Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2980555 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #16425 on: 13 June 2018, 12:22:24 »

It’s not case of bubble wrap, just basic safety.  :y
How do you think they travel on a flight... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16426 on: 13 June 2018, 12:39:23 »

Yes, defo 5 in the back of mine, 5 in back of bros. Saloon has more space. Generally each couple had a large suitcase, and one the next size down.  Racking brains what else we had, one year I recall a Note.

Easier now, with just 7 of us normally coming.

Why bother with a child seat, nobody else does in the euro places I've been lately.  A xfer coach won't have either ;)

Obviously, if you want to put barriers into the way, try Skegness, which you should be able to get for similar money.

Cause the child is only 6 months old, I would not be happy with 6 month old on a lap. Even if it was legal.

Doing Ireland next year, but driving the mum bus. Also doing New York, but leaving the kids here for that one.  :D

Do what every one else does then, take child seat with you,or hire it from car company,or even go to local superstore and buy one,when you land.

I think easy-jet don't charge for carseats, our Gatwick member might know more. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16427 on: 13 June 2018, 13:08:35 »

Easyjet website says...

Flying with children and infants

We understand that flying with children can sometimes be difficult and stressful so we’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for you.

If you’re travelling with children under 5, we’ll board you early;
You can bring two items for free including a travel cot, pushchair, double pushchairs, buggy, car seat, collapsible or non-collapsible pram, booster seat, baby back carrier (please check they are suitable to take on board);
You can choose your seats in advance (for a fee) to ensure you sit together;
We have kids snack packs on board, that include puzzles and games to keep kids entertained;
We support breastfeeding mothers and you can feed your baby on board at any time.

Basically a push chair and a car seat would be free, any more is charged but doesn't specify if that is per booking or per passenger. Under two travel on lap for free but have no luggage allowance, alternative is to buy a seat for the sprog.

Also trying to be clever and booking extra legroom seats will only opps you up as you will have nowhere to put all the crap that travelling children seem to need... Besides kids can't sit in exit rows...

Actual bag allowances and charges vary airline to airline, but the seat specifics are universal. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16428 on: 13 June 2018, 13:33:44 »

Give the little darlings a Valium and pop them in a suitcase. Job jobbed!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16429 on: 13 June 2018, 13:34:33 »

Easyjet website says...

Flying with children and infants

We understand that flying with children can sometimes be difficult and stressful so we’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for you.

If you’re travelling with children under 5, we’ll board you early;
You can bring two items for free including a travel cot, pushchair, double pushchairs, buggy, car seat, collapsible or non-collapsible pram, booster seat, baby back carrier (please check they are suitable to take on board);
You can choose your seats in advance (for a fee) to ensure you sit together;
We have kids snack packs on board, that include puzzles and games to keep kids entertained;
We support breastfeeding mothers and you can feed your baby on board at any time.

Basically a push chair and a car seat would be free, any more is charged but doesn't specify if that is per booking or per passenger. Under two travel on lap for free but have no luggage allowance, alternative is to buy a seat for the sprog.

Also trying to be clever and booking extra legroom seats will only opps you up as you will have nowhere to put all the crap that travelling children seem to need... Besides kids can't sit in exit rows...

Actual bag allowances and charges vary airline to airline, but the seat specifics are universal. ;)

Depends. Qantas to Oz we had 3 free items and a luggage allowance. But we did pay a token amount (10% of full fare rings a bell). We had a sky cot so got extra leg room too :y

But that’s long haul 😉
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16430 on: 13 June 2018, 13:42:43 »

Can probably get four cases in the back of the A Class without moving the rear seat ::)

Those little Citroën saloons look to have a decent sized boot too :y

The rest of world isn't forced to buy SUVs and MPVs by virtue of having a decent selection of proper cars to choose from...

The latest Focus saloon is available in RHD in Ireland, so God alone knows why we don't get it in the UK ???

Likewise Astra H...

Focus/Astra saloon was never a good seller here for reason,saw loads in Italy :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16431 on: 13 June 2018, 13:50:41 »

Purely a sales/marketing issue... Things like the Zafira/C max are priced artificially low. Whereas low volume types don't attract a discount, if you can even persuade the dealer to order one...  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16432 on: 13 June 2018, 13:57:47 »

Depends. Qantas to Oz we had 3 free items and a luggage allowance. But we did pay a token amount (10% of full fare rings a bell). We had a sky cot so got extra leg room too :y

But that’s long haul 😉
Indeed, most centre bulkheads have bassinets and aren't strictly exit rows... No floor storage is less of an issue as the lockers are more and generally larger :y Also said rows aren't necessarily extra legroom seats, so only command a premium for the bassinets...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16433 on: 13 June 2018, 14:34:20 »

I never did find out, as Mum got sidetrack about how, when we lived in Cyprus in the early 70s, 10 of us used to go up into Troodos (a significant trip before the main roads were built) in a single car.

I asked her about child seats and boosters etc, and she laughed.  Then Bro joined in, and reminded me when his now grown up kids came on holiday with us, they never had anything special beyond the seatbelt thats fitted to hire car.

Its a modern cancer on society, which I think is very sad  :'(
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16434 on: 13 June 2018, 16:00:17 »

I never did find out, as Mum got sidetrack about how, when we lived in Cyprus in the early 70s, 10 of us used to go up into Troodos (a significant trip before the main roads were built) in a single car.

I asked her about child seats and boosters etc, and she laughed.  Then Bro joined in, and reminded me when his now grown up kids came on holiday with us, they never had anything special beyond the seatbelt thats fitted to hire car.

Carry cot on the back seat of a Triumph Herald did me proud! My dad did "upgrade" his car when there were three of us, mind - to a Morris shItal. 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16435 on: 13 June 2018, 16:16:22 »

Perhaps a little read is in order

http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/child_car_seats/european_child_seat_law.htm
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16436 on: 13 June 2018, 16:49:26 »

I suspect  :o some bovine excrement
MOT 29 nov @ 76,401 miles car serviced .
A "service" at most back street garages is normally and oil and oil filter change.  A "service" at a main dealer with a Vauxhall badge out the front is often a pretty checklist suggesting how they can extract more money, plus if you are lucky, and oil change. If you are really lucky, maybe an oil filter change, although I've never had the pleasure of them changing the filter...
from service history book stamped / ticked boxes (all the same local garage)rest of history main dealer  :y
9th service (2013 @ 71,5k)plugs, air,fuel filter,brake & trans fluid oil/filter change
10th service (2015 @ 72k)plugs again ! fuel filter again ! oil/filter change
11th service (2016 @75k) brake and trans fluid again  :o oil/filter change
12th service (2017 @76401 is not in book but invoice for the brake pads 2 sets , discs front and rear, ,oil and filter,air filter,spark plugs  ,2 goodyear tyres, bulbs ,MOT
that last service was more than i paid for the car  ;D
i know they did disc and pads all round and tyres,oil looks clean(dunno about filter so i need to do an oil & filter change ,got them) air filter is clean,

I very much doubt ,even if the engine had spent 5 months at the bottom of the north sea ,there would be as much aluminium
 rust that came out when i pulled 2,4,6 coil pack had they pulled it (to do plugs ) nov last year ,
I brought the omega late march ,started using it mid may .

am I paranoid ,or did the garage have the OAP previous owners pants down , probably more than once . :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16437 on: 13 June 2018, 17:31:18 »

Carry cot on the back seat of a Triumph Herald did me proud! My dad did "upgrade" his car when there were three of us, mind - to a Morris shItal. 8)

We just use to sit in the back of what ever van dad had, bit of old carpet,or blankets, we survived.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16438 on: 13 June 2018, 17:35:34 »

Almost certainly... :'(

That said he probably booked it in for xyz. Garage has then, not unreasonably decided to only do the minimum amount appropriate based on mileage since last service. Where they crossed a line was in charging for xyz instead of x or y or z and raising this with the owner... ie "we've only changed, and charged, for the oil and filter this time because the air filter is clean and the sparkplugs have only done 4, 751 miles since last year... Oh, and we have adjusted the tyre pressures and washed it for you..."

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16439 on: 13 June 2018, 18:14:58 »

Almost certainly... :'(

That said he probably booked it in for xyz. Garage has then, not unreasonably decided to only do the minimum amount appropriate based on mileage since last service. Where they crossed a line was in charging for xyz instead of x or y or z and raising this with the owner... ie "we've only changed, and charged, for the oil and filter this time because the air filter is clean and the sparkplugs have only done 4, 751 miles since last year... Oh, and we have adjusted the tyre pressures and washed it for you..."
Thanks for your advice especially on that 1,3,5 coil pack , it was out in double quick time  :y
unlike the other side  ;D

I'd have thought the OAP would have asked that the plugs be changed or missfire investigated (must have put the EML on in the past)

yes, i feel i can't trust much of the work they said they did (by ticking and stamping book)
fortunately , although they have been "servicing it" since 2013 , it's only done 6k in that time
assuming they did at least do oil & filter each year , no shortfalls on their part have caused lasting damage
the rest of the history is main dealer  approach vauxhall Salisbury.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.