Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suspected air leak, where should I look??  (Read 1780 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
suspected air leak, where should I look??
« on: 18 October 2006, 20:35:32 »

Hi guys,
           I've still got my eml lit with the codes showing for a lambda and maf fault. I changed both of these today for second hand units to no avail so it looks like I've got an air leak somewhere, as has been previously suggested. As far as I can make out, all vacuum pipes & breathers are clear and in good condition.
Where's the most likely areas for air leaks on the 2ltr ecotech? The car drives fine with no misfires, just an uneven idle from time to time on petrol. I'd also say that it is maybe a bit thirstier than it should be but I'm not sure on that one as I've not had it long enough to do a proper fuel economy check. Initial findings are about 20mpg on LPG with very mixed motorway and town driving, although I'm not 100% about this inital check.  
One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a lot of gurgeling from the canister under the battery, is this normal?
I'm thinking about changing the inlet & exhaust manifold gaskets next week, just to eliminate them and have a check of the egr valve, any other suggestions?

Cheers Jim  
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Martin_1962

Re: suspected air leak, where should I look??
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2006, 23:12:13 »

Thinking about 2.0

1) EGR valve is this leaking?
2) jet into mainfold - clean? also is pipe clean, leak free and unblocked?
3) big pipe with corrugated sections - is it OK? any cracks in ridges?
4) That other pipe - is it leaking?
5) Do you have the little box on the crank breather?

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2006, 23:27:51 »

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply, I'm going to have a good going over everything tomorrow, been busy doing work on the Scirocco ready to sell it.

One thing that's not fitted is the crankcase breather box. I got one from the breakers last week so I'll bung it on.
I've also noticed a noise when I switch the engine off after a run, not quite a hiss but a sort of buzz - could be air escaping from somewhere. I'll double check every breather and vacuum pipe and I've got the EGR valve off the old engine to try as well.

I'll let you know how it all goes tomorrow  :)

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2006, 16:26:03 »

Hi Martin,
              I spent most of today checking breathers, vacuum pipes etc and cant find anything wrong  :( I even changed the EGR for the one off my old engine but still no difference and checked the vacuum pipe was on the canister behind the right hand wheel arch cover. I'll order a new inlet manifold gasket on Monday and try this. Codes still showing for lambda and MAF!!
I'm really starting to get p**sed off with this fault now, strange that the car drives perfectly. The idle is not as erratic as it used to be on petrol but still a bit uneven after a rev. If I could get the EML to go out I'd be a happy Meega owner  :)

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2006, 18:24:37 »

Spent this morning changing both inlet and exhaust gaskets but the eml is still on. I double checked every vacuum hose and breather while the manifolds were off and they are all 100% clear & healthy. So it doesn't look like an air leak after all. The car's running great and I'm taking it to Birmingham this weekend so at least I know the gaskets are okay  ;) I'll recheck the codes after the long run and see if the maf & lambda are still present, might just have to bite the bullet and fit a new lambda  ::)

Cheers Jim

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2006, 21:31:44 »

Oh dear!

It may be worth borrowing a MAF to see it the error goes away with it.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2006, 23:14:53 »

Hi Martin, I've tried a second hand maf & lambda but they were known to be working or not so I could have fitted duds! As you say, I'll need to try and locate a couple of know units to try out.

Cheers Jim

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2006, 09:00:55 »

I would strongly sudgest checking the wiring as the next step....buzz it through right to the ECU....start with the MAF first.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2006, 10:26:42 »

Thanks Marks, I supose checking the wiring would be the next logical step (I hate electrical gremlins :'() Guess I better dig out the multimeter and check if there's a fault somewhere.

Cheers Jim

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2006, 13:14:09 »

I would strongly sudgest checking the wiring as the next step....buzz it through right to the ECU....start with the MAF first.

Ease the ecu out of its box and undo the connector. We have seen some of these where the connector pins have turned green and furry.
Also check that the multiplugs next to the battery are clean and fully engaged.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2006, 17:51:38 »

At last, some progress on this one!!

I rechecked codes today, MAF had gone and I was left with two for the lambda (0130 &0135) The initial lambda that came from the donor car was only flashing up 0130 before so I refitted it. Started the car and the EML went out  :) It did come in again after a few minutes and switching over to gas put it out again. It's out at the moment so I'll see how it goes on the journey to Birmingham tomorrow. At least it looks like it's now lambda related and there must have been an air leak at the inlet manifold as well. Next step when I get back will be to check the lambda wiring and if it's okay, I'd guess that it's a 95% chance that it's a fault with the lambda itself.

Slowly getting there..................... ;)

Cheers Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.