Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear door speakers  (Read 2590 times)

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
Rear door speakers
« on: 17 March 2007, 22:58:45 »

Does anyone know what size the rear door speakers are ? I'm advised the fronts are 17cm, which will suit my Component set just fine, but am not sure about the rears.

Anyone fitted 6x9's in the rear shelf ? Seem to remember that cutting any holes in this area is a serious No,No ?!
My most hated six words...... 'It's a common problem on Vauxhalls' ...........arrrggghh !!!!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rear door speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2007, 23:56:16 »

Hmmm a few points...

Rears are 17cm also (iirc).

What components are you looking at fitting? Unless you are amping the system, don't bother, no head unit will drive them properly. Oh, and the components had better be quite shallow.

I would not do anything with the rear speakers, they are there to provide fill in sound to the front soundstage.

As for 6x9's on the rear shelf? Nooo!

Edit: I see you are amping them (as per your "newbie" post).
I would not be writing off the standard fit speakers yet. They don't sound great with the original fit headunit, but when you add something decent (Pioneer I see, excellent choice ;)) and then amp it, they are transformed! :)

Also, I am not sure if the infinty's will fit (I had problems with the depth on some). Which ones are they?
« Last Edit: 18 March 2007, 09:47:09 by admin »
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2007, 10:59:59 »

Personally I would just shove an Active Sub in the boot, the Omega speakers are excellent. I just put a new Alpine up front, Vibe CBR10 Active in the boot job done. Sounds fantastic now.

As LB66 mentioned 6x9's on shelf??? Nooooo!

If you put an active sub in the boot enough base comes though the vent area anyway, for a little more, open the Ski hatch a tad  :y

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2007, 21:33:40 »

Know what you mean about the Infinity's. I had to enlarge the opening in the door on my cav to get the magnet through (they're the 6500's with the separate X-over and tweeter), a fair bit deeper too, although with the collars on, they shouldn't protrude too far into the door !

Might just try swapping the head unit and amp and powering the sub via the amp for now, if the O/E speakers are as good as you reckon ?!

What's the easiest side to run the wring through (if there is one) ?
My most hated six words...... 'It's a common problem on Vauxhalls' ...........arrrggghh !!!!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2007, 00:25:35 »

I would go with just amping as I am pretty certain the 6500's won't fit.

I ran the cabling down the passenger side, pretty straightforward once you get through the 2 grommets. :)

Which headunit do you have?
The Administrator.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2007, 03:53:10 »

No 6x9s!  
On facelift, fronts are 165mm, rears are 130mm (with separate tweeter). No need to change them.  Max magnet diameter for fronts is 100mm.  Max depth is 65mm.

If you have a four channel amp, just bridge two and add a sub, use the other two for the fronts and upgrade later.  Drive the rears from the headunit.  Definately get a sub though.
Fade the rears down by about 75% to prevent the headunit getting hot and distorting.

I ran the cable down the driver's side, simply because I used the hole where the throttle cable used to go through.
Laidback's suggestion will be best for you.  Grommets in the cabin air filter box, then into passenger footwell.

Standard speakers alongside Alpine SPS 171A to show max mag. diameter.

The adaptor I used was for a Corsa!

Custom made sub.  

Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2007, 23:33:03 »

Head unit is Pioneer 7020. Infinity 6500's have 90mm magnet and are approx 60mm deep.
Are the front O/E crossovers built into the speaker or is it a seperate unit somewhere ? Would really like to use the 6500's, as they'll only be gathering dust otherwise !

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2007, 15:36:48 »

The front 'crossovers' consist of a single electronic component, soldered across the tweeter.

Disconect the standard tweeters and install your 6500s complete with crossovers.

I fixed my tweeters to the front window 'triangle' and mounted the crossover in the side pocket on Velcro for easy access.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

rob.b.666

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2007, 18:53:31 »

So do the speaker cables run to the bass speakers, then up to the tweeter or to the tweeter and down to the bass unit ?

On the Cav, I just disconnected the door speakers, although I'm not sure whether the grilles in each corner of the dash actually ever had tweeters behind them.

Am trying to get my TIS2000 working, without success at the moment, so can't access wiring details ! >:(
« Last Edit: 20 March 2007, 18:54:03 by rob.b.666 »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2007, 20:52:26 »

Sorry couldn't answer sooner.  

The main units and tweeter are wired in parallel.  There is a tweeter feed tee'd off the speaker wire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.