Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need new Head Unit with Aux input  (Read 7340 times)

TheDufster

• View Profile
Need new Head Unit with Aux input
« on: 14 December 2006, 06:46:57 »

I am just about to buy a 60gb Creative Zen Vision:M mp3 player, mainly for use in the car. However i have heard that these fm transmitters aren't up to much, so I need a hard wire metod of connecting the player up to my stereo which is a CDR 2005 vdo.

I have read somewhere on the internet that it's not possible to connect up to this unit - is this correct? Do I need to get a replacement head unit with an aux input? (jack or bespoke connector).

If so, can someone point me in the right direction with this???

Thanks in advance!

(by the way - I am not willing to go for an iPod instead of the Creative. I have seen lots of cables for sale for ipod connections)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Need new Head Unit with Aux input
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2006, 09:07:37 »

Some of he FM units can be very good.....you have to consider that for most files, the MP3 will be the low quailty bit.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2006, 15:10:10 »

Wired FM modulators are fine, the wireless ones are kak in omegas due to the rear screen being the ariel.

I'd replace the headunit, i replaced mine with an Alpine and it gave a fantasic improved to clarity and bass though the standard speakers.

I have an Alpine 9854R, you can get the iPod Kit which allows you to control the ipod though the steering wheel controls and headunit, also shows track name in the display, but at £90 extra its a bit steep.

I just put a standard RCA to headphone cable in, which was 90p rather than £90!! Quailty is great:

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2006, 17:35:45 »

Thanks for the replies - I was worried that there wouldn't be a solution.

1) The quality of the mp3s isn't an issue. All of my music at home is in mp3 format throughout the house and it suits me just fine. I was more worried about interference, hissing etc.

2) As I mentioned, iPOD connections are of no use to me. I was hoping for a "jack" type input like the one you have Tunnie, unless there is a connector specially made for the Creative Zen. If you say the quality is great then that suits me!

3) What sort of cost am I looking at for the replacement head unit, and is it a self fit type of install or do I need a professional?

4) Where did you get the "frame" or "blanking piece" that fills the hole where the old Omega stereo went?
« Last Edit: 14 December 2006, 19:09:47 by TheDufster »

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2006, 12:55:29 »

I'd replace the headunit, i replaced mine with an Alpine and it gave a fantasic improved to clarity and bass though the standard speakers.

I have an Alpine 9854R, you can get the iPod Kit which allows you to control the ipod though the steering wheel controls and headunit, also shows track name in the display, but at £90 extra its a bit steep.

I just put a standard RCA to headphone cable in, which was 90p rather than £90!! Quailty is great:

OK - supposing I followed the route you took..... I am guessing that all I need is the fascia plate, the head unit and the RCA-headphone cable. How easy is the install? Is it just a case of taking out the existing unit, unplugging the cables and inserting the new head unit and plugging the cables in?

Or I guess somewhere like Halfords would fit it for me (for free). I note on Halfords website that the 9854R is not listed though!

« Last Edit: 15 December 2006, 13:06:50 by TheDufster »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2006, 16:14:40 »

Some of he FM units can be very good.....you have to consider that for most files, the MP3 will be the low quailty bit.

Believe it or not but the FM transmiter add on for MP3/ CD changers are in fact illegal and you could in theory be charged under the telephone wireless act as you are technically broadcasting over the FM frequency and therefore classed as a pirate radio station.

Currently on-one has been charged with this exact offence but it is a possibility.

And of course the law is changing next year  :)

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2006, 18:47:59 »

Believe it or not but the FM transmiter add on for MP3/ CD changers are in fact illegal and you could in theory be charged under the telephone wireless act as you are technically broadcasting over the FM frequency and therefore classed as a pirate radio station.

Currently on-one has been charged with this exact offence but it is a possibility.

And of course the law is changing next year  :)
Actually they became legal last friday, see this
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2006, 21:46:30 »

As i said technically some are still illegal as stated at the end of the article:-

"However, many devices currently on the market will remain illegal as they do not meet the legally required technical specifications and could interfere with radio broadcasts".

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2006, 22:00:55 »

As i said technically some are still illegal as stated at the end of the article:-

"However, many devices currently on the market will remain illegal as they do not meet the legally required technical specifications and could interfere with radio broadcasts".

Good point.....
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2006, 22:25:53 »

OK - supposing I followed the route you took..... I am guessing that all I need is the fascia plate, the head unit and the RCA-headphone cable. How easy is the install? Is it just a case of taking out the existing unit, unplugging the cables and inserting the new head unit and plugging the cables in?

Or I guess somewhere like Halfords would fit it for me (for free). I note on Halfords website that the 9854R is not listed though!

Its farily straight forward, the Alpine unit was around £160 ish i think can't remember exactly what i paid for it. Although it was worth every peny! You can also buy the RCA to 3.5mm jack (standard headphone type) for around £10 although this is a little steep and cable should do, they have them in the indian cheap shops in towns and about £1

As for swapping it out all straight forward, you will loose the MID and steering wheel controls unless you buy adition adaptors. The MID i could live without, but i had to have steering wheel controls. Was about £20 for the adapator, just plugs inbetween the Vx loom and the headunit with a little wire going off to a box which understands the steering wheel controls.

That fasia link is right, that will just clip in. The new headunit should slide in easy as pie... any problems let me know. If your based near any of my 2 locations i'd be happy to help  :y

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2006, 23:58:41 »

It is every bit as easy as Tunnie says. :)

I would not buy a headunit from Halfords though, they are not the most keenly priced! ;)

Oh, and the Alpine unit Tunnie mentions is excellent...
The Administrator.

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2006, 08:57:30 »

Cheers folks - I would have only chosen the Halford's route if the installation was tricky. I'd rather pay  for the benefit of someone else doing it properly than me messing it up! LOL.

Thanks for the offer of the help to fit Tunnie, but I am 200+ miles north of you. Don't worry - I'll be sure to post here if I get into difficulties! I like the idea of the adaptor for the steering wheel controls. I let you know how I get on, but realistically it will be in the New Year before I get around to it.

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2006, 09:59:00 »

Cheers folks - I would have only chosen the Halford's route if the installation was tricky. I'd rather pay  for the benefit of someone else doing it properly than me messing it up! LOL.

Halfords if tricky - I wouldn't trust them!

If you don't do it go to an independant ICE installer

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2006, 12:35:23 »

If you don't do it go to an independant ICE installer

Halfords just send out monkey who aint even done his GCSE's yet, or better still failed them. Having said that i do know 1 guy in a Halfords store who actually knows his stuff, but he's rare. They generally don't have a clue!

Go for it Dufster, any probs post it up here and should be able to help!  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2006, 15:51:29 »

Halfords just send out monkey who aint even done his GCSE's yet, or better still failed them. Having said that i do know 1 guy in a Halfords store who actually knows his stuff, but he's rare. They generally don't have a clue!

You could substitute Vauxhall for Halfords in the above sentance and it would still make sense.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.