Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual gearbox.  (Read 2110 times)

STMO123

Manual gearbox.
« on: 15 June 2007, 07:26:27 »

We have had a few threads lately relating to the difficulties experienced in gear selection with manual gaerboxes. Has anyone found, as I have, that this has improved greatly now that the weather has warmed up?
As an afterthought, is this why it seems like a good idea to sell your car during the summer months? [smiley=evil.gif]

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Manual gearbox.
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2007, 10:35:48 »

I've never had any problems changing gear in mine, could be down to the operator STMO  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2007, 10:40:27 »

Gearboxes are often notchy when the oil is cold, and the oil doesn't heat up anything like as readily as engine oil because the losses, and therefore heat output, of a gearbox are relatively small.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2007, 12:01:56 »

I've never had any problems changing gear in mine, could be down to the operator STMO  ::)

Operator? I'm driving my car not working for BT :P

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2007, 12:25:47 »

"Hello, operator? Yes, I'd like second gear if you please."

Reminds me of an Allegro a mate of mine used to have. <shudder> Well, the gear shift was about as direct as that, when it worked at all.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2007, 12:28:03 »

Reminds me of an Allegro a mate of mine used to have. <shudder> Well, the gear shift was about as direct as that, when it worked at all.

Kevin

My Austin 1100 was like a bowl of jelly ;D ;D

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2007, 12:50:10 »

I couldn't get 4th in my Austin 1300.. fun on the motorway not

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2007, 14:05:17 »

My mate's AllAggro lost 4th. Then it lost 2nd.

Luckily it was a 1500 so it wasn't totally gutless and you could drive it using 1, 3 and 5 with a bit of care, and a total lack of mechanical sympathy.

When reverse went, it was the last straw, and Sammy Sledge finished the job off after it became apparent that the fault was in the gearbox, and the gearbox was the sump, so the whole engine and transmission had to come out  >:(

Kevin

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2007, 15:31:27 »

Hmmm.....Rustin Rover gearboxes still make me shudder.

Many moons ago (12 years!) I was working for Alstom in Stafford where we had a fleet of Montenogo's (pool cars), Rover 800's (for the managers) and Senators for the Directors...

I had to go to a job in Islington (Static Var Compensator) and so got a tatty (as supplied from the factory I think, were the wheel arches detachable?) 2.0 Estate....

I was driving down the M6 just going past Birmingham North services (or what ever they were called) in the outisde lane at err....70mph.....when there was one hell of a [size=72]BANG![/size]

The engine revs went through the roof, the car lurched upwards and left, there was banging noises from up front and under the car....

Look in the rear view mirror and cars behind me are swirving and braking......

Look in the passenger side mirror whilst indicating to get onto the hard shoulder whilst I still had some momentum and I cant see it coz the side window is covered in oil!!

Get onto the hard shoulder and there is now a tail back as people try to avoid the outside overtaking lane...

Engine off, hazards on, lift the bonnet......wheres the gearbox gone!

There was a starter motor hanging on the end of its cable with a bit of casting attached to it, one drive shaft was bent backwards under the car, the other was missing....

Engine was realy tilted over and almost touching the floor....

Passenger side was covered in oil.....

So.....go to the SOS phone box, why do cars always break down at the mid point!

Police turned up 5 mins later and closed lanes 2 and 3 whilst the debris was recovered.....I am pleased to say they found the drive shaft!

Turns out the gearbox seized internally and blew it self apart....!!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2007, 15:59:24 »

lift the bonnet......wheres the gearbox gone!

ROFL!  ;D Absolute class!

.. and I shudder (once more) to think that the highest speed I have attained on a (uk) public road was in a Rover 827 on the M54 one time when I was young, stupid, late for a meeting and the company didn't have a more rubbish pool car to give me (or so they believed - fools!). Funnily enough that was.. erm.. about 70 MPH too. Probably the same type of gearbox, although why would Rover only have used one design of 5 speed, transverse gearbox when they could have 5 or 6 to debug?

Kevin

miggy

« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2007, 20:34:07 »

Kevin

My Austin 1100 was like a bowl of jelly ;D ;D

Austin 1100, that brings back memories, remember the Austin 1375 or was it the 1275

:y :y

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2007, 20:57:33 »

Many moons ago (12 years!) I was working for Alstom in Stafford where we had a fleet of Montenogo's (pool cars), Rover 800's (for the managers) and Senators for the Directors...

I had to go to a job in Islington (Static Var Compensator) and so got a tatty (as supplied from the factory I think, were the wheel arches detachable?) 2.0 Estate....

I was driving down the M6 just going past Birmingham North services (or what ever they were called) in the outisde lane at err....70mph.....when there was one hell of a [size=72]BANG![/size]

The engine revs went through the roof, the car lurched upwards and left, there was banging noises from up front and under the car....

Look in the rear view mirror and cars behind me are swirving and braking......

Look in the passenger side mirror whilst indicating to get onto the hard shoulder whilst I still had some momentum and I cant see it coz the side window is covered in oil!!

Get onto the hard shoulder and there is now a tail back as people try to avoid the outside overtaking lane...

Engine off, hazards on, lift the bonnet......wheres the gearbox gone!

There was a starter motor hanging on the end of its cable with a bit of casting attached to it, one drive shaft was bent backwards under the car, the other was missing....

Engine was realy tilted over and almost touching the floor....

Passenger side was covered in oil.....

So.....go to the SOS phone box, why do cars always break down at the mid point!

Police turned up 5 mins later and closed lanes 2 and 3 whilst the debris was recovered.....I am pleased to say they found the drive shaft!

Turns out the gearbox seized internally and blew it self apart....!!!!
did they give you the rover 800 or the montego some montegos had honda boxs didn't they don't say much for gearboxs,i know  they are reliable for engines :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 20:58:23 by geoff »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2007, 21:16:30 »

Vx manuals are the same......veccyB gearbox let go and blew a hole in the side of the casing.....it had only done 150k miles at the time......they dont make gearboxes like they used to  ::) ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2007, 21:17:48 »

A previous job pool cars

1) Ford gearbox blown up as it was crap
2) Rover 216 killed on a gas bottle in the road, after losing fan belt and engine mount earlier
3) Various issues with Ford controls as the clutches were terrible and the indicator switches crap
4) An Abysmal van would not go where it was told - QW was right

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2007, 22:18:49 »

What was this thread about again? :-?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.