Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Gasket Fail?....  (Read 2504 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Head Gasket Fail?....
« on: 25 August 2006, 12:31:47 »

I recived this descripton on a car I was interested in:

"it started to misfire on sunday as i was driving and then just died totally.... car overheated and now it wont start, will need towing away... have been told by a mechanic that it is probably because there is no compression e.g head gasket or piston rings or the engine has totally gone"

What does everyone think?

Oh btw it has a 12 month MOT - Expires Aug 2007  :)
« Last Edit: 25 August 2006, 12:32:20 by tunnie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Head Gasket Fail?....
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2006, 12:33:27 »

No compression? Avoid it. Probably cambelt failed, and valves and pistons have had a little chat...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2006, 12:36:45 »

:(

Thanks Jamie

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2006, 12:36:54 »

Whilst on the subject, I have been watching a car on ebay its had both gaskets and cambelt kit replaced but the trouble is it pushes out black smoke and starts to miss after 15mins or so, not sure if its worth going for.

What do you guys think?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2006, 12:57:59 »

I recived this descripton on a car I was interested in:

"it started to misfire on sunday as i was driving and then just died totally.... car overheated and now it wont start, will need towing away... have been told by a mechanic that it is probably because there is no compression e.g head gasket or piston rings or the engine has totally gone"

What does everyone think?

Oh btw it has a 12 month MOT - Expires Aug 2007  :)

Problem with this type of description, assuming it is honest and genuine, is that it is hard to separate cause and effect.

It could be a failed headgasket which led to the overheating and now wont run because of low compression or water in the cylinders. Or it could be an oil cooler failure which was ignored until the resulting overheating caused the heads to warp and head gasket to fail etc. Both these scenarios (and others) fit the description but will be vastly different in cost to repair.
If you budget

Replacement heads £100
Gaskets etc £100
Cam belt kit, water pump etc £100

So say £350 minimum and do your sums around that.  If the rest of the car is in good condition and you get it at the right price then it could be a worthwhile project. Bear in mind that it isnt running so you cant be sure about gearbox, drivetrain, suspension, air con etc etc so look with eyes wide open.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2006, 13:05:15 »

Cheers for that Pete, another problem is the distances involved.

That car was a loooong way away, if it had been local think i would have been more tempted.

After a project needing a oil cooler now, as i feel i can do that. I stripped down an engine at the scrappy to get the oil cooler bolts for Jamie, and it was so easy!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2006, 13:06:03 »

Whilst on the subject, I have been watching a car on ebay its had both gaskets and cambelt kit replaced but the trouble is it pushes out black smoke and starts to miss after 15mins or so, not sure if its worth going for.

What do you guys think?

Would this be fixable :question

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2006, 13:49:34 »

What do you guys think?

Black smoke from exhaust? It could be very very rich but why dont the cats clean it up?
It could just be re-assembled wrongly so might be an easy fix but it could also be something more major like stuck piston rings following a cambelt failure. Try to get more of the history or assume that it needs lots of work before you bid.
It could be a major headache for you or a opportunity to learn more depending on how you approach it.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2006, 13:56:52 »

What do you guys think?

Black smoke from exhaust? It could be very very rich but why dont the cats clean it up?
It could just be re-assembled wrongly so might be an easy fix but it could also be something more major like stuck piston rings following a cambelt failure. Try to get more of the history or assume that it needs lots of work before you bid.
It could be a major headache for you or a opportunity to learn more depending on how you approach it.

Cheers for the advice pete, the car itself looks in pretty good nick but without the engine its not worth it, I have emailed the seller just awaiting his response now. Shall dig further to find out if it has had a cambelt failure in the past.

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2006, 04:26:20 »

I worked for the V6 plant for years on durability and warranty - I have and would buy any V6 with a damaged engine except for oil in water /heat ex failure - they are a nighmare to clear - stay clear of those the rest,i.e  bent valves oil leaks the works no problem. a correctly built V6 will last for years!!!!!!!!
if its not built to the correct procedure it will give you years of hassle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2006, 07:46:00 »

this is quite a rare occurance is it not on the V6 - didnt Tezray rebuilt his......
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2006, 23:37:40 »

I worked for the V6 plant for years on durability and warranty - I have and would buy any V6 with a damaged engine except for oil in water /heat ex failure - they are a nighmare to clear - stay clear of those the rest,i.e  bent valves oil leaks the works no problem. a correctly built V6 will last for years!!!!!!!!
if its not built to the correct procedure it will give you years of hassle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Hijacking the thread for a minute, GeffD - do you know if JSeaman ever got his white 3.0L going again...?

« Last Edit: 26 August 2006, 23:38:23 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2006, 21:48:57 »

Having spoken to the guy selling the car they apparently disconnected the ECU when they did the headgaskets private garage did the work and now the car is running to rich the seller has been trying to get the ecu reprogrammed but all the garages in the area only have diagnostics equipment thats not equipped for reprogramming.

Either way I think I may give it a miss.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2006, 21:51:35 »

That sounds like bullshit. Disconnecting ecu will not require reprogram of ecu!  break me, if it did, battery changes would be dealer only jobs.

Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2006, 21:55:33 »

That sounds like bullshit. Disconnecting ecu will not require reprogram of ecu!  break me, if it did, battery changes would be dealer only jobs.

I had my doubts hence not goin after it although I could go for it and rob the bits off and flog the rest.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.