Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignition key problem  (Read 3177 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Ignition key problem
« on: 12 July 2006, 08:17:51 »

Not sure if I have posted in the right section but here goes.

Basically when I go to put my key in the ignition usually it just turns without a problem but now not all the time but most of the time I have to turn the key at least twice to get the ignition to turn on, nothing wrong with the immobiliser its as if the key is jamming when the key is turned.

Does this sound like I am going to need a new ignition barrel.

Any Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition key problem
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2006, 08:52:57 »

Two things to try.

1) Is it easier if you wiggle the steering wheel?

2) Is the key turning at all.

It might simply be a case of giving it a quick spray with some lube..., if its case one then remove the cowl and spray the section between the lock housing and steering column to lube the steering lock mechanism

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2006, 09:14:56 »

Cheers for the response Marks DTM

The key itself turns but a couple of times over the passed few days the key has been sticking as its being turned.

Shall try the wiggle the steering wheel idea, and shall even do the lube I am guessing wd40 is the best to use or is grease needed.

Whats the recommended?

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2006, 09:19:14 »

How easy is it to dismantle as I would be tempted to regrease it

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2006, 10:22:20 »

How easy is it to dismantle as I would be tempted to regrease it

Not sure how easy it is to dismantle but if I get time after work I may take a look, perhaps even do a write up for future reference for on here.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2006, 10:38:02 »

A spray with WD will help for a while but the real fix is to remove the lock barrel and dismantle it, there will be dried-up grease and dust in there which causes the tumblers to stick. The tumblers mat also have burrs on the sides which can be removed by lapping on a diamond or oil stone.

Dismantling is fairly easy but take your time and make careful note of the position of all circlips, washers etc.
Use the thinnest smear of grease when re-assembling, too much only attracts dirt and dust.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2006, 10:40:25 »

A spray with WD will help for a while but the real fix is to remove the lock barrel and dismantle it, there will be dried-up grease and dust in there which causes the tumblers to stick. The tumblers mat also have burrs on the sides which can be removed by lapping on a diamond or oil stone.

Dismantling is fairly easy but take your time and make careful note of the position of all circlips, washers etc.
Use the thinnest smear of grease when re-assembling, too much only attracts dirt and dust.

Cheers for the advice Pete

Shall have a look later.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2006, 09:14:20 »

*update* had the cowling off the steering column but that was as far as I went for the moment as I didn't have the battery disconnected.

With the cowling off it looks like there is a black part attached to the barrel which has an oblong connector am I right in thinking this is the part the key chip communicates with.

I also noticed on the opposite side there are live connections running to the back am I right in thinking the cover unclips and then these cables can be removed.

In the end as a temporary measure I lightly greased the key until I can remove the barrel properly.

Key seems to be better when turning but come the weekend I will have the barrel off and have a proper look.

Never had any dealings with the ignition before so if anyone could confirm my suspicions it would be most appreciated.

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2006, 09:24:58 »

Hmm spray grease - I forgot about this - put pipe in barrel and squirt a bit in!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2006, 09:34:46 »

My patio door keeps having similar probs. Rather than spraying the lock and filling with dust attractting oil, I spray the key, and pull in/out a few times, locking/unlocking as well. Seems to work....
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.