Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Loom  (Read 32658 times)

05omegav6

Re: Engine Loom
« Reply #90 on: 12 March 2015, 11:53:42 »

Lambda behaviour is perfectly normal, giving that the ecu is sodding around with the fuel trims trying to keep it running...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 12 March 2015, 13:51:18 »

Yup. And sensor 2 doesn't control fuelling, it's job is to put an annoying light on the dash, I mean, to measure the cat efficiency! ;D

Big time if I start by checking real basics, please don't be offended, I don't question you or daz in any way, I'm just treating everything as an unknown to me as part of my troubleshooting process :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 12 March 2015, 13:57:20 »

Yup. And sensor 2 doesn't control fuelling, it's job is to put an annoying light on the dash, I mean, to measure the cat efficiency! ;D

Big time if I start by checking real basics, please don't be offended, I don't question you or daz in any way, I'm just treating everything as an unknown to me as part of my troubleshooting process :y
There is no worry in that area  ;D ;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 16 March 2015, 21:43:19 »

Today I spent the day at BIGTime's place trying to find out what's going on with this. We had a good laugh and an enjoyable day :)

To recap. This is a 75k 3.2 V6 Omega in good shape. I have come in with some fresh eyes to have a look at what's going on with it.

The facts as given to me, are

1) Steve purchased the car. He did around 500 miles in it, with no issue. Nice and quiet, no misfires, no trouble codes, EMLs or nasty noises.

2) After driving it for these 500 miles, he took it for a Cambelt kit change, new cam covers, thermostat, and new spark plugs x 6.

3) When this work was done, immediately upon starting it, Steve noticed a very loud metallic noise, and the car was running like a bag of spanners. Not a faint tap - the kind of squeaky bum noise that makes you run for the key to turn it off!

4) Due to this, the car was immediately stripped down so the work could all be double checked again. The Cambelt setup (valve timing) was found to be fine. The cam covers were also removed - especially the 2-4-6 one where the nasty noise seemed to originate from, with a view to making sure there were no foreign objects. None were found.

5) After this was checked, the car was re assembled, and still sounded very "tappy". As the cause could not be found, Steve drove the car away, and has covered 300 or 400 miles or so since then.

6) In that time, the nasty metallic noise has now disappeared. Steve was however, left with the problem he describes in this thread, which is a misfire on the 2-4-6 bank, with present misfire DTC's being stored in the Engine ECU for all of the cylinders on this bank. 

7) Steve has changed the coil pack on this bank in the hope it would cure it, for a new coil pack. No change - problem still exactly the same. This has basically led on to this thread, where Steve is now suspecting, and has been testing, the engine loom, thinking there may be an electrical fault.

Today's findings

I have basically come in as a fresh pair of eyes, to look at the facts and try and diagnose the issue objectively, and as such have started with the real basics, based around "why is this bank misfiring".

The first test I conducted was a compression test.

Results are, approximately, as follows

1 - 195psi
3 - 200psi
5 - 200psi

2-  115 psi
4 - 110 psi
6 - 90psi

So - the 2-4-6 bank (the one logging the misfire codes) is seriously lacking compression - the worst cylinder being around half the compression compared with the good bank. The test was repeated again with exactly the same results.

I checked the valve timing at this point to ensure some freak event hadn't caused the belt to jump. The belt was fine, the marks on the pulleys were in keeping with the marks on the setting tool with the crank locked at TDC - so the belt setup was OK.

I then removed the inlet manifold and bridge and looked at the inlet valves with a torch. The top of rear inlet valve on the bank with no compression was very black and sooty. The others quite clean.

I then removed the camcovers to check for any potential foreign objects. Nothing of note found.

At this point, the only thing for it, at this stage, was to whip the 2-4-6 head off for further investigation, so this is what I've done.

Pictures are below, but as you can see there is damage to the cylinder head around the valve area on each three cylinders. There is also damage to each piston, although I think we'll get away with smoothing the crowns a little bit. It's almost as if they have all had some bits of spark plug flying around in the bores (I think AL had this problem once, and possibly someone else too) - but on all three cylinders - AND just after it had been apart?

I don't have the old plugs for inspection, but Steve has seen them and thinks they were ok.

The next step is going to be to fit a known good head (one I have personally ground the valves into) and see if this restores the compression, and the misfire codes, and then take things from there.

Who knows - there may indeed be a loom issue - but - I have to fix the basic and obvious faults first, so they are taken totally out of the equation, before anything else can be looked at. And I can't ignore a 100psi compression drop as part of the diagnostic process.

A few pictures below. Steve's camera was playing up so they are taken on my rather dated iPhone, not the best quality but will give a good indication of what's been seen.

We are planning to do the rebuild hopefully later this week.

Steve and I would appreciate members comments on the pictures, and the circumstances/details I've described above.

Looking at the bore walls, they seem to have got away with it, there is no scoring, just the normal looking hone marks. The crank also rotates freely and the pistons move up and down OK.

I can only imagine that whatever has got chewed up in here, has somehow gotten into the valves and affected their seating, which is what has caused the compression drop.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2015, 21:45:31 by JamesV6CDX »

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 16 March 2015, 22:03:48 »

And on this picture Showing damage to the piston, You can just make out where the bore escaped damage.

05omegav6

« Reply #95 on: 16 March 2015, 22:11:21 »

Which brings us neatly back to sparkplug failure...

The question being, what causes a spark plug to do this...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=82787.0;all

Pics not the best, but 4th one is the dead plug...

Once plugs were all replaced, the missfire remained on that cylinder until the second loom change, having been proven to being a loom problem.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 16 March 2015, 22:14:50 »

Which brings us neatly back to sparkplug failure...

The question being, what causes a spark plug to do this...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=82787.0;all

Pics not the best, but 4th one is the dead plug...

Once plugs were all replaced, the missfire remained on that cylinder until the second loom change, having been proven to being a loom problem.

Not for one minute questioning your loom failed mate, but I'm sure you'll see in this case, the head had to come off for further repairs, after those compression readings.

What I'm also confused about, is why it was good as gold for 500 miles prior to it being worked on, and then immediately when it was started afterwards, it was so rough. The work appears to have been to a good standard, and I've nothing bad to say about the chap who did it, his work is very good. But on the same note, it's a massive co-incidence that it's just happened immediately after the Cambelt change etc.

I'm just trying to work out what the link / cause is  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #97 on: 16 March 2015, 22:20:40 »

You missed my question... what causes the plugs to disintegrate? As that's clearly what has happened here too...

My compression test results are in that thread too... looks like I dodged a bullet :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 16 March 2015, 22:26:04 »

You missed my question... what causes the plugs to disintegrate? As that's clearly what has happened here too...

Ah ok. I could only imagine running lean would be the most likely cause - excess heat eroding them away?
But why - is a mystery.

This one did have a MAF code when Steve first bought it and the MAF was changed, which got rid of it.

But it still doesn't explain why these problems started immediately the key was turned, after servicing work, and was OK for hundreds of miles beforehand. I can't actually answer why or what went wrong, if anything there. It just seems like too massive a co-incidence.

05omegav6

« Reply #99 on: 16 March 2015, 22:33:34 »

Could a weak spark make any given cylinder effectively lean out, ie produce the same effects as running lean?

Again, it could be coincidence, but that was the first and only time I fitted twins to my car... I wonder if quads are less susceptible  :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 16 March 2015, 22:41:07 »

Could a weak spark make any given cylinder effectively lean out, ie produce the same effects as running lean?

Again, it could be coincidence, but that was the first and only time I fitted twins to my car... I wonder if quads are less susceptible  :-\

I'd imagine more susceptible, due to the electrodes on the quads being quite a bit thinner..  :-\ But I really don't know...

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 16 March 2015, 23:02:38 »

Look different after a closer inspection james

« Last Edit: 16 March 2015, 23:05:12 by BIGtime »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 16 March 2015, 23:06:42 »

Post some pics of the cam shells too on the 2-4-6 bank mate (the ones starting with "R" before the number :y

Looking at the pic of the heads again, it looks like too much damage to be an electrode or 2, maybe?  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 16 March 2015, 23:15:39 »

If it were a spark plug, wouldn't broken plugs have been removed at some point?

Odd for it to happen on all 3 cylinders at once. Would have thought the first failed plug would have prompted investigation, on account of the misfire, as in AL's case. :-\

That first piston picture makes me wonder if part of the ring land has burnt / been chipped away towards the top of the picture.

Any sign of damage to the valve guides?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 16 March 2015, 23:19:32 »

If it were a spark plug, wouldn't broken plugs have been removed at some point?

Odd for it to happen on all 3 cylinders at once. Would have thought the first failed plug would have prompted investigation, on account of the misfire, as in AL's case. :-\

That first piston picture makes me wonder if part of the ring land has burnt / been chipped away towards the top of the picture.

Any sign of damage to the valve guides?

My thoughts exactly re all three at once. Which, combined with the fact it was OK before the work was done, and now has very low compression, AND Steve saw the old plugs (on which it was running fine) were ok - leads me to believe it's not spark electrodes being eaten in there??  :-\

Looking through the holes the valve guides look ok - not had chance to take any valves out yet though...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.