Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a quick update....  (Read 16520 times)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
Re: Just a quick update....
« Reply #75 on: 23 August 2006, 08:59:28 »

You shoud have fitted the inlet coolant pipe before you put the passenger side head on - remember how hard it was to get off!!!!!
That's exactly what i thought, just after i had fitted the head!  ::) ;D

That outlet pipe is a pain - thats why you often see Omega's without the lifting BKT fitted - I find it easier using a 10mm ratchet ring spanner on the E12 bolt there should be a spacer ring aswell - this was used as the bolt was too long for the hole.
I used a 10mm rachet as well, mainly because i have one in a 1/4" drive and gave me more room to work with....Mine didn't have a spacer ring when i took it off! I thought that bolt was a bit bloody long!!

I have my first rebuild question! There are 3 connectors behind the passeneger head, 1 is the dispac, 1 in the crank sensor, what's the other one?? Because i cant find anywhere to connect it to?! Unlesss it's fallen down the back somewhere and i cant see it.....

Hopefully i'll be cracking on with it today, although it's bloody raining  >:( But i'm hoping to get the rest of my pulleys on, heads torqued and cams in. Cheers for your support guys  :) It's great how doing something like this makes you learn loads about your engine and actually makes it seem no-way near as complicated as you first thought...

vectrolosys

• Bristol, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23 August 2006, 09:08:58 »

Hey mate,

Just read all about your progress, those valves look stunning!! hope my valve spring compressor has proved useful. When your done, you'll have to let me have a drive, lol!!

It does take a while, but trust me, it's well worth it in the end for the sense of acheivement and satisfaction.

James

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 23 August 2006, 09:46:57 »

Am I right to think It may smoke for a little while whilst oil deposits are being burnt off from the exhaust or something like that.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 23 August 2006, 10:08:13 »

Third connector......fairly big one? then injectors.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 23 August 2006, 10:21:54 »

or if two pin....rear multiram solenoid....(hence why you have no where to plug it because I guess the plenum is still off!)

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 23 August 2006, 13:46:54 »

Hi Terry

Just read your little story.

Looks like you're a lot closer to finishing this than I thought you'd be when I saw the car a few days ago.

Give me a shout when you come to start it. Id love to hear it for the first time.

Also I'll probably continue on mine Sat, Sun and Mon so if you fancy coming up and taking a look at it, give me a shout.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 23 August 2006, 16:10:01 »

James, nice to see you on here for once! lol Yes you're welcome to a drive when she's done, i'm hoping to get everything back together tomorrow and give stuart a call to come and time her up  :) Then it'll just be a couple of hours to get her back up and (hopefully!) running! It has been a lot of work, but it should all be worth it in the end and i have learnt a lot in the process.

Pete and Mark, i think that's it! I'm pretty sure its the injector plug (big chucky one and the rear multiram is already plugged in), so that'll just go back on when i get the injectors in place.

Mark (sideways), if i wasn't working friday and saturday i'd probably have her running by then, but as it is it will hopefully be sunday...So you want to hear her splutter into life?? I'll let you know when she's ready and yes i could come and have a look at yours, should be interesting!

Nixoro, i imagine it will smoke a bit while the new stem seals bed in and it'll probably cough any remenence of the headgasket out of the exhaust!

I have another question.....The coolant pipe that leaves the passenger head (about 20mm diameter), what/where does it connect?? It should all make sense when i start getting it all back together, but atm i cant think where it's suppose to go!!

*EDIT* I have a another question (well comfirmation rather than question). I removed the drivers side cat the other day to gain a bit more access when re-fitting the heads and found it was full of water from when the HG went  :( I presume it's going to be completely mullered now?? It's had water in it for the past month?!!  ;D Not funny really, but if it's dead it's dead. I could always fit my decat pipes and map it to run with them i suppose.....
« Last Edit: 23 August 2006, 16:15:34 by Tezray »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 23 August 2006, 16:21:48 »

I cant think of any coolant pipe that leaves either head.....your not thinking of the air injection pipe from the exhaust manifold are you?

Cat will probably be ok, they are ceramic with a rare metal coating so dont corrode.....the casing might a little but it will only be surface rust.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 23 August 2006, 16:28:12 »

So the cat will live? I am surprised...I thought even if you parked your car in a damp bit of land for a few weeks it'd harm/kill them?

There's a pipe coming from each head, both with 2 tubes that bolt into the top of the manifold...Are they air injection pipes? I couldn't remember because it was a while ago when i took them off! Has anyone got a picture of the general 'bad pipe' area? It might be usefull for me to organise where everything's going....

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 23 August 2006, 18:37:04 »

Yes they are the sec air pipes - they go to the other one that goes across the timing cover - the out let pipe connects to the radiator, cats go if you go over a deep puddle when they are at working temp around 750 degs C - but I have had head gaskets go on a rig filled the exhaust with coolant - didn't do any harm - then again didn't leave it there for a month lol.

So the cat will live? I am surprised...I thought even if you parked your car in a damp bit of land for a few weeks it'd harm/kill them?

There's a pipe coming from each head, both with 2 tubes that bolt into the top of the manifold...Are they air injection pipes? I couldn't remember because it was a while ago when i took them off! Has anyone got a picture of the general 'bad pipe' area? It might be usefull for me to organise where everything's going....
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 23 August 2006, 20:09:51 »

Cheers V6man, i'm sure it'll all come together in the end! As for the cat, i'm sure MOT time will tell me if i killed it! lol

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 24 August 2006, 20:23:22 »

Well she's getting there! Torqued each head 2 lots of 90 degree's, waiting until sunday to do the final 90 degree's and then i'm not sure weather to do the 15 degree's tolerance? As i'm slightly worried about cracking the block....Is it really necessary? Once she's torqued, i'll re-fit the cams and then the guys coming round to time her, then it'll just be 2-3 hours to finish the build, re-fit the drivers side cat and refil my fluids  :)

Currently looks like this;

It's amazing how much more room you've got to play with when the heads aren't in there!! lol

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 24 August 2006, 21:14:43 »

Well she's getting there! Torqued each head 2 lots of 90 degree's, waiting until sunday to do the final 90 degree's and then i'm not sure weather to do the 15 degree's tolerance? As i'm slightly worried about cracking the block....Is it really necessary? Once she's torqued, i'll re-fit the cams and then the guys coming round to time her, then it'll just be 2-3 hours to finish the build, re-fit the drivers side cat and refil my fluids  :)

Currently looks like this;

It's amazing how much more room you've got to play with when the heads aren't in there!! lol

You have been doing very good job mate, the fact that you will do the final torqueing on Sunday is very good as it will help to keep a constant clamping force on the head without much relaxation.  You will soon be rewarded for all the hard work.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 24 August 2006, 21:23:27 »

Good effort mate looks very nice and shiny, as mentioned in the other thread I wouldnt even contemplate anything V6 related so I am pleased its all going/gone you way and hope you get rewarded with a good result :)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 August 2006, 20:57:51 »

Cheers guys, she should have been running today but i had 2 small problems and now it wont be until Tuesday  :( Quite dissapointed tbh....

It was all going well, Stuart came out and timed it up (very good bloke  [smiley=thumbup.gif]) but 2 things have stopped me;

-For some reason completely unknown to me i cant get the crank pulley back on, i can get 4 bolts in and the other 2 will not go, i felt like throwing the rather thing through my windscreen by the end of the day!

-I can't find the vacuum connection for the fuel pressure regulator! Any clues/tips/idea's where it might be?? I really cant find it anywhere....The vacuum to connect to this;

Other than these things it's all gone very well and i'm quite confident now that it will run really nicely. Fitting a cambelt kit and timing it is so so easy!!! I'm definately doing it myself next time. To be fair though he did only charge me £40 to come out to me (10 mile trip through bristol), fit the kit and time it. Here's a few pics of my progress today;

Heads torqued, cams fitted and torqued;

Sprockets on, ready for the kit to be fitted!

And how it's currently looking;

It's so annoying, if i had found the vacuum pipe and got the crank pulley on she'd be running now.....I did get a lot done today though. So does anyone have any ideas about the vacuum pipe for the FPR?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 18 queries.