Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How Hard can this be to fix  (Read 1814 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Re: How Hard can this be to fix
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2007, 20:26:33 »

Yes it is, but,. .... Its basially fwd mondeo VTX box but on offside output shaft side instead of a drive shaft they bolted on a transfer box with a 90 degree output shaft to the rear wheels and a smaller shaft to the offside wheel. Not a bad system hence All Wheel Drive monica instead of 4wd implying a tractor or off road thingy (alla subaru) . Trouble with it is too many high rev launches i.e. trying to get it to wheel spin will detonate the transfer box and g/box, Worst i've ever seen is damage to the block where it bolts on.
And it is a right pig to do as 1 bolt is up behind exhaust downpipe/manifold connectin and you just know that will strip as it comes apart. :(

Subaru were using the term "All Wheel Drive" long before Jaguar even made an AWD car... and Subaru uses a proper AWD system, with the engine mounted transversely and the gearbox behind it, coupled with either 2 or 3 limited slip differentials depending on the model. The type of diff varies between viscous coupling or Suretrac (torque sensing) depending on the year/model. When I had my WRX STi I regularly launched it hard, and even with 300 BHP it would just grip and go. I'd expect at that power a transfer box would be left lying in the middle of the road after one launch ;D

I'd take a Subaru AWD system over a crappy transfer box bodged onto a FWD transmission any day. Similarly notice how Audi still uses their proper quattro system with Torsen centre diff on the A4/S4 and bigger models. The A3 and TT use Haldex solely because they're based on the Golf and the chassis doesn't have the space to accommodate a proper quattro system.

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2007, 20:41:12 »

My boss has a 3.0 and it has had a new transfer box, yes they are not cheap and are a common problem - it still cost over £1000 to repair even with Jaguar helping with the costs.

So do not buy it - the car is just not worth the money

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2007, 20:48:37 »

I think the Jaguar system was cobbled together after they were bullied into using the Ford parts bin to avoid the shame of making a front wheel drive car - not that they avoided that for long.

It goes without saying that a 2wd transmission has a handy torque limiting device namely the traction available from 2 driven wheels. Double that and you have to think about the torque rating of the whole transmission again. Bolting a bodge onto a FWD gearbox might have kept the beancounters happy but I suspect this car has become a victim of that decision.

XJR looks much more interesting. I was given a rather rapid lift across Munich in one of these a few years ago and couldn't believe it was "just" a V8. It had all the refinement of a V12 jag and was seriously quick. It'd still be a brave man who took that on, though.

At least the "known issues" with the Omega, Rover K series, etc are rarely terminal and replacements are easily sourced if it comes to that.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2007, 20:53:32 »

I think the Jaguar system was cobbled together after they were bullied into using the Ford parts bin to avoid the shame of making a front wheel drive car - not that they avoided that for long.

It goes without saying that a 2wd transmission has a handy torque limiting device namely the traction available from 2 driven wheels. Double that and you have to think about the torque rating of the whole transmission again. Bolting a bodge onto a FWD gearbox might have kept the beancounters happy but I suspect this car has become a victim of that decision.

XJR looks much more interesting. I was given a rather rapid lift across Munich in one of these a few years ago and couldn't believe it was "just" a V8. It had all the refinement of a V12 jag and was seriously quick. It'd still be a brave man who took that on, though.

At least the "known issues" with the Omega, Rover K series, etc are rarely terminal and replacements are easily sourced if it comes to that.

Kevin

My boos has had a duff transfer box on this, a blown engine with a Saaab 9-5, the previous 535 S6 was OK, and the 520 before that needed a head. Prior to those he had a Renault 19

In the same time I had the Sunbeam, Carlton and 4 Omegas - all in all take away the 2 accident damages (lack of sleep and Diesel spill) mine have been cheaper to run

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2007, 20:54:26 »

The 535 was basically getting worn out - he does intergalactic mileage

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 August 2007, 20:56:52 »

Don't tell me he broke all of those and the Renault 19 was reliable?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 20 August 2007, 21:04:33 »

Don't tell me he broke all of those and the Renault 19 was reliable?

Kevin

That was a company car from a previous business and was from new - it had an oil leak though.

He then went to the 520 and ran that for a few years

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 20 August 2007, 21:07:31 »

He had a Renault 20 break its engine - big time - con rods and crank oil all over the road - design fault!!!!

He jokes about Omegas being unsuitable for me coming from the Sunbeam but as I pointed out all were RWD.

And there were weird ties between the Sunbeam and the Carlton (top models) I never bought a Cortina though
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.