Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 18652 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #90 on: 11 May 2012, 20:14:24 »

Nige, I'm about this weekend if you want to try Tunnie's tow idea. :y

Thanks for the offer ... :)  I'm still in two minds on that idea...... 

Disconnecting the drive shafts at the wheels will prove no more than what Bill did in Trowbridge, as he disconnected them with the wheels in the air and we spun the wheels manually. Slight backplate rub but nowhere near the noise I get.

Disconnecting prop shaft ... mmmmmm .. the diff/drive shafts would still be turning .. so all it would rule out is gearbox/centre drive shaft bearing .. and the noise is definitly "back end"

I know that "changing on speculation" is not a good idea, but I'm sorely tempted to drop down to Bristol and buy Rob's driveshafts/diff, then to swap the drive shafts and see what happens. It is the easiest (mechanicaly) option .. :(

A lot will depend on what I see/hear tomorrow ... forecast looks reasonable ... :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 12 May 2012, 11:16:58 »

Right , up in the air, both wheels raised to the "normal" driving position by jacking under the shock absorber... run at tick over with the wheels off ....  diff definitely making grumbling noise, pull on either handbrake cable to stop that wheel, no change to noise, pull both and stop both wheels but propshaft still spinning ... noise stops.

Not in any position to do it at any faster than tickover as SWTSMBO has gone out, but it looks/sounds like a diff change now.

I'm going to attempt to film/record on the phone and see if I can get it on utube, so you all can listen ......

But if Rob reads this you have a PM .... :)

feeutfo

« Reply #92 on: 12 May 2012, 11:28:59 »

Can't set cruise? Bit dodgy mind. Hope the car is aimed at a field?  ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 12 May 2012, 11:54:42 »

Pointed at the garage door with me under it !! Set cruise ..... Not likely dear boy ..... :)

Okies .. I've gone a bit further and removed the calipers/rear discs to eliminate any rubbing of brakes etc ... although I can longer stop each wheel in turn the noise is most certainly from the diff ... a continuous low frequency noise that is more than a "rumble" but not quite a "graunch".

Phone idea is not working... sounds totaly different on the phone and the guy next door is cutting his hedge, phone picks that high pitched noise up very well !!

EDIT : Further to my above post ....  should the prop shaft continue to spin with both wheels stopped using the handbrake cables ???  Something in my tiny brain  says that with both wheels stopped the diff should not turn at all and the "idle" occurs in the gearbox ???   or am I going daft as well as stupid ??

FURTHER EDIT : Turning each drift shaft by hand, propshaft stationary, obviously the opposite shaft rotates in the wrong direction, but there is a definite "notchiness" .. don't know if that is normal or not ?? turning propshaft by hand there is  a small amount of play.. about 1/4 "  as the drive is taken up and again, a "notchiness" as it turns.

I know so little about diffs these may be normal for a slowly rotating diff .. but I stick the info up for advice.

I'll go and have lunch/sort out the greenhouse before I reassemble in case anyone has any ideas of what else to check !!
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 12:13:34 by Entwood »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 12 May 2012, 12:18:24 »

You gonna be able to fit it OK Nige :-\
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 12 May 2012, 12:46:36 »

I'll have to be !!!! Looks doable on the ramp, I can get the back end quite high and can get to all the bolts I think I need to see, as long as the halfords pro set has all the right bits .... The only part that I'm a tad concerned about is removing the inner drive shaft ... "lever out" [Haynes] gives little guidance ....  :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 12 May 2012, 12:48:19 »

Sounds quite conclusive as a diff fault to me :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 12 May 2012, 12:53:17 »

Sounds quite conclusive as a diff fault to me :-\

My guess as well ..:(

I think I'll put it all back together and await a call from Rob to arrange to swap beer tokens for his diff/drive shafts. If it gives up the ghost on the way to Bristol and back then Green Flag will have to bring me home ... :) I'm assuming a diff and 2 shafts will fit in the boot ....  :)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 12 May 2012, 14:16:21 »

I'll have to be !!!! Looks doable on the ramp, I can get the back end quite high and can get to all the bolts I think I need to see, as long as the halfords pro set has all the right bits .... The only part that I'm a tad concerned about is removing the inner drive shaft ... "lever out" [Haynes] gives little guidance ....  :)
Don`t mind delivering and assisting with removal/fitting Nige, beer tokens (or in my case, coffee tokens ;D) just to cover fuel. :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 12 May 2012, 14:33:40 »

Don`t mind delivering and assisting with removal/fitting Nige, beer tokens (or in my case, coffee tokens ;D) just to cover fuel. :)

Just off the phone to Rob.... the very, very nice man is delivering the items tomorrow and supervising my attempt to change it all !! I dare say the comment .. "no you ****, you don't do it like that" ... will feature in any conversation !!!

With any luck we'll be posting up a success story tomorrow afternoon ..  :y :y :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 12 May 2012, 14:40:36 »

Just off the phone to Rob.... the very, very nice man is delivering the items tomorrow and supervising my attempt to change it all !! I dare say the comment .. "no you ****, you don't do it like that" ... will feature in any conversation !!!

With any luck we'll be posting up a success story tomorrow afternoon ..  :y :y :y
Late morning hopefully

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 12 May 2012, 14:50:21 »

EDIT : Further to my above post ....  should the prop shaft continue to spin with both wheels stopped using the handbrake cables ???  Something in my tiny brain  says that with both wheels stopped the diff should not turn at all and the "idle" occurs in the gearbox ???   or am I going daft as well as stupid ??

I did wonder at that when I read it above. Your prop should be stationary if your back wheels are stationary  :y

Decline to comment re you being stupid or daft though   ::) ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 12 May 2012, 17:30:08 »

Right then ..

Situation right now ...

Car well high in the air.
Both drive shafts off
Self levelling suspension sensor removed and tied back
ABS sensors out
3 Large (T20) torqx bolts loosened
2 large nuts at the top/back of the diff loosened
Prop shaft bolts removed, but I can't get the propshaft to come off .. it moves forward but not far enough, I've even tried it with all 6 bolts out and the flexible joint completely loose !! does it need a tyre lever in there or should hand pressure (all I've tried) be enough ??

As far as I can tell it is very nearly ready to come out ....... hopefully this work has saved some time in the morning .. :)
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 17:32:37 by Entwood »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 12 May 2012, 17:32:33 »

Right then .. Please Mr Rob, do NOT make an excuse and fail to arrive .. :)  'cos I'll be in deep doodoo.......   :)

Situation right now ...

Car well high in the air.
Both drive shafts off
Self levelling suspension sensor removed and tied back
ABS sensors out
3 Large (T20) torqx bolts loosened
2 large nuts at the top/back of the diff loosened
Prop shaft bolts removed, but I can't get the propshaft to come off .. it moves forward but not far enough, I've even tried it with all 6 bolts out and the flexible joint completely loose !! does it need a tyre lever in there or should hand pressure (all I've tried) be enough ??

As far as I can tell it is very nearly ready to come out ....... hopefully this work has saved some time in the morning .. :)
Right, I`ll see you next week then Nige ;D ;D ;D
Only the 3 bolts at prop to remove, can always separate prop when diff is being lowered
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 17:35:22 by RobG »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 12 May 2012, 18:13:48 »

Let me know if you need a third expert numpty to help tomorrow Nige :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.