the extreme last year and ended up having the Disco pulled out of the Mud Run :-(

The course is approx 4.5miles long and has over 50 marshals on the site, there are plenty of run off reas if you decide NOT to attempt some of the tricky stuff.
Also there is an oppertunity to sit in with plenty of people if you want to go around the course before taking your own car around the course.
If you come and see one of the BOFA lads we will take you for a run around for a little few pennies in the Macmillan Charity Bucket.

Here is mine after the MUD RUN.

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2010, 22:42:07 »

Wow - cool... a bit too ambitous for my machine.. :-X
Sounds like a plan Simon. I'm only in Bicester so it'd be a day trip for the diary - I'll stay tuned.
By the way - here's my efforts at ToR - I think they were pretty impressed actually - 1st Volvo they'd had round the course
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/p?p=GY23RkESdUB
The password is TOR2009

Cheers
Ian

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2010, 22:48:49 »

Wow - cool... a bit too ambitous for my machine.. :-X
Sounds like a plan Simon. I'm only in Bicester so it'd be a day trip for the diary - I'll stay tuned.
By the way - here's my efforts at ToR - I think they were pretty impressed actually - 1st Volvo they'd had round the course
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/p?p=GY23RkESdUB
The password is TOR2009

Cheers
Ian
Nice attempt Ian.

Yes if you are around over the weekend then come down to the Start of the Course and Ask for Me (Simon)
You won't miss us we will be in HiViz vests plastered in BOFA4x4 ;-)
And my Caravan will be at the start point with my Omega Estate there this year, if you ask nicely I will take you around in one of our lads 4x4s ;-)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2010, 20:13:59 »

Hi simon, I own a stock jeep cherokee 4.0l and would like to know if this is a good course to loose my off road virginety at, and are there peoples there that would be able to show me how to do it without trashing my ride home  ;D
 Gary.....
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2010, 20:43:03 »

Hi simon, I own a stock jeep cherokee 4.0l and would like to know if this is a good course to loose my off road virginety at, and are there peoples there that would be able to show me how to do it without trashing my ride home  ;D
 Gary.....

Hi Gary,

There are two courses (Standard and Extreme)

The course is approx 5 miles long and there are plenty of areas to turn off if you want to avoid areas you are worried about.

I am a member of TEAM BOFA4x4 and we will be on the start line doing the scrutineering and Marshalling.

We can give plenty of advice on the day so just come along and have a chat before lining up to go on the course.

There are also ASSISTED drives where a member of the 4x4 crew will get in with you and guide you around, also there is a choice to leave your car behind and go around in one of the guide 4x4's

Just ask for me if you turn up at the start point and I will point you in the correct direction. (SIMON)

Visit :- http://www.abingdon4x4festival.com/

And we have two sections on Facebook:-
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=319034640674&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abingdon-4x4-Festival/254189975351?ref=ts

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2010, 22:35:41 »

just to make people aware, if there are any 4x4's out there that are still interested or coming along to the Abingdon 4x4 Festival then it is not far away

66  Days   -- or --   9  Weeks and  3  Days

I will be there as previously said and have the Miggy parked up by the start of the Off-road course.

If anyone is around and wants to say hello then just come and see me at the Scrutineering point.

If you don't want to take your 4x4 on to the course then I can possibly make arrangements for one of our BOFA4x4 crew to take you for a passenger trip around the cource [size=9](For a small donation in our Macmillan Cancer Support Charity Bucket)[/size]

Kai

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxordshire
  • Just useless
    • Omega elite 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2010, 16:08:04 »

i will defo try and make it :)  :y :y
Guess I just couldn't stay away for the fourth time....

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2010, 21:02:34 »

..it's in my diary - intend to bring the Volvo - I'll have a look round before I commit it to a challenge though  :o

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2010, 21:06:55 »

..it's in my diary - intend to bring the Volvo - I'll have a look round before I commit it to a challenge though  :o

As said I will be there, just ask for me at the start ;-) And I might even brew you a nice warm cup of tea ;-)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2010, 21:35:27 »

I would like to get the disco up for this one . May see you there :y

david_omega

« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2010, 08:47:52 »

think this is the show we are takingthe thames valley road wars vectras to for the police club, will check dates, might take a senator and police omega up too

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2010, 08:57:18 »

think this is the show we are takingthe thames valley road wars vectras to for the police club, will check dates, might take a senator and police omega up too

That would be good if it was Simon.

Well it is the 10th Anniversary and they have said it is going to be bigger and better.

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2010, 21:03:42 »

Hi Simon (72)
Just been looking at ticket prices for this event - and is there a 'turn up and spectate on the day price' - or is that the £15 quoted on the website.
I was wondering if any of the chaps wanted to convene for an "Oxford No. 4" meet here and do there bit for chariddy but a tad cheaper than 15 quid just to park and watch  :-??
Gives everyone a bit of time to plan ahead with hopefully the silly season out of the way and the chance to watch some entertainment on the course.
It's reasonably central too considering where some of them travel from...... just a thought..

Cheers
Ian

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2010, 21:09:45 »

...oh by the way - if anyone has a preference of a particular day (Sat or Sunday) - let me know before I buy my day ticket for the full off road monty.... :-XI might need a tow home

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2010, 23:04:36 »

Hi Simon (72)
Just been looking at ticket prices for this event - and is there a 'turn up and spectate on the day price' - or is that the £15 quoted on the website.
I was wondering if any of the chaps wanted to convene for an "Oxford No. 4" meet here and do there bit for chariddy but a tad cheaper than 15 quid just to park and watch  :-??
Gives everyone a bit of time to plan ahead with hopefully the silly season out of the way and the chance to watch some entertainment on the course.
It's reasonably central too considering where some of them travel from...... just a thought..

Cheers
Ian

Unfortunately I have no control over the ticket price, so I believe it is £15.00 for the day, 9am open till late, there is going to be plenty of entertainment in the show ground and watching the antics on the course.

If you have a club that is interested in coming then I would suggest contacting the organisers and seeing if they can do you a discount price.

We as a club have a very reduced discount due to we are involved in the scrutinering and marsheling, but I am sure there are other things at the event that any other club can help out with (Car Parking / Guides etc)

I am not the main person in the club who sorts out the discount but we have done this for the last 6 years, and the organisers are always very helpful.

All the moneys raised on the gates got to charity anyway and for £15.00 you WILL get a great day out either on Saturday or Sunday.

Also there is the ability to camp over and see both days for FRIDAY evening till SUNDAY afternoon (£35.00) so extra night entertainment on the Friday ;-)

But remember if you are camping / caravaning then bring a generator to give your area some electricity for power etc.

Water on teh site is turned on at 3pm Friday.

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2010, 23:05:58 »

...oh by the way - if anyone has a preference of a particular day (Sat or Sunday) - let me know before I buy my day ticket for the full off road monty.... :-XI might need a tow home

Don't worry about a tow home, we will strip your car down and put it through the auto-jumble and all proceeds will go to charity ;-)

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2010, 18:16:40 »

Thanks Simon,
Understood - I have dropped one of the contacts on the website a mail declaring an interest by both Omega and Volvo forum members.

Slightly seperate question - through your 4x4 club contacts - is there someone you would recommend reasonably local(ish) to advise about additional 'skid plate' protection for the underside of my Volvo. Just curious at the moment if it would be possible.

Thanks
Ian.

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2010, 21:22:21 »

90% of our members drive land rovers a few drive mitshys and mercs, we don't have any members with volvos so no information available sorry. See you there

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2010, 23:03:47 »

Please read this if you are thinking of coming to the Abingdon 4x4 Festival.....

You will soon be able to spot me at the show ;-) and have a good laugh ;-)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1282168906/0#0

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2010, 22:42:34 »

Only 17 days or 418 hours till 8am (26/9/2010) The start of the Abingdon 4x4 Show ;-)

If you are coming then come and say hello at the start of the 4x4 course.. You wont miss me thats for sure.

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2010, 18:14:45 »

Only 17 days or 418 hours till 8am (26/9/2010) The start of the Abingdon 4x4 Show ;-)

If you are coming then come and say hello at the start of the 4x4 course.. You wont miss me thats for sure.

Hi Simon, all,
Just to let you know I've booked my ticket for the Saturday including the offroad course.
Anyone else going - I'll probably aim for mid morning arrival and I'll be in an XC90.
I take it you'll be easy to spot Simon with your day glo hair-do  :o

If any of the Oxford crowd are going - would be good to see you again.

Cheers
Ian.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2010, 19:02:59 »

Hi simon booked for the sunday inc the off road course, so looking forward to the day, will  make a point of coming over for a chat before diving in so to speak, see you there,
Gary. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2010, 22:44:17 »

Hi simon booked for the sunday inc the off road course, so looking forward to the day, will  make a point of coming over for a chat before diving in so to speak, see you there,
Gary. :y

No problem Gary, if you don't see me then just ask the guys and they will radio me and I will come over and say hello. Like I have said.. You wont miss me with the Green hair and Blue Beard ;-)

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2010, 18:06:28 »

Nice to have met you both Ian and Gary...

Hope you enjoyed your adventure around one of the more challenging 4.5 mile Off road courses.

I would just like to say a big thank your for your support in coming to the festival and helping ourselves and the other organisers raise well needed money for all the charities involved.

Within the next few days photos of the 2 days will go onto the following website.
http://www.abingdonphotos.com/

I think Ian this is one of you friends from the Volvo club who attempted the course just before you arrived, the photo was taken by a fellow BOFA4x4 member on the day, being closely followed behind by Tony from our club in his ML320.

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2010, 20:56:03 »

Hi Simon,
We had a fantastic day and actually that is mine you've got the photo of. It was really good to meet you. The other fella bailed out halfway round as he broke his steps too - and decided to quit while he was still solvent  :o.
Tony in the ML behind me - I was watching with interest as he followed me round - I cannot believe he tackled the step on the last section (the bit just behind me in the picture) I went round it and remember seeing the front of his car crashing over the top of it in my rear view mirror - very impressive - looked pretty brutal though  :-[.

I've got a couple of video clips I can put a link up for - if you know anyone who's got any clips of mine taken from the bank - I'd be very interested. You don't get to see much from in the vehicle trying to film (all the action is on the outside)
I'll keep an eye on the website - and I think you've got a couple of customers for the next one already lined up.
Brilliant day - hopefully put the Volvo on the map as more than just a school bus and shopping trolley for Ladies that lunch. The car has been fantastic - I love my Omega too though  :y

Please pass on my thanks to the marshalls - we were made really welcome ( I think they thought I was mad) and appreciated their advice as we ventured round the course.

I'll get the video link up soon.

Cheers
Ian.

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2010, 22:06:06 »

Hi Simon,

Tony in the ML behind me - I was watching with interest as he followed me round - I cannot believe he tackled the step on the last section (the bit just behind me in the picture) I went round it and remember seeing the front of his car crashing over the top of it in my rear view mirror - very impressive - looked pretty brutal though  :-[.

Glad you enjoyed the day, was nice to meet you, Tony only did a little damage (Bottom of front bumper torn off and the passenger side corner of bumper popped off its clips. Nothing too expensive, just a few £ for new plastic clips. Tony had just a small advantage on the Step due to he is running on 265/75/16 Mud Tyres ;-) so plenty of grip.

Will keep you informed of any new photos or when the site launches this years photos.

Will also send you an invite when NEXT YEAR is on. Maybe next year you and a few of the Omega / Volvo group could make it a long weekend and come on the Friday / Sat / Sunday and Camp over.

Regards Simon

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2010, 20:32:50 »

Thanks Simon,
I think we've got a few more followers from the Volvo forum aswell now they've seen some of the photos.

The link to the video clips is below - with password. Sorry for the quality - need to sort out a better camera technique for next year.

For those that didn't make it - the camera angles really don't do this justice. There was some amazing machinery there.
Enjoy.

URL for viewing the album from a computer
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/p?p=HcnYf47Saik

Password to access the online photo album:
Abingdon4x4

Cheers
Ian.

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2010, 20:49:35 »

Thanks Simon,
I think we've got a few more followers from the Volvo forum aswell now they've seen some of the photos.

The link to the video clips is below - with password. Sorry for the quality - need to sort out a better camera technique for next year.

For those that didn't make it - the camera angles really don't do this justice. There was some amazing machinery there.
Enjoy.

URL for viewing the album from a computer
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/p?p=HcnYf47Saik

Password to access the online photo album:
Abingdon4x4

Cheers
Ian.

For some reason I can't get any of the three videos to work, they go to a blank screen, then says buffing then says STOPPED ???

Strange, all three do the same. :o

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28 September 2010, 20:54:22 »

..works OK for me Simon - try dowloading them if it'll let you and save to desktop ??

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 September 2010, 19:31:23 »

For those who attended here are the official photos...

http://www.abingdonphotos.com/Abingdon2010/
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.