Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 'running in' procedure....  (Read 2467 times)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
Best 'running in' procedure....
« on: 30 August 2006, 09:46:37 »

I've decided that a good running in procedure for my top end will consist of getting 600 miles of half-throttle, no more than 4000 RPM, no 'loading' driving. Any thoughts on this? Tbh i haven't taken her above 3,500 RPM yet, i'm going very gently on her.

After say 200 miles (town driving), would it be safe to start opening her up slightly? I mean, maybe take her to 4500-5000rpm, or put the engine under slightly more load in low revs? Obviously i wouldn't want to drive serenely and then as soon as i hit 600 miles take her to redline!! lol

Any hints/tips? Are the rumours that opening up a freshly built engine is good for it in the long run and will actually make it a 'faster' engine? I personally don't believe this but thought i'd get some opinions....
« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 09:47:28 by Tezray »

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Best 'running in' procedure....
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2006, 09:49:55 »

The last time I ran in a new engine (a while ago! :()  the process I followed was 100 miles of very smooth revs only up to half throttle, then at the 100 smoothly open it up through the gears and give it a couple of miles at proper driving.  Then back to boring until the next 100 mark.  After 1000, drive as normal.  Worked a treat for me.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2006, 10:04:14 »

I am not sure that the top end needs ‘running-in’ as such… at any case I didn’t use to do it when I did engine heads (pre-Omega era…).

I would say that you should drive the car sensibly and carefully while listening to the engine, so that any fault will become apparent immediately and you will have the time to switch the engine off and investigate before further damage is caused.

But in my view it is more a case of you gaining confidence that the repair is up to the job rather than getting any mating surfaces to bed-in etc.

This was how we did thing 15 years ago, but if this is not the current advice anymore than maybe someone can suggest a more modern procedure…
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2006, 10:11:57 »

During any running in proc, varying the speed is a usual thing to do as well.

I would take it easy for 500m or so, not revving the nuts off it or flooring it, but gradually using more of engine...
Grumpy old man

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2006, 10:35:14 »

So many different methods!!! I see Markjay's point about it not really needing to be run-in (like the bottom end would), but basically i just want everything to settle in, after all i have just disturbed an engine that was last put together 8 years ago!

Tbh i'm quite happy now that she's running fantastically, the engine feels like it just wants to go! But i think maybe i'll cover 100-200 miles, flush the oil and then maybe start to open her out a bit further....

I suppose if i'm listening to the engine and it feels fine i can't be doing any damage? It's not like i'm going to drive it like i stole it lol Just want to make sure i'm doing the best thing for the engine  :-?

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2006, 11:08:42 »

So many different methods!!! I see Markjay's point about it not really needing to be run-in (like the bottom end would), but basically i just want everything to settle in, after all i have just disturbed an engine that was last put together 8 years ago!

Tbh i'm quite happy now that she's running fantastically, the engine feels like it just wants to go! But i think maybe i'll cover 100-200 miles, flush the oil and then maybe start to open her out a bit further....

I suppose if i'm listening to the engine and it feels fine i can't be doing any damage? It's not like i'm going to drive it like i stole it lol Just want to make sure i'm doing the best thing for the engine  :-?

You do not need to run anything in my friend, as you haven't really changed anything apart from the head gaskets and seals etc. The running in procedures are for engines that had major rebuilt work with parts such as piston rings, shells, valve guides, cams, lifters, rehoned cylinders etc.
In your case you just need a few thermal cycles so that the gaskets bed and seals bed in (few days) then change oil and coolant and give it full bananas.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2006, 12:13:03 »

Give it full banana's  ;D

So the fact the valves, combustion chamber and piston crowns are now de-carbon'd isn't an issue? And what about the new valve stem seals settling in? I'm definately changing the oil soon, i've got some major mayo in the filler neck (a lot more than normal) I think due to there being some water still in with my oil, so that'll get a good flush in about 90 miles from now....

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2006, 14:27:16 »

Not totally related to your situation (an old engine), but this is a little discussion on the matter of running in a new engine on my regular forum...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=47853

Looking at my first post I must have originally seen the link i posted on 'the other place'.

Liam

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2006, 14:53:45 »

Well done who ever suggested heat cycles !

Running in an engine is complete crap really ! If somethings going to let go, it will from the on set !

3 heat cycles is all thats needed, so thats get the engine fully up to temperature and then let it cool down completely 3 times !

Its how racing engines are run in !

There seems to be eveidence to suggest that if you treat your engine with kid gloves it will always be a pussy cat ! Treat it average to hard, and it will give its best !
Of course theres no actual science behind this, but i havent seen anyone fall foul of the treat em rough run in treatment, but personally i'd use it as per normal engine, just dont pamper it !

Of course the first 100 miles or so, i'd be keeping an EYE on everything, the temp, smells, torque settings , noises etc , then give it some as you would normally drive !

Modern engines are built to a much higher standard than there classic counterparts 30 years ago !

Mark

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2006, 15:13:31 »

Mark, very usefull info there thank you  ;)

I've just been out on her first proper drive, 15 miles! lol Everything went great, my coolant warning came up but i checked the level and it's fine! Good old coolant level sensor  ::) My aux drive belt (or something being run on it) has started to squeek slightly and increases with revs, it sounds like it might be coming from my PAS pump/pulley.

Still a slight burning smell! But i think it's gradually going....I did 'open her up' VERY slightly, e.g half throttle and up to 4000rpm through 3rd, god she shifts! I cant wait to open her up properly! I'll be keeping a very close eye on everything for the next few months tbh...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2006, 18:35:25 »

How true this is dont really know......but i have heard the best way to run a new car in is.....lend it to a rental company for a few thousand miles.

i think that means different driving styles.....ragging it....driving normally etc does it favours  :)

But dont got blame me if you ragg it and it blows up!  ;D A new car car and it wouldnt be a problem....vx would have to put a new engine in under warranty  ;)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2006, 18:41:07 »

How true this is dont really know......but i have heard the best way to run a new car in is.....lend it to a rental company for a few thousand miles.

i think that means different driving styles.....ragging it....driving normally etc does it favours  :)

But dont got blame me if you ragg it and it blows up!  ;D A new car car and it wouldnt be a problem....vx would have to put a new engine in under warranty  ;)

...or loan it to TD to use as one his taxis for a couple of weeks, this will run it in for sure!  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2006, 20:12:37 »

...or loan it to TD to use as one his taxis for a couple of weeks, this will run it in for sure!  ;D

Oh no MJ.....constantly plodding about town which i often do......doesnt do a car any favours  ;)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2006, 21:16:06 »

Terry, I'd say in your case you're not really running the engine in. You just need to take a little care incase something's not quite right.

However if you were running in a complete new engine, or one with a rebore, this website makes fascinating reading:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2006, 22:04:43 »

Well one thing is for sure, and proven !

If you have followed procedure and torque settings correctly and used good quality parts, there AINT gonna be a problem !

Like i said, if somethings going to let go, its going to do it very soon after initail startup !

As TD says and is VERY correct, town driving and plodding about in general wont do any engine any favours !

If you feel like going mad, go mad, and great to see you had her up to 4000 rpm.
Just re-check all torque settings etc, after about 100 miles !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.