Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega remapping  (Read 25284 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Omega remapping
« on: 01 November 2014, 19:37:10 »

Evening fellas,

I am aware the best mod / upgrade I can do for my 2.5 is install 3L cams. I plan on doing this in the not too distant future.

However, is it worth having a remap done by a tuning company to get the best performance from my beast? Is it harmful to the engine to change the mapping? Costs?

Any info would be sweet!  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Spireite

Re: Omega remapping
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2014, 19:51:29 »

I have a custom map from superchips.

If you find a local dealer/installer as I did, he may charge you less if you go to him so to speak.

Mine is a 3.0 MV6 anyway, but made it smoother and a tiny bit more lively.

Superchips have been trading since 1977 so have a good reputation.

Cheers Dean

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2014, 19:54:05 »

Thanks Spireite  :y

Do you mind me asking how much this chip cost?

According to their website I can expect an extra 12 BHP and a 16nm increase in talk. Is this even going to be noticeable  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2014, 22:33:56 »

FORGET IT!

Not worth messing around with.  If you want a faster Omega, buy a faster Omega.

They come no quicker than 3.2 V6, in Black obviously.  :-X
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2014, 22:37:32 »

lol fair enough mate.

may I ask why so vehemently against it?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2014, 22:50:50 »

lol fair enough mate.

may I ask why so vehemently against it?

Of course.

Why spend £1k+ on making your car just as fast as an equivalent model already available?  Why not pick up an engine from a breaker on here for, say, £300 and fit it into your car?  You have the knowledge, you have the capability and you have the tools.

I'd say sell your car and buy the one you desired in the first place, but I know you have spent many an hour and many pounds turning your car into something very nice.

I've had 4 Omega's.  3x 3.0 Elites, and 1x 3.2 Elite.  I've driven a 2.0, 2.2, 2.5DTi and a 2.5 V6.

The 2.5 V6 is a decent machine - The mid range is nothing compared to the 3.0 and the 3.2 is in another league.

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2014, 01:10:45 »

Re spray it black. Job done :)

ted_one

« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2014, 06:11:56 »

Not wanting to get into a big row about the subject,but I have a 3.2 with a remap showing as some would question an optimistic rolling road read out at 241 BHP,I have another 3.2 to compare it with and and without doubt there are subtle differences between the two. The remapped car is certainly better on fuel and although both cars are very quick and smooth to drive  the remapped car just marginally performs better than the other car.Both cars have been gone through in the last four months and have had brand new 3.0 ltr cats/full exhaust systems/cambelts and all the associated consumables that are part of that,so there isn't to much by way of variations in their care to cause the difference in performance and in fact the better performing car has nearly 3 times the mileage on the clock than the other car.....so I can only relay my own limited experience on the subject and can say that I'm definitely considering having the other 3.2 and the 3.0 done in the new year...BUT!! having it done with a reputable company and certainly not the cheapo Egay diy crap from Eastern Europe :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2014, 08:49:10 »

Thanks guys, really interesting to see some differing opinions here.

TBH I am happy with the car. honestly. but as I've mentioned on a few occasions there are a couple of small flat spots that I'd love to iron out. not being experienced enough with other omegas I don't know if this is a fault (hence always searching for vac leaks  ;D) or if this is akin to normal operation of this particular engine.

I read that a remap can get rid of these unwanted flat spots. so this isn't really a desire to go from 170bhp to 900bhp and expect a £250 mod to do that. its more about just polyfilling some cracks, for want of a better analogy  ;D

but seriously guys thanks for all the info.

does anyone know how this affects the wear on the engine? it says on the ''superchips'' site that they do put extra strain on the engine BUT well within tolerable limits. thoughts?

cheers  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

4x4

« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2014, 09:24:43 »

Doesnt put no extra wear on engine,all your doing is fine tuning the original map
Basics to start with,every ecu map has been programmed to take into account several factors,firstly not everybody services there car at the correct times,so the ecu has to be set up to account for this,i.e dirty airfilter reduces flow into engine,etc,fuel quality etc,so the manufactures design a map,so the car will still run and keep going,a remap then overwrites this,safety protocols can be reduced,i.e rev limiter,fuel settings etc,this allows the engine to run better than from the factory,and this helps with fuel economy and how the engine runs.
Put it another way,people dont like andriod software,they jail break it and load a custom system which is far better and improves the phone,still same phone but improved  :y

ted_one

« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2014, 11:55:06 »

Well put,that's about it in a nutshell,I think if there's need for real speed then there will be something out there to fit your individual requirements just  a matter of need and of course budget :y

Spireite

« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2014, 14:49:14 »

Slightly better mpg, marginal.

Smoother, goes slightly better in my opinion.

My chip complemented piper cams and so Jetex exhaust and sports cats though.

Cost around £200 ish cash from Wiltshire superchips.  Nice chap, removed the ecu, and placed a piggyback chip holder in, and fitted the new chip.  Jobs a good un.

ATB

Dean

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2014, 16:45:12 »

Ive got a 3.2 Manual Plod thats been remapped, also comes with a Catback SS Performance Exhaust that also helps, probably the quickest Omega Ive driven and I driven a few now.

Have played around with 3.0 Chips, Superchips, Courtenay etc, they do give some enhancement but only a marginal 5 to 15 BHP in real life, a Re Chip on the V6 Non DBW do seem to improve MPG as well, which is a bonus over the later DBW's. 

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2014, 22:57:32 »

Webby the performance and fuel consumption highly depends on your choice..

if you would drive it only on the track and could dispose catalytic converters,  you could well map it to very rich afr values ( and leaving a dark cloud behind you ;D )

then you could see the difference.. but fuel consumption would obviously suffer..

however, for legal road use with a good map you can see around 20 hp (-+5) gain

but I must warn you, if you open that door, soon you will continue with headers and then with a turbo and empty wallet ;D :y
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 23:02:03 by cem »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2014, 23:14:09 »

If you want a 3.2 Engine, AR35, ECU and all associated gubbins, let me know.  Mine is up for sale.

Come and remove it all, and you can have it for £300.  I'll let you pick other bits you may want at a very good price.

:y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.