Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3018135 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #16440 on: 13 June 2018, 19:26:44 »

I suspect  :o some bovine excrement
MOT 29 nov @ 76,401 miles car serviced .
A "service" at most back street garages is normally and oil and oil filter change.  A "service" at a main dealer with a Vauxhall badge out the front is often a pretty checklist suggesting how they can extract more money, plus if you are lucky, and oil change. If you are really lucky, maybe an oil filter change, although I've never had the pleasure of them changing the filter...
from service history book stamped / ticked boxes (all the same local garage)rest of history main dealer  :y
9th service (2013 @ 71,5k)plugs, air,fuel filter,brake & trans fluid oil/filter change
10th service (2015 @ 72k)plugs again ! fuel filter again ! oil/filter change
11th service (2016 @75k) brake and trans fluid again  :o oil/filter change
12th service (2017 @76401 is not in book but invoice for the brake pads 2 sets , discs front and rear, ,oil and filter,air filter,spark plugs  ,2 goodyear tyres, bulbs ,MOT
that last service was more than i paid for the car  ;D
i know they did disc and pads all round and tyres,oil looks clean(dunno about filter so i need to do an oil & filter change ,got them) air filter is clean,

I very much doubt ,even if the engine had spent 5 months at the bottom of the north sea ,there would be as much aluminium
 rust that came out when i pulled 2,4,6 coil pack had they pulled it (to do plugs ) nov last year ,
I brought the omega late march ,started using it mid may .

am I paranoid ,or did the garage have the OAP previous owners pants down , probably more than once . :-\

No you are not paranoid, sadly that has been my experience of services done on other peoples cars, and why I still do my own unless it came with the price of the car, and even then I know they wont do everything. >:(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16441 on: 13 June 2018, 20:14:53 »

No you are not paranoid, sadly that has been my experience of services done on other peoples cars, and why I still do my own unless it came with the price of the car, and even then I know they wont do everything. >:(
I do all the work on the family cars ,having not trusted work done by garages in the past ,
all the family drive vauxhalls with the exception of one ......
a 2002 picasso hdi   ::) he insists on driving it  :-X
few weeks ago the clutch went
had a quick look to diagnose , he needed the picasso working again in a hurry ,so it was recovered to a local cluych place ,who quoted £350 ish done for next day
i took him to collect it ,
they said the gearbox casting needed replacing too due to the casting being cracked ,another 389 quid  :o
I went outside and looked ,old casing with 16 years of dirt on it
went and asked , "not new ,reconditioned " they said , "so where is the old cracked one" i said ,
and when people recon gear boxes ,they clean them at least ,some paint them
we could not prove they did not fit a recon box or casting , so he had to pay the extra £389 to get the car back .

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16442 on: 13 June 2018, 21:15:47 »

It’s not case of bubble wrap, just basic safety.  :y
I never did find out, as Mum got sidetrack about how, when we lived in Cyprus in the early 70s, 10 of us used to go up into Troodos (a significant trip before the main roads were built) in a single car.

I asked her about child seats and boosters etc, and she laughed.  Then Bro joined in, and reminded me when his now grown up kids came on holiday with us, they never had anything special beyond the seatbelt thats fitted to hire car.

Its a modern cancer on society, which I think is very sad  :'(

Carry cot on the back seat of a Triumph Herald did me proud! My dad did "upgrade" his car when there were three of us, mind - to a Morris shItal. 8)
Did that with my first, (he,s 53 now ;D) in my Reliant drop head coupe. Flat out down Colchester bypass, top down wind in his hair and giggling his head off. ;D If i,d had to stop quick, him and cot would have flown about 30 yards. ::) To be fair there wasn,t much traffic about them days. A seat sliding around in the back of a 100E van, tied in with a necktie when he was a toddler wasn,t much better. :-[ The whole three of the kids (by then) also used the fight to get in the well at the back of the rear seats of my Beetle. It had no heater so was the warmest place in the car. 8)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16443 on: 14 June 2018, 05:51:59 »

My Dad you to give me piggy backs on his Penny Farthing :)
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16444 on: 15 June 2018, 11:11:47 »

Its a modern cancer on society, which I think is very sad  :'(
And I think its more than just travelling. It HAS bred a society of incapable, risk adverse, useless, self centred arsesoles. And many of them have various allergies which is now being suggested to be caused by being brought up in sterile environments.  I can't remember the last time I got on a plane, and not been greeted with the warning that there was somebody with some allergy, so no consumption of <xyz> etc.

And then add in the way some of these little darlings are brought up, and that they can do no wrong, and we have a society of effectively delinquents - how many times have to seen young lads open a car window in a carpark and just throw out their fast food wrappers, rather than walk 20yrds to a bin. They have never had to walk to a bin, or clear up as a child, so they feel they don't have to as an "adult".

We were chatting to the owner of the villa we are staying in, and this one will not be let to the UK market next year, because the owner says he's losing money on the cleanups following a proportion of British families (not stag/hen parties) staying - things like cleaning the walls after the little brats have crayoned all over them, cleaning up the pool because the little darlings piss in it, and empty cans of fizz in it, them wrecking his plants (which clearly the owner spends a lot of time to make it look nice) by picking them, climbing them, redistributing the lava stones that keep the soil moist all around the villa and in the pool.  Its an embarrassment to be British sometimes. And we here this time and time again from owners.

But thats the obvious outcome when the worse punishment is 15 minutes on a naughty step, rather than a oppsing good hiding for those that need it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16445 on: 15 June 2018, 11:12:57 »

Yesterday, hired a couple of off road buggies, and went for some fun.  What a hoot :)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16446 on: 15 June 2018, 11:22:43 »

Discovered this morning that it is possible to hire a Caterham 165 for 8 hours... Budget won't quite stretch to it, but it should be on the list for next time...

Off road buggies does sound like a blast, especially if you are in a decent group 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16447 on: 15 June 2018, 11:47:11 »

Off road buggies does sound like a blast, especially if you are in a decent group 8)
We didn't want to go with a group, so just hired them, and pointed them towards the national park
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16448 on: 15 June 2018, 11:49:56 »

Ordered the company vehicle for the new role, arrives in two weeks (from stock).

Given its changed every 6-7k miles I might need to choose the next one to!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16449 on: 15 June 2018, 11:56:21 »

Ordered the company vehicle for the new role, arrives in two weeks (from stock).

And?

Well, I can guess its Indian...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16450 on: 15 June 2018, 12:01:59 »

And?

Manufactured in the excellence that is the Castle Bromwich facility  ;D ;D :D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16451 on: 15 June 2018, 12:08:18 »

And?

Manufactured in the excellence that is the Castle Bromwich facility  ;D ;D :D :y
My satnav always takes me around it when I'm in Brum. I think it likes to visit home ;D
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16452 on: 15 June 2018, 12:11:25 »

Didn't actually have much choice this time as they only had F-Pace available from stock so its an F-Pace R-Sport Black edition (plus more options) in Coral grey with a wanking skeleton under the bonnet

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16453 on: 15 June 2018, 12:17:11 »

Didn't actually have much choice this time as they only had F-Pace available from stock so its an F-Pace R-Sport Black edition (plus more options) in Coral grey with a wanking skeleton under the bonnet
Nice enough car for a few months ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16454 on: 15 June 2018, 12:26:21 »

Nice enough car for a few months ;)

They had black available to but, I suggested a que might form next to it every time I pulled into a car park

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.