Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18635 times)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2012, 09:41:44 »

I have always managed the inner race from axle with a puller and never had problems.

Outer from hub has been a struggle in some cases but a sef-made puller (threaded bar, nuts, spacers and a pipe) have always done the job.

Heat and freezer are essential in assembly. Hot hub and cold bearing, then some time to settle, heat (reasonably!) to bearing and frozen axle in. AND, while the axle is still cold, the inside flange (the one where drive shaft bolts to) hot: this is essential because the splines are very tight and you will face problems tightening it  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2012, 11:36:45 »

Yes, youve done 2 for me...

1st a nightmare
2nd, hard, but much easier in comparison

supersaw

• Lithuania
    • 95' Omega, 2.0 16v + LPG
    • View Profile
    • MappingTracking.com
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2012, 11:59:05 »

I have a similar problem on the rear left side with my pre-facelift omega. :'( 
Also a sound/noise starts @ 40km/h and is speed-variable and this sound/noise is sometimes stronger sometimes not.
But the sound is not a whine, but a little bit different its like a "Ding Ding". Also with the sound/noise comes a vibration.
When I do a corner to the right the sound and vibration is getting stronger.

A couple month ago when I was driving to a gas station something broke or similar, because I heard strange tyre squeal (but tyre has not blocked) (Hand Brake Pads? ??? ?)
So I think there might be a problem with a Diff (when I checked it has a old grease spot on the left side) or it might be with a rear bearing..... ?
But if there was a problem with a Diff I think it was a constant sound/noise/vibration ?
Any Ideas fellaz ? :y ;)
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you move that wall

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2012, 16:48:50 »

Helped Johnnycboy do one on his estate last autumn... As Mark said, they can be done in situ (we did) but it can be a right PITA. Heat, freezer and angle grinder all used as required ;)

Not something I'd rush to do again, but could if the need arose ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2012, 17:20:59 »

O is this my problem I have the same whine and have assumed it to be  a front bearing.If it is the back it will certainly be a pros job .Is there anyway to check if front or back, car has done 70,000 mls could it be something else. If run on a rolling road can one wheel at a time be driven to identify which bearing it might be

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2012, 19:26:27 »

mmm much of the above is "bad news" to me ... I have limited ability with spanners, certainly no "heat" or angle grinder, although I could hire one of them in, and no pullers .....  :(

My "plan of attack" at the moment is to jack it up and check the diff for leaks, if none obvious I'll try and feel for play, if none present then check the disk/brakes/shield, if nothing found then I'll go for the handbrake shoes/pins etc.

If that fails to find/ solve the problem I'll be offering to pay one of the OOFers who knows what they are doing to try and diagnose it to either bearing or diff .. as there's not much rotational stuff left ... and to change whichever it is... if its the diff I'll have to get one from a breaker first.

I know when I've reached the limits of my ability .. and diff change / bearing change is beyond that ... so...  if anyone can see a period ahead when they have the time and inclination to take some beer tokens of me .. please check your diaries !!!

Due to other things going on I won't be able to look at the brakes side of things until Thursday now ... :(... at least I catch the bus to work so I won't be making it any worse !!!

:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2012, 11:32:31 »

Todays story ... so far....

Jacked up left side and axle standed. wiggle wheel at all clock points .. no play felt. Spin wheel by hand - definite "rubbing" noise

Remove wheel, go to remove pads, find rear brake piston/pads totally seized .. how it passed an MOT 3 months ago I have no idea. Remove caliper in total to clean.

Rear of disc has the usual corrosion lip, seem a lot worse, so remove as much as possible.

Run in drive at tickover and have a good listen using the old "screwdriver in the ear" trick.

No noises from diff at all... although obviously only one side is spinning.

definite "shush, shush, shush" noise from the slowly spinning left rear wheel, so the problem is probably in there, unless running with the suspension at its lowest point and the drive shaft at an unusual angle could cause this ??

Next step is to remove disc/drum and ensure no corrosion/rubbing in there .. which would leave just the bearing......   but I cannot get the drum to shift, nor can I get any "feel" at this supposed "starwheel" that a screwdriver rotates... :( The wheel spins freely so the shoes should not be in contact with the drum anyway ??

and it is now persisting down.....

Any thoughts from anyone before I go on my knees before the Master ??  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2012, 12:30:04 »

Doesn't matter what I try so far, disc/hub does not want to shift.

From the guide ...

If the disc is stuck to the hub, first clean the hub with emery to remove any surface rust. Then tap the drum section of the disc gently whilst rotating the disc until it comes free.

yeah ... right ...  :(

:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2012, 13:05:04 »

Don't know if this counts as progress or not ....

Handbrake cable disconnected from rear lever, much banging and thumping, disc now spins on drum but will not pull off, feels like it is catching internally.. my guess the shoes are caught on a lip ??

Star wheel adjuster does not move in either direction, screwdriver pressure just lifts or lowers it.

Any thoughts please ??

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2012, 13:32:36 »

Thats where I got to when last changed my rear discs.

Ended up bashing like hell to get the disc off as it had got caught by the lip created by the hand brake shoes albut falling apart.The discs did come off so ened up replacing the hand brake shoes as well but they were only £15 for the set so atleast I then knew they were fine

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2012, 13:47:48 »

Right .. progress.. of a sort ... eventually got the star wheel to turn .. what I thought I was lifting was in fact the spring !!! ... Seems to get in the way !!! .. also old age eyes don't help when peering through small holes with a torch !!

Disc/drum off, nothing apparently broken, run in drive and as soon as you get above 1000 rpm the "shush shush shush" noise starts again.

So unless my hearing is as bad as my eyes (and after 40 years in aviation my ears are shot !!) My guess is the wheel bearing, nothing else I can think of really, I've not heard of anyone having a drive shaft problem.

I now intend to put it all back together and hope it is no worse, then I'll PM the MASTER and see if he is able to help, failing that, does anyone else have the time, knowledge and tools to do this job in a day ?? and preferably either next Thursday, Friday , Saturday or Sunday ??

More than happy to travel and will obviously pay for the work, not after a "freebie" of any description, just want the job done properly the first (and only) time !!!

so The Master and Daz .. PM's inbound .. but if anyone else wishes to earn some beer tokens .....

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2012, 13:56:15 »

If you want to rule out 'driveshaft at an odd angle' as a potential cause .. then a block of wood & jack under the wishbone/arm/spring cup (etc) and push it up to somewhere around normal. Just in case..

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2012, 14:46:09 »

Yeh, I will do it for you.

Would need to try to find a convenient time and I may do it at the railway in one of the sheds  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2012, 14:49:40 »

Cheers Mark, Chris typing, Nige mucky! Any Thursday would be good but will flexible to fit around you. Many thanks  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 April 2012, 14:51:19 »

Cant do Thursdays but have keys the heritage centre and permission to use it  :y

Would have to be an evening or a Sat morning?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.