Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm porblem  (Read 4241 times)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
Alarm porblem
« on: 13 July 2006, 11:32:34 »

Hi all,(Omega 2001) I am new to this forum hope i have posted in the right place -
Basically the alarm triggers itself for no reason, I seem to have two alarms not sure, one alarm when triggered sounds with the car horn and the indicator lights flash, the other which i am having the trouble with has a lower tone, this triggers itself off with a tone only no lights or the horn sound are included.
Any ideas?
Dave.
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm porblem
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2006, 11:42:56 »

Hi all,(Omega 2001) I am new to this forum hope i have posted in the right place -
Basically the alarm triggers itself for no reason, I seem to have two alarms not sure, one alarm when triggered sounds with the car horn and the indicator lights flash, the other which i am having the trouble with has a lower tone, this triggers itself off with a tone only no lights or the horn sound are included.
Any ideas?
Dave.

Have you checked alarm plunger under the bonnet, if this is not secure or positioned correctly the alarm will be triggered with movement ie wind etc, this is what mine used to do its worth a look.

HTH
« Last Edit: 13 July 2006, 11:43:25 by nixoro »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2006, 11:43:50 »

There is one main thing to check on the Omega if you gte false alarms.

This is the bonnet switch, it often gets damaged/bent when people work on the car. Make sure the bracket is straight and its worth considering fitting a rubber pad to the bonnet section where the swithc makes contact. The false alarms occur due to the colling/heating of the bannet causing it to change shape slightly.

Another simple test is to press the alarm button when you leave the car to disable the ultrasonics, this will also rule these out.

Dam....he beat me!
« Last Edit: 13 July 2006, 11:44:08 by Mark »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2006, 11:45:51 »

There is one main thing to check on the Omega if you gte false alarms.

This is the bonnet switch, it often gets damaged/bent when people work on the car. Make sure the bracket is straight and its worth considering fitting a rubber pad to the bonnet section where the swithc makes contact. The false alarms occur due to the colling/heating of the bannet causing it to change shape slightly.

Another simple test is to press the alarm button when you leave the car to disable the ultrasonics, this will also rule these out.

Dam....he beat me!

I always thought car movement caused it, never thought of heating of the boonet would cause this. lol ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2006, 11:46:12 »

Welcome Dave :)
Yes, this was the right place to post :)

Omega has two alarm horns - the main one (normal horn), and a power sounder (goes off if someone tries to disconnect battery to stop alarm going off).

Sounds like your prob is the power sounder.  It could be a faulty unit, or the wiring (dodgy wiring could lower voltage or even disconnect, so power sounder does what it thinks is right).

I'm assuming your car battery is OK (just double check by measuring with a meter, then measure again with headlights on (engine off)) and post back here...
Grumpy old man

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2006, 11:46:48 »

Wow that was quick -thanks.
Dave.
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2006, 11:48:36 »

Sounds like power sounder batteries to me - quick someone add a readme.

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2006, 11:49:10 »

Welcome Dave :)
Yes, this was the right place to post :)

Omega has two alarm horns - the main one (normal horn), and a power sounder (goes off if someone tries to disconnect battery to stop alarm going off).

Sounds like your prob is the power sounder.  It could be a faulty unit, or the wiring (dodgy wiring could lower voltage or even disconnect, so power sounder does what it thinks is right).

I'm assuming your car battery is OK (just double check by measuring with a meter, then measure again with headlights on (engine off)) and post back here...

Will do... I'll check all bonnet switches and battery i will keep you informed. Thanks all

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2006, 11:52:04 »

Sounds like power sounder batteries to me - quick someone add a readme.

This would be useful, i aint got a clue where the batteries would be :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2006, 11:54:41 »

power sounder batts in power sounder unit, under scuttle. According to Vx, not changable, we know different.  Usually, when this batts fail, they beep 4 times every time you get out of car.
Grumpy old man

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2006, 12:15:48 »

power sounder batts in power sounder unit, under scuttle. According to Vx, not changable, we know different.  Usually, when this batts fail, they beep 4 times every time you get out of car.

This is becoming clearer the alarm does exactly what you say, we park up it sounds 4 times not all the time but i would say in 5 -6 journeys 2-3.

I'm sad not very tech  - where's the scuttle and how would i identify the unit and replace the batteries. If i manage this will i need to reset anything.
Many thanks Dave.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2006, 13:05:38 »

Scuttle is the plastic bit under wipers. There is a guide on removal over in Maintenance Guides section.

Hopefully, someone who has had to change batts will be able to say where to get them from and how easy/hard it is...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2006, 14:14:48 »

Scuttle is the plastic bit under wipers. There is a guide on removal over in Maintenance Guides section.

Hopefully, someone who has had to change batts will be able to say where to get them from and how easy/hard it is...

Unfortunately the guide needs updating with details for the facelift its partly the same bar the jet sprayers are built into the scuttle, and as I dont have a Facelift I was unable to detail a solution for removal whether they just unclip I dont know.

So if anyone has removed the facelift model scuttle feel free to add to the guide.

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2006, 14:35:27 »

You just lean it up the window, don't need to disconnect anything - however I can't get my drivers jet out for a clean!!!!

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2006, 17:59:46 »

I think I will be playing with the car this weekend - then straight to the pub ;) Thanks all.
Dave

STMO123

« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2006, 18:14:53 »

There have been a few threads about this problem recently, both on here and in THAT OTHER PLACE [smiley=evil.gif]. These are the main points:

You can change the batteries but this doesn't always cure the problem.
I was told by my local independent that the power sounder has to be programmed to the ECU once disconnected.
The batteries are available from cellpacksolutions in Newcastle.
I have two batteries which I have decided not to use( as the beeps really dont bother me that much) and ,if anyone would like them, drop me a PM and they're yours.

Cheers, Steve

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2006, 01:53:04 »

Been busy (house move n all) so didn't have time to try anything of the above.

Damn alarm has been sounding for the last 15 mins (1:47 am) soz neighbours.....

I do not use the fob or key to lock the doors i do it manually hopefully for a peaceful nights kip.. the alarm still sounds even if i DO NOT  lock the doors, the only way to keep it from sounding is  1. leave the ignition on( which i can't do while i'm asleep) and 2. disconected the earth (which i have done) all seems quiet now...

I was reading the car handbook(omega 2000/2001 it states.. fuse 13 (10A) is for mirrors, windows and anti -theft alarm....  if i remove this do you think it will help(quick fix) till i get it sorted.

Thanks again a very tired dave

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2006, 07:02:32 »

Replace the batteries - it will do this until you do

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2006, 16:23:31 »

Thanks all.... I bought a new unit today as we are caravanning over the weekend cost £49 but hopefully thats the end of the problem  seems ok at the moment.
I have the old unit so i can play around with that and open it up battery changing etc.

(facelift model) The unit is under the scuttle drivers side next to the shock absorber mounting. I removed the star screw holding the scuttle down (drivers side) and driver side rubber molding and one wiper which enabled me enough access to the unit (A black box, held down with one bolt).

No re- programming needed

Many thanks all.
Dave.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2006, 16:31:44 by egcc »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2006, 16:25:27 »

Good Result

Fingers crossed for you it doesn't come back :)

STMO123

« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2006, 15:16:51 »

My car doesn't have a power sounder(not any more it doesn't) [smiley=evil.gif]

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2006, 14:39:16 »

My car doesn't have a power sounder(not any more it doesn't) [smiley=evil.gif]

Hi Steve, Many thanks for the batteries, I will play around with the old unit and try and replace the batteries, if i succeed IF lol I will report back Thanks Dave.

To All... if i manage to replace the batteries can i test the unit without fitting it to the car using a battery charger or do i need to fit it.
Thanks Dave.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2006, 14:39:56 by egcc »

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2006, 19:19:11 »

Managed to open the unit, somehow the the area around  the batteries had melted. to poorer condition to fit the new ones, only place for it the bin. :-/
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 19:19:42 by egcc »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.