Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbones  (Read 18330 times)

05omegav6

Re: Wishbones
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2013, 18:31:33 »

How many miles had they done?

What state is the otherside in?

Looking at that, that may be due to the poly rear....   ....as feared
Arm could have been made stronger by welding all the way round the bush location. No evidence there of it having ever been joined at the flat surface :-\

For reference/comparison, my o/s rear bush mounting...

:-\

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2013, 18:36:36 »

Judging by the rust, they have been almost failed for some time :-\

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2013, 18:43:56 »

been on for about 2 years & about 45k driving mostly in London & home counties so plenty of speed humps & dodging other suicidal motorists but when i fitted them handling & tyre wear were hugely improved so not giving up yet

Al do you have the ring welded all round it as i think these were just tacked at 6 & 9 oclock & if so where did you get them from
« Last Edit: 30 October 2013, 18:46:54 by razzo »

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2013, 19:10:45 »

Mine have been in about ten months, 21k. Arms are pattern ones, and I think have almost continous welds. From memory, they're Firstline, but obviously have been polybushed at both ends.

Have a set of arms from ATP in germany, which are un branded, no markings at all, and look very similar to yours... quite rusty where the welds are... easy to see looking at them how they could fail with stiffer bushes :-\

There are differences between the various arms I have fitted, they way that bush ring is fitted being the obvious item.

I would suggest buying from your local factors and if necessary, have someone weld a continous bead around that ring :y

Might also be possible to weld a strip around the arm to form a box section to strengthen the arm further, but clearance around the back of the rear bush could be an issue with that :-\

The other thing I will say is that the rear polybush I have fitted is totally different to yours, so not sure how exactly they compare :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2013, 19:52:36 »

I have some rather scabby articles in the garage, so scabby that pics don't show where the weld ends and the rust starts, but they are GM with the white print still showing on the metal work.

The weld is still at 6 and 9 o'clock, but the length of the Weald is much longer covering 45degrees of the circumference in a (  ) fashion. So considerably more weld present than those failed.

To me that pic makes the point that any replacement bush should be based on a ball joint design. As the original. As unhelpful as that may be, is it worth the risk...?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2013, 20:39:08 »

snapped at the rear housing, fortunately i was moving less than walking speed as i was parking the car 10 mins earlier i was at 60mph on the A13. Wishbones are 2 years old & aftermarket

got a refurbed pair to ready to fit just not sure i trust em

I'd very much suggest that that fracture has been a long time coming!  Judging by the rust on the split, it has been open to the elements for a while.

I had a very similar thing happen to me with a Bilstein Shock which sheared at a particularly sharp corner.  Fortunately, nothing else was damaged and I was able to get the car on a recovery truck.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2013, 20:53:01 »

Indeed... when was the last MoT?

albitz

« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2013, 22:39:29 »

Whoever is selling those wishbones wants putting out of business imo.Thats scarily dangerous for something two years old.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2013, 23:01:59 »

Have been keeping an eye on mine due to concerns about the effects of a near solid bush, and so far no signs of imminent failure and damage/cracks/tears.

Looking at that one though, they've been cracked a while, the only clean part being the upper forward side of the arm, which would suggest that three pieces of metal have failed unnoticed :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2013, 18:22:17 »

Whoever is selling those wishbones wants putting out of business imo.Thats scarily dangerous for something two years old.
Razzo was testing a different bush, but there was a school of thought that it may reduce how well the wishbone could pivot, hence may have caused extra strain/fatigue on that area.

Until he is able to try it on a better quality wishbone, we'll never really know, as it may be a genuine wishbone fault, or that that wishbone was not up to the demands of the different bush.

Razzo - have you had the opportunity to closely inspect the other side, is there any worrying signs there?
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #25 on: 31 October 2013, 20:00:07 »

The alternative bushes are visible in the pic, btw.

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 November 2013, 07:02:40 »

Razzo - have you had the opportunity to closely inspect the other side, is there any worrying signs there?

not had a chance yet but both wishbones will be removed at the weekend

car was MOT'd in january

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 01 November 2013, 08:53:27 »

So nine months from fine to totally fubar :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2013, 17:32:00 »

not had a chance yet but both wishbones will be removed at the weekend

car was MOT'd in january
Keep us informed :y
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2013, 18:22:18 »

When I posted on ABS regarding poly bushes a few years back, a couple of the guys on there said that they would not use poly bushes on wishbones any more due to snapping them.

Sorry that I can't offer any more info on whether it was just one bush fitted or both, or even what car they were fitted to.  :-\

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.