Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the best way to.....  (Read 2477 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best way to.....
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2007, 12:28:24 »

I'd hope a 110 ah battery would run it for a whole week! If it's a 12v powered TV rather than a mains set on an inverter it should only take 1 or 2 amps at 12 volts.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2007, 12:38:50 »

It may be worth asking the site if they have battery charging facility on site some do then you would not need to worry about charging from the car. I would say a split charge relay would be your best option as per the caravan  

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2007, 12:45:42 »

Good point. Or take your battery charger along and ask them if you can plug it in somewhere to charge it up.

I'd be surprised if a 110ah battery didn't last you the whole holiday though.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2007, 13:00:00 »

It won't last long if it's running a colour tv.
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2007, 13:28:01 »

I'd hope a 110 ah battery would run it for a whole week! If it's a 12v powered TV rather than a mains set on an inverter it should only take 1 or 2 amps at 12 volts.

Kevin

It mains powered.....and takes about 50W +  5W for the invertor which is about 4.5amps at 12v, obviously as the battery voltage starts to drop then the curent will increase.....im not quite sure how long a 110ah will last bearing in mind the invertor shuts down when the battery voltage gets to 10v.

Martin_1962

« Reply #20 on: 21 August 2007, 13:47:18 »

I am making a 12V lead for my TV

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 21 August 2007, 14:13:09 »

I presume a 12v to mains ?

If so and its just for a portable tv.......you can buy 75w inverters off fleabay for around £5-£6 +postage

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 August 2007, 14:29:55 »

Ahh, OK.  A mains TV running from an inverter is a different proposition. Much more thirsty.

Kevin

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 21 August 2007, 15:21:09 »

I presume a 12v to mains ?

If so and its just for a portable tv.......you can buy 75w inverters off fleabay for around £5-£6 +postage

Caravan TV uses an external power supply so unplug that and plug in lead

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 21 August 2007, 20:12:48 »

It won't last long if it's running a colour tv.

I tested the idea on a ropey 47ah car battery that carnt hold its charge for long......it powered the tv from the inverter for 2.5hrs.....thats where i came up with 5-6hrs or poss longer  with a 110ah leisure battery :y

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 August 2007, 20:56:32 »

If you only want to run a 12v tv try this  http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/jump-start-900/path/battery-chargers-engine-starters-2
i have one that i use for camping and it will run 2 portable dvd players for 4 hours plus recharge my camcorder (using 300w inverter) a couple of times and run a 12v light all night  without being recharged. ( and it still has enough power to jump a car )..
plus it comes with a mains and car charger so you can keep it charged at all times.
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #26 on: 21 August 2007, 22:18:13 »

If you only want to run a 12v tv try this  http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/jump-start-900/path/battery-chargers-engine-starters-2
i have one that i use for camping and it will run 2 portable dvd players for 4 hours plus recharge my camcorder (using 300w inverter) a couple of times and run a 12v light all night  without being recharged. ( and it still has enough power to jump a car )..
plus it comes with a mains and car charger so you can keep it charged at all times.

Thanks for the info  :y but my portable tv is mains powered and im looking at about 55w continous consumption....which i doubt that device would be capable of for very long  :(

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 21 August 2007, 22:29:04 »

It may be worth asking the site if they have battery charging facility on site some do then you would not need to worry about charging from the car. I would say a split charge relay would be your best option as per the caravan  

Ive looked into this  :y

Split charge relays (from web sites ive looked at) seem to agree that the main feed cable to the battery should be about 40amp and fused at 30amp....which is sound advice.....which would be ok on normal car batteries.....but this will be a leisure battery (110ah) and recomended charge rate is "bench charge at 7amp" which i assume to be max charge current....if so....using a split charge relay isnt the way to go unless you can limit the current.....my mains bat charger....which i think maybe the way to go using an inverter max charges at 7amps on high setting  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.