Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2983363 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #18000 on: 03 March 2019, 21:03:05 »

Had to use aircon in 3.2 as it was quite warm today, surprised it still worked properly and blew chilled air.  :o

I do leave it in auto all the time, but most years it stops working at some point over Christmas.
You are aware the compressor will not engage below 4C.  Which is why on most Omegas with working AC, you get to winter, driving happily down the road, and then it suddenly mists up :D

For others, I assuming tunnie means ECO off, as he's been told to ;)

Yes, never use ECO.  :)

I use ECO occasionally, mainly when I need all of the ponies.  :-X
It does that automatically at WOT ;D

Does it.  :-[  Everyday's a school day.  :y  Still seems quicker when I turn it off myself though.   ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18001 on: 04 March 2019, 09:45:04 »

Fitted the radiator (and fan) to the kit car .. what a ballache that was! Hopefully it never has to come out again, because there's at least two bolts that can only come out 1/16th of a turn at a time ;D

Also ordered about $4k worth of engine parts to be delivered to Miami and be loaded into a 40' container; $5k of gearbox will join that on Monday when MDL are open..

Oh .. and bought a leakdown tester & compression tester as Lou's (new to us) Mini has developed a blue smoke problem  ::)

Problems with a Mini engine, what ever next.

Its the only thing it truly has in common with the original mini  ;D ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18002 on: 04 March 2019, 09:45:40 »

Drove it to Gaydon, where that nice DTM fella bought me breakkie - cheers Mark, defo my shout next time!

No problem, good to meet up for a chat!  :y

STEMO

« Reply #18003 on: 04 March 2019, 10:49:36 »

Nice chat with a cuppa tea. Like a pair of old women.  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #18004 on: 04 March 2019, 15:39:54 »

Ssshh.. I can't hear you over the choruses of "I told you so" ;D

The smoke seems to be intermittent, which is very odd.. I am hoping it's the PCV, as there seems to be no play in the turbo - the intake isn't swimming in oil, though so stem seals are another potential culprit.

If I stop suffering from an attack of the CBAs I should really go out and compression test it.. but I just noticed it's raining, so I'll stay in here instead!

Ordered the gearbox for the kit car .. $5110 from Modern Driveline. I know, I know, that's the cost of ten good Omegas ;) ;D Now I just have to wait for it all to be shipped to Miami, loaded into a 40' container, shipped to the UK and pick it all up from STS Imports in six to eight weeks from now..

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18005 on: 04 March 2019, 16:00:20 »

Ssshh.. I can't hear you over the choruses of "I told you so" ;D

The smoke seems to be intermittent, which is very odd.. I am hoping it's the PCV, as there seems to be no play in the turbo - the intake isn't swimming in oil, though so stem seals are another potential culprit.

If I stop suffering from an attack of the CBAs I should really go out and compression test it.. but I just noticed it's raining, so I'll stay in here instead!

Ordered the gearbox for the kit car .. $5110 from Modern Driveline. I know, I know, that's the cost of ten good Omegas ;) ;D Now I just have to wait for it all to be shipped to Miami, loaded into a 40' container, shipped to the UK and pick it all up from STS Imports in six to eight weeks from now..

Fookin ell....... :o :o :o :o

And what lump will this be attached to?

aaronjb

« Reply #18006 on: 05 March 2019, 09:48:10 »

The 462ci Ford FE V8, the block of which is older than I am by some margin.. Comp Cams 278º cam, Edelbrock heads, Eddy intake, and 750cfm Quick Fuel carburettor. That's 7.6L in new money.

It's a "mild" build as I'm only aiming for a square sort of ~450hp and ~450lb/ft of torque, though I think my spec might significantly exceed that... there was some "scope creep" during the specification stage!

STEMO

« Reply #18007 on: 05 March 2019, 10:04:06 »

The 462ci Ford FE V8, the block of which is older than I am by some margin.. Comp Cams 278º cam, Edelbrock heads, Eddy intake, and 750cfm Quick Fuel carburettor. That's 7.6L in new money.

It's a "mild" build as I'm only aiming for a square sort of ~450hp and ~450lb/ft of torque, though I think my spec might significantly exceed that... there was some "scope creep" during the specification stage!
Hmmmm.....you'll have no trouble reaching 70mph, the maximum legal limit, in that.  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18008 on: 05 March 2019, 15:19:55 »

Which box is it, Tremec T56?

aaronjb

« Reply #18009 on: 05 March 2019, 15:53:37 »

Yep, T56 Magnum (TUET11010, so 2.66:1 first)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18010 on: 05 March 2019, 15:54:23 »

A mere 450bhp huh? Should be enough to get it off your drive I guess  ;D

All joking aside it sounds epic! Whats left to do on it (other than the obvious engine and 'box)?

aaronjb

« Reply #18011 on: 05 March 2019, 16:05:42 »

All joking aside it sounds epic! Whats left to do on it (other than the obvious engine and 'box)?

Wheels (might stick them in the same 40' container..), more wiring (that never seems to end!), enough interior to pass an IVA (so carpets etc to cover sharp edges - I have the interior set, it just needs putting in) and a few other IVA odds & sods (fog & reverse lamp, for example)..

Oh, and exhaust manifolds - I have the side pipes but nothing to connect them to the engine, and since nobody has a jig available that means either £1000 per side to have them made on the car, or I get intimately familiar with mandrel bends and the welder...

STEMO

« Reply #18012 on: 05 March 2019, 16:09:14 »

Wheels (might stick them in the same 40' container..), more wiring (that never seems to end!), enough interior to pass an IVA (so carpets etc to cover sharp edges - I have the interior set, it just needs putting in) and a few other IVA odds & sods (fog & reverse lamp, for example)..

Oh, and exhaust manifolds - I have the side pipes but nothing to connect them to the engine, and since nobody has a jig available that means either £1000 per side to have them made on the car, or I get intimately familiar with mandrel bends and the welder...
You'll need an IVA after paying for that lot  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18013 on: 05 March 2019, 16:14:45 »

Yep, T56 Magnum (TUET11010, so 2.66:1 first)

So, 2.66:1 to get the rears alight and 1:1 for cruising. What are all the other gears for? ;)

Reminds me of a turbo diesel Westfield one of my mates in NI built. Felt like the gearbox was just there so you could slip it into neutral to rest your left foot in traffic. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #18014 on: 05 March 2019, 16:38:34 »

So, 2.66:1 to get the rears alight and 1:1 for cruising. What are all the other gears for? ;)

Reminds me of a turbo diesel Westfield one of my mates in NI built. Felt like the gearbox was just there so you could slip it into neutral to rest your left foot in traffic. ;D

There's an .63:1 6th for cruising on the Autobahn .. ;D

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.