Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: X20XEV to V6 swap..  (Read 3044 times)

-MAV-

• Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
    • View Profile
X20XEV to V6 swap..
« on: 28 March 2007, 10:15:18 »

does anyone have info on such swap? What do i need to change? or lets say what should i keep? :)
i have climate control and full trip computer, and i want them to work properly after swap.. In plans its gonna be manual (as it is now), can i keep gearbox, rear diff and  driveshafts?
is it real in general, or it is better to buy another car with factory V6?

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6393/tricyclesmalltg6.jpg[/img] FWD Sucks!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: X20XEV to V6 swap..
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2007, 11:43:51 »

just buy an Omega thats already a V6.

Exhaust totally different, engine mounts, air-con system is also different using different pipes.

Because they are so cheap, just sell the 4pot and buy the V6.

Not a lot in terms of outright performance (0-60) from 2.0 to 2.5.

3.0/3.2 Manual is one to go for if pace needed  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2007, 11:44:41 »

forgot to add gearbox is different the a 4 pot box manual or auto will not last long connected to a V6.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2007, 11:51:13 »

just buy an Omega thats already a V6.

Exhaust totally different, engine mounts, air-con system is also different using different pipes.

Because they are so cheap, just sell the 4pot and buy the V6.

Not a lot in terms of outright performance (0-60) from 2.0 to 2.5.

3.0/3.2 Manual is one to go for if pace needed  :y

Are you certain on that one Tunnie? ;)
Having owned both I would beg to differ!  :y

As Tunnie says though a transplant would be a significant job ........ you'd be better selling and buying a V6!
« Last Edit: 28 March 2007, 11:52:54 by RossPhim »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2007, 12:01:00 »

i'd say so....(personally)

I mean its a lot of work to transfer the 2 powerplants i'd prob get a 2.6 manual next but can't be asked to change

I had a 2.5 for a while, it did feel more powerful but on the 0-60 dash it was no quicker (granted that was an auto)

But i can get my 2.2 to do the 0-60 dash in 8.9 sec, that was my second attempt, i rekon i could get 8.7 ish fairly easily...

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2007, 15:15:18 »

I can bet that stock 2.2 Omega never do 8.xx to 60 ;)
how much does it take by the book? 11? 10? not less than that! :)
its impossible to get REAL 0-60 time using stock speedo and stopwatch in mobile phone :)

about cheap cars... My  98 Omega costs here about 10-12 000 USD is it cheap? :) i dont think so... mostly it because our stupid laws... its very expensive ot import used car from Europe... in germany such car cost from 3 to 5 KEur...  As for mine - i like everything in it - "sport" interior, manual gearbox, caravan body, climate control, factory xenon lights, boardcomp and so on... The only thing i'm not satisfied with is engine :(
there are not so many same-equipped cars, but with V6.... :( Caravans are not very popular here, manual gearbox on V6 is hard to find, not even talking about Sport seats and so on...
And again, because of laws, most of cars are worn and with unclear history, thats why i'm thinking about swap. But if i'll find adequate V6 for sale...  :)

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6393/tricyclesmalltg6.jpg[/img] FWD Sucks!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2007, 15:43:04 »

The simplest way is to purchase another car with a V6 already in but I understand fully how unavailable such cars are beside you and the costs and problems of importing them.  Nearest EU country (Austria) from you appears over 900 miles away, according to Autoroute.

Ultimately, nothing is impossible but it can sometimes take a lot of thought and hard graft to get what you want.  You may have to compromise on things such as AC or the computer etc to get the V6 working, even assuming its a GM V6 and not a Ford or some Japanese creation.

The user Omegatoy has done a few interesting mods over the years, apparantly, as have some other regular users.  They may well contribute and/or advise when they get a chance, much better than I.

Good luck in your task!!   :y

B

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2007, 15:48:03 »

I can bet that stock 2.2 Omega never do 8.xx to 60 ;)
how much does it take by the book? 11? 10? not less than that! :)
its impossible to get REAL 0-60 time using stock speedo and stopwatch in mobile phone :)

about cheap cars... My  98 Omega costs here about 10-12 000 USD is it cheap? :) i dont think so... mostly it because our stupid laws... its very expensive ot import used car from Europe... in germany such car cost from 3 to 5 KEur...  As for mine - i like everything in it - "sport" interior, manual gearbox, caravan body, climate control, factory xenon lights, boardcomp and so on... The only thing i'm not satisfied with is engine :(
there are not so many same-equipped cars, but with V6.... :( Caravans are not very popular here, manual gearbox on V6 is hard to find, not even talking about Sport seats and so on...
And again, because of laws, most of cars are worn and with unclear history, thats why i'm thinking about swap. But if i'll find adequate V6 for sale...  :)

Official figures for 2.2 manual from Parkers.co.uk & same on What Car:

2.2 (manual) - 0-60 9.5 seconds
3.0 MV6 (auto) 0-60 8.7 seconds

Both 'official figures'

Recent testing by some members had 8.2 for the 3.0 MV6... and it was leaking cam cover gaskets, and going around a round-about and up hill!!! So even with all that its still faster than official figures.

With 9.5 quoted as for 2.2... i would be able to get 8.7/8.8....

The test i did (which got 8.9) was standing start, 2k rpm dip the clutch, soon began to move press stop watch on the indicator stalk..... NOT with a Mobile phone (which is illegal!!)

and i press stop just after it passed 60.... that was my second attempt...

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2007, 16:21:46 »

Both 'official figures'

Recent testing by some members had 8.2 for the 3.0 MV6... and it was leaking cam cover gaskets, and going around a round-about and up hill!!! So even with all that its still faster than official figures.

The test i did (which got 8.9) was standing start, 2k rpm dip the clutch, soon began to move press stop watch on the indicator stalk..... NOT with a Mobile phone (which is illegal!!)

Ok, maybe Opel officials underestimate their cars, i agree that its possible to do high eights to 60... i fogot about miles-kilometers... i was talking mostly about 0-100 km/h, while 0-60 mph is equal to 0-98 km/h. not a big difference but in many cases it needs extra gear shift :)
But again, I THINK if you try some per[ch1089]ise  datalogging stuff or GPS you may be a little disappointed  ::)

official figures for my 2.0 Omega Caravan - 12.4  ;) Once i tried to  test (using stock stopwatch), it appeared to be around 10.xx I dont believe in such miracles.. :)
About mobile phones... You must be joking right? How do they control this in your country? In Ukraine its illegal too, but our police has another problems to solve... :) I'm not proud of it, but sometimes i even write sms ir ICQ messages. :( but only if its safe and i REALLY need it. :)
« Last Edit: 28 March 2007, 16:25:20 by -MAV- »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2007, 17:41:38 »

Your right about mobile phones, its just been made law here. You not allowed to hold one when driving, as for controlling it.... its impossible, i only if a police car see's you  ::)

Here is a list of the factory 0-60mph times:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=985&page=7

The 2.2 is a stroked 2.0 and has more torque, so compared to the 2.0 its 0.5 sec quicker....

Been maintaining mine well recently, lots of oil changes, filters, throttle body made huge differnce.

Especially on the 2.0/2.2 clean the breathers! There is one tiny pipe which easy gets clogged, and when i cleaned that it felt like had 30 extra bhp!! Around 4k rpm it takes off were before it did not.

I take it yours is an Auto? Then thats about right for 2.0 ... manual makes a big differnce  ;)

Of course like anything with people timing on stopwatches, mobiles, its going to vary a great deal.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2007, 20:06:45 »

Engine swap is easy bit!!! its the little thoings that you have to do that make the conversion that much harder to complete,
for instance, engine mounting are in a different place, there wont be the extra set of exhaust hangers for the twin system on the smaller one,clutch on the big engine is hydraulic small one cable, so the pedal box has to be done, the brakes wil need swapping for the big ones , the axle in the smaller car has the small flange on the drive shafts, so you will have to swap the rear axle for one with the big driveshafts, and to get the correct gearing for the big engine, the dashpanel will have to be changed , along with teh ecu, which means the key etc etc etc  I could go on and on(whatever gives you the idea Ive been there before) :o
yes its possible to do but its a lot of work and whatever time frame you set yourself add at least 6 weeks to it!
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2007, 21:22:00 »

Both 'official figures'

erm 7.8 for a 2.6 auto :y

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2007, 21:33:24 »

Both 'official figures'

Surely (and I'm not condoning breaking the law here) the real difference will show more between say 60 - 100.
I know overtaking manoeuvres are a lot easier and swifter in the 2.5 compared with my old 2.0.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2007, 22:57:08 »

Both 'official figures'

Quoted figure for 3.0 MV6 manual is 7.7 secs, I've managed it in 7.1 on the stopwatch but even then I'm sceptical of both mine and everyone else's timings. I do believe it's possible to beat the book figure by a small margin if you're prepared to give it some mild abuse (and I'm confident of getting below 7 secs on the stopwatch with some real abuse), but the method we're using is far from accurate due to both speedo and button pressing inaccuracy. So when it's down to 10ths of a second we're discussing, the only worthwhile way is to do it with some kind of automated measuring system, such as a good gps system.

Yes the factory figures are pessimistic and don't involve a 4,000 RPM launch and super-fast (read synchro-eating) shifts, but I think some of our results are a little optimistic in terms of just how much we're beating the book figures.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2007, 08:12:35 »

I've got both 2.0 and 2.5.

I would actually say the 2.0 feels more lively off the blocks but that may be due to less refinement than the V6 - feels like a smaller car.  Midrange the V6 definitely has it.

I would say that , stopwatches aside , the biggest difference is in the refinement and sophistication that you get with the V6 compared to the more rustic 4 pot.

Cheers

Ian

Martin_1962

« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2007, 10:34:29 »

Both 'official figures'

Quoted figure for 3.0 MV6 manual is 7.7 secs, I've managed it in 7.1 on the stopwatch but even then I'm sceptical of both mine and everyone else's timings. I do believe it's possible to beat the book figure by a small margin if you're prepared to give it some mild abuse (and I'm confident of getting below 7 secs on the stopwatch with some real abuse), but the method we're using is far from accurate due to both speedo and button pressing inaccuracy. So when it's down to 10ths of a second we're discussing, the only worthwhile way is to do it with some kind of automated measuring system, such as a good gps system.

Yes the factory figures are pessimistic and don't involve a 4,000 RPM launch and super-fast (read synchro-eating) shifts, but I think some of our results are a little optimistic in terms of just how much we're beating the book figures.

I think the book figures are definately suspect. They are easy to beat - I think they are low to cover their bums if someone tries to sue because they can't beat them.

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2007, 16:27:52 »

Engine swap is easy bit!!! its the little thoings that you have to do that make the conversion that much harder to complete,
for instance, engine mounting are in a different place,
yes, but its stock! :) easy to get.
there wont be the extra set of exhaust hangers for the twin system on the smaller one,clutch on the big engine is hydraulic small one cable, so the pedal box has to be done
i have hydraulic clutch on X20XEV... it shares fluid with brakes,  maybe SOHC engine has cable?!! ,
the brakes wil need swapping for the big ones ,
nope! late 2.0 have same brakes with 3.0 cars, 296 mm, i dont know how much   it mean in inches, but these are the biggest stock rotors for omega available..  plus after stock discs worn, i changed them for cross-drilled Zimmermans :) Never tested the difference, but it makes me happier :)

the axle in the smaller car has the small flange on the drive shafts, so you will have to swap the rear axle for one with the big driveshafts, and to get the correct gearing for the big engine, the dashpanel will have to be changed , along with teh ecu, which means the key etc etc etc  I could go on and on(whatever gives you the idea Ive been there before) :o
yes its possible to do but its a lot of work and whatever time frame you set yourself add at least 6 weeks to it!
Omegatoy

Yep... i totally agree with the rest... The easiest way is to get a donor car with all necessary parts fitted, it can be bought for relatively cheap - about 3-4 KUSD... Maybe it can even be a Vauxhall :) i've seen a lot of them breaking in poland :)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2007, 23:15:08 »

You can have mine for 3-4k USD  8-)

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2007, 08:41:31 »

Used V6 engine costs here about 2 KUSD :(
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.