Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Specific differences between X30XE and Y32SE?  (Read 17719 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Specific differences between X30XE and Y32SE?
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2014, 20:15:18 »

Far superior :D
Me thinks Bentley,porch,and a few truck manufacters think different,o and the reading one. ;)
Hoof'land storeman.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2014, 22:56:35 »

Many people will disagree, but the 2.6/3.2 variant of the GM V6 only came about due to tighter emission controls in Europe.

It had nothing to do with more power...... the 2.6/3.2 have insignificant power increases to the 2.5/3.0 they replaced.

Total engine failure of the GM V6 is extremely uncommon.  Poor maintenance of the Cam Belt and associated pulleys/tensioners are the main reasons for the engines to fail.  That is across the board - I don't think there is any difference in longevity between the X30XE and Y32SE - Both are extremely reliable engines.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2014, 23:39:58 »

270k and counting on my 3.2... and that's with 10k oil and 80k belt intervals :y

Not driven particularly gently either ::)

Temetsy

• Finland
    • b1 x25xe sedan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2014, 09:53:25 »

Many people will disagree, but the 2.6/3.2 variant of the GM V6 only came about due to tighter emission controls in Europe.

It had nothing to do with more power...... the 2.6/3.2 have insignificant power increases to the 2.5/3.0 they replaced.

Total engine failure of the GM V6 is extremely uncommon.  Poor maintenance of the Cam Belt and associated pulleys/tensioners are the main reasons for the engines to fail.  That is across the board - I don't think there is any difference in longevity between the X30XE and Y32SE - Both are extremely reliable engines.
I've heard two or three cases where the conrod has wanted some fresh air and breached out through the block.. Tho that surely is because of neglecting the oil change interval and use of the cheapest oil available  ::)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2014, 11:06:02 »

So the 3.0 ecu can work around the extra 200cc of engine capacity ?  ???
Yes  :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2014, 11:20:00 »

I've heard two or three cases where the conrod has wanted some fresh air and breached out through the block.. Tho that surely is because of neglecting the oil change interval and use of the cheapest oil available  ::)
Catastrophic connecting rod failure can occur as a result of a blockage in the oil supply to the crank - as the big ends run dry they overheat and seize at the same time - when the con rod is subjected to additional heat and stress as well as the normal stresses it lets go and punches through the block.

The gauze in the V6 oil strainer is prone to blockage. Poor quality oils will probably contribute to build up of crud in the sump. If you get an apparently good engine with unknown service history then it is worth dropping the sump and checking the strainer for piece of mind.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2014, 08:58:35 »

So key differences between the 3.0 and 3.2 (off the top of my head)

Larger Bore (not necessarily a good thing!)
Longer stroke
Steel mutlilayer head gaskets (a good thing although the composites are fine with regular coolant changes....which is needed anyway for the oil cooler and alloy heads!)
Forged steel crank (a good thing)
Improved exhaust manifolds (formed steel rather than cast - a good thing)
No air injection (possibly not fitted to US variants anyway and easily removed/got around - a good thing)
No EGR (neither good nor bad in reality as it causes few issues and only has a slight impact on throttle response)
Lower compression ratio (to overcome the loss of EGR, not a good thing!)
Later injection setup (not a good thing in my opinion as it is very emissions orientated and impacts economy)
Coil per plug ignition setup (a cost saving for GM only, not superior to the DIS but this was fitted to the 3.0 in the US anyway).

To modify the tops of the front pipe, an angle grinder with cutting disc works well or simply grind the lip back.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2014, 13:07:09 »

All I know is my latest Omega with a 3.2 V6 is superior to any 3.0 V6 I have had in the past.

It sounds different, accelerates at a faster rate, and general out performs the others.  It is amazing what an extra 200cc and  years of engine development can achieve. :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2014, 16:34:26 »

In which case your 3.0 was below par  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2014, 16:38:25 »

I should add that I suspect the optimum using stock parts is a 3.2 block with 2.6/late 2.5 heads (which have been ported) with 2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds, 3.0/2.5 front pipes, 3.0/3.2 inlet setup, G cams on inlet and exhaust and 3.0 injection setup minus air injection and EGR.  :y

This gets the earlier higher compression ratio back with the earlier injection system plus maximum cc and best crank plus the most free flowing exhaust setup off the shelf and best inlet system off the shelf.

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2014, 19:08:52 »

So key differences between the 3.0 and 3.2 (off the top of my head)

Larger Bore (not necessarily a good thing!)
Longer stroke
Steel mutlilayer head gaskets (a good thing although the composites are fine with regular coolant changes....which is needed anyway for the oil cooler and alloy heads!)
Forged steel crank (a good thing)
Improved exhaust manifolds (formed steel rather than cast - a good thing)
No air injection (possibly not fitted to US variants anyway and easily removed/got around - a good thing)
No EGR (neither good nor bad in reality as it causes few issues and only has a slight impact on throttle response)
Lower compression ratio (to overcome the loss of EGR, not a good thing!)
Later injection setup (not a good thing in my opinion as it is very emissions orientated and impacts economy)
Coil per plug ignition setup (a cost saving for GM only, not superior to the DIS but this was fitted to the 3.0 in the US anyway).

To modify the tops of the front pipe, an angle grinder with cutting disc works well or simply grind the lip back.

Looking at that just makes me want to keep the 3.0 even more now , but then i knew it was superior  ::) :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2014, 20:12:00 »

All I know is my latest Omega with a 3.2 V6 is superior to any 3.0 V6 I have had in the past.

It sounds different, accelerates at a faster rate, and general out performs the others.  It is amazing what an extra 200cc and  years of engine development can achieve. :y :y
As I said to JamesV6CDX on another thread when he said similar, either you had a dog of a 3.0l, or your 3.2 is modified by Imber Tuning ;)
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2014, 20:31:44 »

As I said to JamesV6CDX on another thread when he said similar, either you had   dog of a 3.0l, or your 3.2 is modified by Imber Tuning ;)

All I can say I have had multiple 3.0's, one just 3 years old when purchased, and my current 3.2 is as I have stated; better than all of them :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2014, 20:33:18 »

As I said to JamesV6CDX on another thread when he said similar, either you had   dog of a 3.0l, or your 3.2 is modified by Imber Tuning ;)

All I can say I have had multiple 3.0's, one just 4 years old when purchased, and my current 3.2 is as I have stated; better than all of them :y
The 3.2 does give more power when just touching the throttle, making it seem quicker, whereas the 3.0l needs lots of throttle movement. But the 3.0l is quicker.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2014, 21:21:05 »

I was surprised just how much difference the later manifolds with no other changes(other than blanking the EGR and dumping the SAI) made to my 3.0l.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.