Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's going to the Air Tatto?  (Read 2123 times)

Taxi_Driver

Who's going to the Air Tatto?
« on: 12 July 2007, 22:19:08 »

Remember me  ;)
« Last Edit: 12 July 2007, 22:19:41 by Taxi_Driver »

Martin_1962

Re: Who's going to the Air Tatto?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2007, 22:36:34 »

No tickets won this year, also no Vulcan so not worth paying

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2007, 08:33:28 »

This will be the tenth annual pilgrimage for my self and my University mates to RIAT.

Unfortunately, in the last 5 years, we never made it to the show as we had a great difficulty in getting past the pubs in Lechlade (we used to camp at the Trout just outside Lechlade).

This year, as a break with tradition, we will be attempting to actually get into the show on the Saturday (although these words have been uttered before!) and have switched campsites to one in Fairford which has shower facilities a bar and a disco......sheer luxury for us!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2007, 08:44:47 »

This will be the tenth annual pilgrimage for my self and my University mates to RIAT.

Unfortunately, in the last 5 years, we never made it to the show as we had a great difficulty in getting past the pubs in Lechlade (we used to camp at the Trout just outside Lechlade).

This year, as a break with tradition, we will be attempting to actually get into the show on the Saturday (although these words have been uttered before!) and have switched campsites to one in Fairford which has shower facilities a bar and a disco......sheer luxury for us!

I know the Trout......used to goto trad jazz nights there...

Campsite with bar (altho this site only appears at AT time)......if its the one im thinking off.....its along a track next to Gate G.....right by the perimeter fence......so doubt you will leave the site  ;D ;)
If its the one.....nearest pub is about 1mile away......and is about £14/£15 taxi ride (its the plus charge for Fairford that makes it expensive!) .....but sure i could do it for less  ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2007, 08:59:14 »

No, we are staying at Fairford Football club.....in Fairford and they are opening the bar.

cbx550bertie

• wolverhampton
  • mick macarthy`s gold an black army
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2007, 10:58:57 »

funny you said that bout the vulcan i delivered to bloke on sunday who`s involved with the rebuild an i`m off to cosford on sunday(blagged a day off) as they have just had 3 jaguars delivered for the cold war exhibit an he also told me that all being well the vulcan was doin a test flight last tues to get her air worthiness certificate :) :)
why oh why didn`t i go for the 3.0... DOH

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2007, 12:00:44 »

Well hes wrong.....I have been donating to TVOC for years and have visited the Hanger on many occasions.

558 is currently in the final stages of rebuild following the major plus other bits its having.

Currently work is on-going on the under carriage with retraction work currently taking place to setup the micro switches etc (interesting to watch the web cams).

Shes still not got any PFC motors so there is no way shes leaving the ground plus the functionals are not complete so I would say there is a good 3-4 works before a test flight!

Having said that, shes a magnificent beast and the last British designed plane we built so a very worthy cause to donate a few quid to!

I know a bit about her as its was an acquaintance who bought it!

www.tvoc.co.uk

Also down at Bruntingthorpe (which is where 558 is) are a number of other planes including Victor tanks, Jags, a comet, a super guppy, a tri-star, buccaneers and two fantastic Lightnings......many of these still fast taxi (including the lightnings)

The guys who look after the lightnings are fantastic (they let you sit in them!) and are trying to raise funds to complete the re-build of the last 2 bay fast response shelter left.....as such they have an open day in just over a week where again they will be doing fast taxi runs.....so if you fancy a day out, pop along.......

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2007, 12:10:16 »

Campsite with bar (altho this site only appears at AT time)......if its the one im thinking off.....its along a track next to Gate G.....right by the perimeter fence......so doubt you will leave the site  ;D ;)
If its the one.....nearest pub is about 1mile away......and is about £14/£15 taxi ride (its the plus charge for Fairford that makes it expensive!) .....but sure i could do it for less  ;)

Is that the one on the N side of the runway (right side per normal takeoff)?   If so we usually camp there.   Were planning to go on Sunday but the forecast is crap at the moment.

Can't wait for the return of the Vulcan - still remember the multi sensory experience of one flying low overhead when I was little.

Shame the B2 has stopped coming to Fairford

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2007, 12:14:03 »

Do you know anything about the Comet at Bruntingthorpe?

There was talk that it was coming to Lasham (where I glide) for a restoration but I guess that didn't happen for whatever reason (probably paperwork). IIRC, it was basically airworthy but needed some temporary permit to be brought to Lasham whereby it would get a proper restoration.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2007, 12:31:12 »

Knowing a Vulcan owner - best I can do are as follows - all railway

GWR
28xx
2 Halls

SR
Merchant Navy

BR
a few Diesels including 37s 47s 50 55.

I have chatted to a 9F owner!!!!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2007, 13:20:02 »

Well, hes not an owner any more as he donated the plane plus all the spares (including 8 zero hour Olympus 201 engines) to the trust for restoration.

He does own some of the other aircraft.....and the Victor also gets a fast taxi sometimes to!

As the the comet, cant say a great deal about it other than it does regular taxi runs.

Interestingly, would you believe that the thing that will stop the lightnings is not the plane or engines.....its the availability of the special starter fluid!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2007, 13:54:52 »

For a bit of background etc in the lightnings, look here:

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?act=ST;f=38;t=85

Although a post on a bulletin board, it makes for some good reading, particularly the 'incidents' which the ground crew experienced!

Eighth_dwarf

• Brissol
    • '97 2.5 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2007, 14:51:40 »

and to get this back on topic, I wil be there on the Sunday, sat in my deckchair watching the planes in the rain!
Daily drive     - 1997 2.5 CD Auto - 25-35 mpg
Weekend Fun - 2003 RX8 231      - 14-18 mpg

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2007, 15:05:42 »

.. or looking at some noisy clouds ;)

Eighth_dwarf

• Brissol
    • '97 2.5 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2007, 15:12:24 »

yes, one or t'other
Daily drive     - 1997 2.5 CD Auto - 25-35 mpg
Weekend Fun - 2003 RX8 231      - 14-18 mpg
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.