Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista or XP???  (Read 4007 times)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Vista or XP???
« Reply #30 on: 12 July 2007, 22:21:16 »

On the subject of 56k.....  I have a Home Hub supplied by the company that I work for,  they have asked us to volunteer to share the wireless in our localities at home..  they plan to up the power of the units in software to give greater range and stable connectivity...  We'll all be down to 56k again at this rate....

What a *'kin liberty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over DC
Do it right, do it once................

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 July 2007, 22:27:51 »

On the subject of 56k.....  I have a Home Hub supplied by the company that I work for,  they have asked us to volunteer to share the wireless in our localities at home..  they plan to up the power of the units in software to give greater range and stable connectivity...  We'll all be down to 56k again at this rate....

Rant over DC
They gonna pay the leccy bill?
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 July 2007, 22:30:46 »

Rant over DC
They gonna pay the leccy bill?

Don't mind that... It's the free Radiation Treatment I don't need...  Already risky!  2.5ghz...

DC
Do it right, do it once................

Martin_1962

« Reply #33 on: 12 July 2007, 22:38:43 »

The driver issue may not be Vista's 'fault', but it is a major problem and good reason to not use Vista for at least 6 more months.  Vista may prove to to be good, but it is to be avoided for now.  

Windows is not the only good OS, Mac's are quite good.  Safari can be a bit unstable, but OSX is great.  One thing typifies my thoughts on the hubris of MS, Windows Update.  I don't mind downloading and installing updates but the world isn't going to end if I don't reboot right away.  I don't need pop-ups every five minutes interrupting what I'm doing, or the computer destroying an hour's work by rebooting if I leave for 10 minutes because I wasn't enough of a supplicant to the altar of Bill.  SWMBO says that Windows Update is a synonym for Virus and refuses to do them.  She does have fewer problems with her laptop . . .  :-?

net stop wuauserv

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 July 2007, 15:27:49 »

I was going to get ISDN, then BT got the hump and told me I'd have to relinquish my 5 digit phone number - just after I'd moved in and told everyone my number - so I waited for broadband.  >:(

The mobile phone test gear I work with supports HSDPA. Seeing megabits go through a mobile phone is a wake up call. However, that's effectively with a bit of coax between phone and base station. I wonder what throughput'll be like in the real world. Plenty of quicker stuff in the pipeline too. Just need the Tunnies of the world to dream up some applications before the service providers get cold feet.

Not that Tunnie gets as much time to dream now ;D

Kevin

Went on a 'lads day out' yesterday (still sufferring badly today), and was bored on train.  So downloaded the mobile version of Google maps to my phone.  What an excellent bit of kit - that could use up some of the bandwidth ;)

(OK, so I have Tomtom and Memory Map (Ordinance Survey maps) on the phone, but the google maps was brilliant - I'm here in a strange town, show me all the pizza places near me)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 July 2007, 16:44:45 »

I'm here in a strange town, show me all the pizza places near me

I can see this sort of thing taking off really well when A-GPS gets a little more common. From in your pocket to working GPS receiver giving position fixes in a couple of seconds, then just ask away. Can even guide you on foot if you can still focus on the screen!

I must admit I've been thinking about Memory Map for some time as they do aeronautical charts too.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 July 2007, 16:52:39 »

I'm here in a strange town, show me all the pizza places near me

I can see this sort of thing taking off really well when A-GPS gets a little more common. From in your pocket to working GPS receiver giving position fixes in a couple of seconds, then just ask away. Can even guide you on foot if you can still focus on the screen!

I must admit I've been thinking about Memory Map for some time as they do aeronautical charts too.

Kevin
I find it very good, I have the full Manchester AtoZ on my PDA saves looking for addresses when I'm at work.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 July 2007, 18:07:59 »

Having both TomTom and Memory Map on the phone, I didn't think I would need Google Maps, but it makes a useful addition. Even if I was far to drunk to read any maps ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 July 2007, 18:09:09 »

Oh, other thing with google maps, is that it automatically downloads what you are asking for, fairly quickly as well.  Probably hits the gprs a bit though....
Grumpy old man

pete1666

• Bridgwater Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 July 2007, 18:45:39 »

Stick to XP for aleast another year, there is to many issues at the moment
and dont dual boot unless you realy no what you are doing.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 July 2007, 20:30:11 »

Oh dear, the Luddite's woken up. Most of my machines use Win98SE, but I recently added a Packy Bell Celery 1.5G laptop running XP home cause it would use a lot less power than my main Athlon box. Things were OK, it was noticable slower, but usable. After a few days it seemed be getting even slower, but I put that down to running AVG and spybot search. Then without any warning, it died, complaining about not finding some NTFS program. The recovery software supplied didn't work (made things worse), Seagate's tools were unable to help, and that was it, several weeks work gone. :'(    With Win 98, I had a fighting chance of fixing it using Norton, or at least getting my work, bookmarks etc off, but not with NTFS. We seem to be making things so overly complicated when for most uses a basic machine with the OS FIXED in ROM would be ideal. It wouldn't do unpredictable things. Don't you think its time for a new computer architecture ?. We are still using a version of the original PC design from about 27 years ago. There must be more efficient ways of moving data around than this.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2007, 20:30:56 by Ken_T »
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 14 July 2007, 20:39:08 »

Being a programmer ...For Vista is still early...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 July 2007, 21:34:48 »

Oh dear, the Luddite's woken up. Most of my machines use Win98SE, but I recently added a Packy Bell Celery 1.5G laptop running XP home cause it would use a lot less power than my main Athlon box. Things were OK, it was noticable slower, but usable. After a few days it seemed be getting even slower, but I put that down to running AVG and spybot search. Then without any warning, it died, complaining about not finding some NTFS program. The recovery software supplied didn't work (made things worse), Seagate's tools were unable to help, and that was it, several weeks work gone. :'(    With Win 98, I had a fighting chance of fixing it using Norton, or at least getting my work, bookmarks etc off, but not with NTFS. We seem to be making things so overly complicated when for most uses a basic machine with the OS FIXED in ROM would be ideal. It wouldn't do unpredictable things. Don't you think its time for a new computer architecture ?. We are still using a version of the original PC design from about 27 years ago. There must be more efficient ways of moving data around than this.
The reason you shouldn't use Win9x is stability. And the fact that it is no longer supported (no security updates to fix critical flaws).

The OS is unrelated to filesystem. FAT (all types) is fundamentally flawed, and is not recoverable. NTFS is a recoverable filesystem.  And the NTFS tools are significantly better than FAT tools (the OS does a lot of recovery in the background), though Norton is rubbish, and hasn't been updated since Symantec bought it 10yrs ago.  No filesystem can cope with a dataloss from the disksubsystem.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.