Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Ronnie?  (Read 3632 times)

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Question for Ronnie?
« on: 02 September 2006, 23:17:43 »

Noticed on The Boys thread about his waterpump packing up that you said this could be due to extra pressure being put on it after he changed his oil cooler. Just wondered how this would come about ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Ronnie?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2006, 23:22:07 »

I guess having a clogged coolant system, what with all that sludge, there is extra strain on the pump. Mine was the actual seal failed, rather than the pump itself (though the bearings in the pump were past their best).  Also, I imagine the highest pressure is nearest the pump.
Grumpy old man

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2006, 23:26:08 »

Noticed on The Boys thread about his waterpump packing up that you said this could be due to extra pressure being put on it after he changed his oil cooler. Just wondered how this would come about ?

As TheBoy has said. PLUS, the fact that the oil cooler had blown some time ago, the water pump has been operating under reduced load due to reduced pressure in the water system. Once the cooler is fixed the combination of restored pressure plus foreign matter in the coolant all cause the pressure to be above what the pump had been previously working at. The pump would thus be strained. The weakset point on the system in this case was the pump seal and thus whay it went.

Hope this helps.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2006, 23:27:47 »

I guess having a clogged coolant system, what with all that sludge, there is extra strain on the pump. Mine was the actual seal failed, rather than the pump itself (though the bearings in the pump were past their best).  Also, I imagine the highest pressure is nearest the pump.

Know what i'll be doing next then, mind you mines done a lot more miles since cooler change than the 35 you managed ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2006, 23:28:40 »

I fairness to the car, I reckon it did some 250m before it blew its load...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2006, 23:29:06 »

As TheBoy has said. PLUS, the fact that the oil cooler had blown some time ago, the water pump has been operating under reduced load due to reduced pressure in the water system. Once the cooler is fixed the combination of restored pressure plus foreign matter in the coolant all cause the pressure to be above what the pump had been previously working at. The pump would thus be strained. The weakset point on the system in this case was the pump seal and thus whay it went.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ronnie [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2006, 23:32:19 »

I fairness to the car, I reckon it did some 250m before it blew its load...

Now i know why people recommend changing pump at same as cooler, if only we listen :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2006, 23:33:40 »

Genuine pump is only £20 + VAT on TC, and removing pump does get much more coolant out as it drains the block (which rad hoses and tap don't), so will most of the shitty coolant out...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2006, 23:39:45 »

Sounds like your cooler went gradually then ? I think mine must have exploded , noticed temp rising, got home ( about another 2 miles ) took filler cap off and that was it, looked like the Exxon Valdez had took a dump in my header tank, it was everywhere. Gonna do Cambelt soon when i'm brave enough, think i will do waterpump at same time :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2006, 23:52:45 »

I don't know the history - I bought it with a 'suspected HG failure' as a project to do up...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2006, 23:59:48 »

TBH I was monitoring my water level pretty close as i had just done a HBV change

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2006, 10:23:57 »

Gonna do Cambelt soon when i'm brave enough, think i will do waterpump at same time :o

May I recommend the excellent cam belt video that is available on here?  Having viewed this, I can confirm that it really is easier than you first think. I fought shy of this and got it done by the dealer >:(  Worst luck the dvd was not out then. :(  Worst still I asked for the old parts and they looked to have been fitted just prior to when I purchased the car. :(

Still, peace of mind counts for a lot.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2006, 10:39:36 »

Gonna do Cambelt soon when i'm brave enough, think i will do waterpump at same time :o

May I recommend the excellent cam belt video that is available on here?  Having viewed this, I can confirm that it really is easier than you first think. I fought shy of this and got it done by the dealer >:(  Worst luck the dvd was not out then. :(  Worst still I asked for the old parts and they looked to have been fitted just prior to when I purchased the car. :(

Yep, i shall be getting one of those [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2006, 10:48:48 »

I PM'd Robin Hood last week about the DVD, but still no reply. I see he's not been on here.  :-?

Anyone know of his whereabouts, or is the DVD available elsewhere?
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2006, 11:59:47 »

I vaguely recall him saying something about a holiday, so may be away from the internet for a week or 2.

I can thoroughly recommend the cambelt DVD.  I have also seen RonnieMcb/Marks_DTM do my cambelt, and it really does look easy.  I've stripped a few cars done to cambelt lately (including Project TB1 on Friday) and it really isn't that difficult.

You MUST have:
A cambelt locking kit
Reasonable selection of standard tools (inc allen keys)
Torx sockets, esp E10,E12,E14 and E20 for the crank
A small makeup type mirror
A 30mm offset ring spanner

Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.