Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADSL Router Toast...  (Read 2983 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
ADSL Router Toast...
« on: 16 June 2007, 10:50:13 »

Must of had a close lightning strike yesterday as it toasted my ADSL Modem/router......and a few others in the Close to!

I hate buying things from PC World but, what choice do you have when you need the product in a rush!
« Last Edit: 16 June 2007, 10:58:33 by Mark »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: ADSL Router Toast...
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2007, 10:59:23 »

Must of had a close lightning strike yesterday as it toasted my ADSL Modem/router......and a few others in the Close to!

I hate buying things from PC World but, what choice do you have when you need the product in a rush!
i can give a router to lb66 tomorrow if thats any good to you?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2007, 11:00:47 »

Mine survived, and line still up....

System up:   340 days 22 hours 34 minutes
Line up:     339 days 7 hours 9 minutes

Wonder if it will make the year...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2007, 11:08:57 »

i can give a router to lb66 tomorrow if thats any good to you?
I should say its not wireless, and only 10Mb hub, but a great bit of kit, the next revision is what is used on forum....

....and best of all, free to you ;)
« Last Edit: 16 June 2007, 11:09:26 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2007, 13:35:25 »

Thanks for the offer but, I bought one and got it working.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2007, 13:46:30 »

Thanks for the offer but, I bought one and got it working.....

Ive just set one up for a m8......who didnt know his username or password!  ::)

Fortunately his isp has a automated username and password retrieval phone service......tho unfortunately first time round it gave me someone elses username and password  :o

Also had work out how to connect his PS3 to it as well....success  :)

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2007, 23:22:19 »

Mmm, wish I'd been on earlier and seen this.

Just has to pull one from not so far from you Mark to test at home as it wasn't playing no matter what I did.  Been off since Friday.  Modem portion toast - can't see it but it is.  Replcement due.  Shame really but I suppose a spare 100Mb switch will always come in handy.

I gather something rather big went, flash--bang not so far from the goose.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2007, 08:48:52 »

That would explain why it appears that half the estate has lost cable and ADSL modems then....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2007, 08:51:06 »

On disection, mine showed a small amount of charring around a decoupling cap on the main micro and the 1.5V supply is now clamped to 0.7V so I guess one of the internel insulation layers has blown through to the substrate..

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2007, 10:22:06 »

On disection, mine showed a small amount of charring around a decoupling cap on the main micro and the 1.5V supply is now clamped to 0.7V so I guess one of the internel insulation layers has blown through to the substrate..

So you finally confirmed my diagnosis then??   :P     :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2007, 11:05:08 »

So you finally confirmed my diagnosis then??

Yep. Sounds like it's F***ed!  ;D

My parents had a scaffolding tower on their house a couple of years ago during some building work and it got struck by lightening (luckily when the builders were having a fag break! It didn't half make them spill their tea though, apparently!).

Anyway, the insurance claim for all the knackered electronics ran into thousands. Anything with more than a few feet of cable connected to it died.

About half the items that bought it didn't pack up immediately but took a week or two to fail having been damaged by the strike.

My dad's ADSL router had a pin hole in the bottom of it, and a corresponding pin hole in the paint on the metal surface on which it had been standing where something had flashed over.

Most consumer items have only very basic protection against abnormal voltages. If you look at the circuit boards of network cards, ADSL routers, etc you can see where extra protection components have been designed into the device but not populated because some bean counter has decided to cheapen it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2007, 15:11:12 »

So you finally confirmed my diagnosis then??

Yep. Sounds like it's F***ed!  ;D

My parents had a scaffolding tower on their house a couple of years ago during some building work and it got struck by lightening (luckily when the builders were having a fag break! It didn't half make them spill their tea though, apparently!).

Anyway, the insurance claim for all the knackered electronics ran into thousands. Anything with more than a few feet of cable connected to it died.

About half the items that bought it didn't pack up immediately but took a week or two to fail having been damaged by the strike.

My dad's ADSL router had a pin hole in the bottom of it, and a corresponding pin hole in the paint on the metal surface on which it had been standing where something had flashed over.

Most consumer items have only very basic protection against abnormal voltages. If you look at the circuit boards of network cards, ADSL routers, etc you can see where extra protection components have been designed into the device but not populated because some bean counter has decided to cheapen it.

Kevin
Alas we now live in a world that is run by bloody bean counters. >:(
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2007, 15:52:43 »

It wont be a bean counter.....the interface will pass its required EMC radiated, conducted and immunity tests plus any further region specific ones, as a (proper) engineer, you dont add cost for no reason.

And if you think a 1p component or one small enough to fit inside a piece of domesic kit is enough to stop a lightning surge then you are in for a big surprise because its a high voltage, high current and very fast energy spike and the only effective way to deal with one of these is to add some L (or R) and a VERY big C and only then will you of hopefuly slugged the edge speed enough to give a transient suppressor enough to time turn on and hopefuly clamp the pulse before dying in a small puff of smoke.....

Nasty stuff lightning, loads of different types, pretty much impossible to stop it damaging modern electronics.....

« Last Edit: 19 June 2007, 15:59:31 by Mark »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2007, 16:43:12 »

Granted that the only way to stop a direct lightning strike from killing something is to go back to using valves and, even then, you'll struggle.

However, the point I was making, and I think you have made as well, is that consumer electronics products are engineered down to the mininum cost and, whilst it meets the applicable standards that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work in anything other than the least hostile environment.

That the standards are set as low as they are is probably back to the bean counters, but at a national or european level.

I've often pondered the power of a lightning strike when driving the winch at the gliding club. Sending a length of 5mm steel cable with a bloke on the end if it 2,000 feet into the sky does focus the mind, and the winch gets shut down at the slightest hint of electrical activity.

A glider was unlucky enough to get hit (in free space, not on a winch) a couple of years ago and the damage was mindblowing. Sections of circa 15mm diameter control tubes in the wings got flattened by electromagnetic forces due to the currents they were carrying. Analysis showed they didn't get heated much above ambient so there was no melting involved, just a stong enough current in the tube, and thus electromagnetic field around it, to crush it. The steel levers at the inboard ends didn't fair too well due to their higher resistance. They vapourised explosively, blowing out a section of fuselage and both canopies. The pilots parachuted to safety but both suffered burst eardrums from the aforementioned blast.

BTW: Stormchasers might be interested in this:

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Looks like Devon's getting a bit of a zapping at the moment!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

hol666

• Lechlade, Gloucestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2007, 19:49:35 »

This has happened to me too, big storm and then no phones or broadband.  Blew the dect phone base and the router!  :o

Always keep a spare router now and one day, I'll actually fit the surge plug to the phoneline...... :-/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.