Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HGV Question!  (Read 3743 times)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
HGV Question!
« on: 02 September 2006, 00:48:14 »

Hi all,
after the unfortunate loss of a member of the family fleet, my beloved tractor unit IVECO turbostar 190-48, i decided that it would be a good idea to purchase one of these machines in the future and save it before they all end up at random scrapyards. So the question is how can i import a truck in the UK and have the right to use it on public roads at minimum cost. Could it be classified as a classic, vintage, whatever? It would be a 1991 year of manufacture.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re:  HGV Question!
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2006, 06:37:29 »

I think anyone can import any vehicle (short of a live firing military vehicle!) into the UK as long as relevant duties etc are paid to Customs.  As far as using it is concerned, it can be taxed/classed as a 'private HGV' and subject to the same Excise Duty (Road Tax) as any other large engined vehicle (£170/year?).

Remember the stushie that Chris Eubanks caused when he used one as his private car?   Basically, as long as no load is carried then can be used as a private vehicle.  I will have a root around at work later today to find some facts and figures.

HtH

Broocie

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2006, 09:25:08 »

Why not register it as a showmans vehicle and get Mot exemption and next to nothing road tax??? :o

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2006, 09:32:47 »

I'n not sure but you may have to deactivate the fifth wheel so that it can't be hitched to a trailer to qualify as a Private vehicle[smiley=undecided.gif]

Where are you importing the vehicle from ie: from another EU country
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2006, 11:14:00 »

I'n not sure but you may have to deactivate the fifth wheel so that it can't be hitched to a trailer to qualify as a Private vehicle[smiley=undecided.gif]

Where are you importing the vehicle from ie: from another EU country

It will have to be either Greece or Italy as there are not many left in the rest of europe and the ones that exist are very poorly maintained and the use of salt on the roads didn't help the cabines to survive.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2006, 11:17:24 »

Good morning guys, i really thank you all very much for the response.
what would i have to do insurance wise?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2006, 18:32:45 »

Why not register it as a showmans vehicle and get Mot exemption and next to nothing road tax??? :o

Vehicle excise for a private HGV and for a showmans vehicle is the same - £165.

Thats cheaper than my 'meega!!

check the link below, top left of page 4, special vehicles.

DVLA rate blurb

As for test, the Showmans/special types may well fall into the 'untestable' catagory simply because thay cannot fit into the test station bay but, be reassured, they are regularly tested at the roadside by the Vehicle Inspectorate (or whatever name they are called now....  ah.. VOSA  :) )  A private tractor unit would not have this problem.   ;)

Excise application (showmans or private HGV or standard, you choose)

disc application form

As far as I can find (not too much time today, quite busy) there is no requirement for the 5th wheel to be disabled.  This would effectively 'self police' as either a) no trailer attached and/or 2) if there was, no load carried.  This allows collectors and similar to buy/rally such vehicles.

For 'O' (operator) licencing, tachos and similar, check the VOSA link

Its not the best website so may be better calling your local VOSA Offfice.  Link on the page.

Didn't have time to suss out Customs.  Better calling them direct for a 'horses mouth' answer.

HtH

Broocie

« Last Edit: 02 September 2006, 18:33:54 by hotel21 »

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2006, 11:33:33 »

Vehicle excise for a private HGV and for a showmans vehicle is the same - £165.

Thats cheaper than my 'meega!!

check the link below, top left of page 4, special vehicles.

DVLA rate blurb

As for test, the Showmans/special types may well fall into the 'untestable' catagory simply because thay cannot fit into the test station bay but, be reassured, they are regularly tested at the roadside by the Vehicle Inspectorate (or whatever name they are called now....  ah.. VOSA  :) )  A private tractor unit would not have this problem.   ;)

Excise application (showmans or private HGV or standard, you choose)

disc application form

As far as I can find (not too much time today, quite busy) there is no requirement for the 5th wheel to be disabled.  This would effectively 'self police' as either a) no trailer attached and/or 2) if there was, no load carried.  This allows collectors and similar to buy/rally such vehicles.

For 'O' (operator) licencing, tachos and similar, check the VOSA link

Its not the best website so may be better calling your local VOSA Offfice.  Link on the page.

Didn't have time to suss out Customs.  Better calling them direct for a 'horses mouth' answer.

HtH

Broocie

Thanks a lot for the help, now i feel i'm in the right direction! I'm a bit confused, which is the 5th wheel?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2006, 16:29:08 »

I'm a bit confused, which is the 5th wheel?
The big 'orrible' greasy thing at the back of a tractor unit that hitches up to the trailer.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2006, 18:02:47 »

I'm a bit confused, which is the 5th wheel?
The big 'orrible' greasy thing at the back of a tractor unit that hitches up to the trailer.

OK i never new that it is called 5th wheel, in Greece we call it horse-shoe.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2006, 19:11:28 »

I believe it comes from the days of horse drawn vehicles, the structure the front axle pivoted on was known as the fifth wheel because it looked like another wheel. Amazing what useless info I pick up from the discovery channel  :)
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2006, 20:07:16 »

I believe it comes from the days of horse drawn vehicles, the structure the front axle pivoted on was known as the fifth wheel because it looked like another wheel. Amazing what useless info I pick up from the discovery channel  :)

Yesterday I didn't know what a fifth wheel was either, but now I know what it is, where it is and how it came to be. Wow!!!! Millionaire here i come :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2006, 20:11:56 »

OK then....  Since this is a learning curve for loads of peeps concerning things lorry, do you know why the flexi hoses connecting the tractor unit to the trailer (the air/vacuum lines) are called 'Suzies'?

No prizes - I don't know either, despite calling them that for years!!

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2006, 20:16:24 »

Dunno rly is it a company name like hoover sort of thing?
Got a feeling its from the states but don't ask me why.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2006, 20:17:01 »

OK then....  Since this is a learning curve for loads of peeps concerning things lorry, do you know why the flexi hoses connecting the tractor unit to the trailer (the air/vacuum lines) are called 'Suzies'?

No prizes - I don't know either, despite calling them that for years!!

Think i had better put millionaire on hold :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.