Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to look after a battery thats off the car  (Read 1176 times)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
how to look after a battery thats off the car
« on: 14 August 2011, 18:31:28 »

just been given a spare battery as my mates passat was written off [got hit by a car while parked outside his house] so whats the best way of looking after it.i know i could buy one of those automatic top up battery charges but at about 40 pounds it seams a bit of  a overkill.dont want to keep swapping it on to my car as i dont know the radio code.so any ideas?

Martian

Re: how to look after a battery thats off the car
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2011, 18:50:42 »

Depends on how long you intend to store it, I'd say anything more than 2-3 months and your only real option is a conditioner/charger when weighing up the costs.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2011, 18:55:58 »

...i know i could buy one of those automatic top up battery charges but at about 40 pounds it seams a bit of  a overkill.dont want to keep swapping it on to my car as i dont know the radio code.so any ideas?

I know it doesn't help you now, but keep an eye out for Lidl &/or Aldi have their offers on. They often sell a cheap Optimate/Ctek type charger at around £13, not as clever as the real thing but for the money they're great value.  :y

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2011, 21:10:35 »

I bought one from Lidl a couple of years ago.Im glad you reminded me that I have it Andy, as I now have a spare battery that I can use it with. :y ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2011, 21:15:29 »

I bought one from Lidl a couple of years ago.Im glad you reminded me that I have it Andy, as I now have a spare battery that I can use it with. :y ;D

:y :y :y :y

I just leave mine permanently connected to my caravan's battery, it came in handy last year when I had problems with the caravan's basic charger, and being a bit smarter it means I can leave it charging when hooked up on my drive without worrying about boiling the battery.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2011, 21:17:50 by Andy_B »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2011, 06:43:22 »

I just leave mine permanently connected to my caravan's battery, it came in handy last year when I had problems with the caravan's basic charger, and being a bit smarter it means I can leave it charging when hooked up on my drive without worrying about boiling the battery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that a caravan charger doesn't 'properly' charge a 12v battery. as it's restricted to 12v+ output to protect the caravans 12v circuits, where as to charge the battery properly you need to put 13v+ into it.
I like red cars

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2011, 09:27:23 »

i got a solar charger its 1wat, been keeping my spare's of for a wile. think they about £7 on bay... just change the plug and put crocodile clips on the end of it, have one on caravan as well battery never gone flat yet.. :y
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2011, 09:41:44 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that a caravan charger doesn't 'properly' charge a 12v battery. as it's restricted to 12v+ output to protect the caravans 12v circuits, where as to charge the battery properly you need to put 13v+ into it.

You need 13.8 Volts to fully charge a 12V lead acid battery. 12 Volts output from the charger would result in the caravan electrics still draining the battery, as its' terminal voltage won't drop to 12 Volts until it's almost flat..

I would have thought a caravan charger would put out 13.8 volts or have some intelligent charging function, otherwise it'd be no use.

In addition, most 12V electrical items are happy with up to 14.4 Volts as that's what you have in a car electrical system when the engine's running.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2011, 09:44:49 »

An old style onboard charger isn't clever enough to float charge the caravan battery so they restrict the voltage to protect the battery rather than the caravan's 12 volt system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.