Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?  (Read 21222 times)

Hudson

• View Profile
Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« on: 14 December 2015, 14:21:29 »

I keep coming back to this forum  :y looking at all the posts on the v6 elite's and trying to convince myself that they can be a decent used car ? But everytime i come to look for one on the ebay/autotrader/gumtree sites all i tend to find are cars with ' a story ' or they seem to forget to mention any service history etc..... are there any ' secret ' places where a decent (would like mint but not likely to find) low (ish) miles elite would come up ? Saloon would be best but estate is also fine. 2.6 or 3.2 and as late a year as poss. Ta  :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2015, 14:23:05 »

Depends on your budget... They can be found but generally demand top money
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2015, 14:54:24 »

Depends on your budget... They can be found but generally demand top money

I know a lot of tatty ones are under a grand so i would expect to pay a decent amount, given their low prices the budget is not an issue to be honest, hopefully by finding the right one i may try and keep the onging costs to a reasonable amount, lpg would also be nice but again adding this makes the search even a harder thing.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2015, 15:27:42 »

OP, I would say there's no 'be all and end all' with an Elite, or, to put it another way, consider a CDX, given the differences between the two are minimal, and the most obvious one being leather seats. (and you could order your Elite with velour, should you wish, there are non-leather Elites out there)

Differences in reality are (without splitting hairs, there'll be a couple I've missed I'm sure)...
-Leather interior
-Self levelling suspension (which will most likely have been replaced for a non-SL setup by now)
-Xenons/HID lamps (however on the FLs both CDXs and Elites got Xenons)
-Different alloys
-Electrically operated rear blind
-Auto-dimming rear view mirror

Omegas were always very well specced, and even base models/most models get such as alloys, climate control, electric windows, cruise control, nice woody trim etc

If you find the perfect car, excluding spec, there's really not much money you'd need to put into it to 'elite-ise' it. All can be retro-fitted with the minimum of hassle. Certainly the cost of 'speccing your car up', will pale into insignificance compared with the cost of maintenance in a year! (I'm thinking the usual list of, geo setup, suspension, bushes, timing belt)
Also there's frankly really nothing overtly sporty about an MV6, and I'm sure no MV6 owners on here feel 'short-changed' by owning one. My CDX has MV6 suspension, and to be honest, doesn't really feel anything but soft and comfy. Certainly no 'sports car'  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2015, 15:37:24 »

Bose sound system, inbuilt sat-nav, heated rear seats, memory drivers seat, fully electric front seats, auto wipers,  also on Elite.. Probably also missed a few other things.  :y

Only major drawback is the lack of a 3.2 in the CDX lineup.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2015, 15:40:44 »

Yep, car condition is more important than exact spec. Nothing on an Elite would make me seek out just that model specifically, and all specs of Omega are a comfortable car. You'd be better off just buying the tidiest model you come across with the engine you want.

Omegas have got to the age where most will probably be starting to show signs of corrosion (doors, tailgate on estates and saloon rear arches go first), and most will have high mileages (although they are mechanically robust if cared for so that's not necessarily a problem).

Most Elite bits can be retro fitted fairly easily and enthusiastic drivers tend to find the Elite suspension a bit wallowy, so swings and roundabouts.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2015, 15:50:51 »

This is true, Mr OmegaMan  :) And of course there's difference depending on year - HIDs and Bose, and autowipers being good examples, you mention. On the flip side, the earliest Elites didn't get climate control!

Obviously I lumped all the 'seats' things in one category, if the OP wished to buy, for instance a CDX FL, with around £100 he could secure an Elite leather interior which would gain him not only leather, but memory seat, electric front seats, heated front and rears, all in one  :) Taxi Al was giving away a pair of front seats only the other day! Another £40ish and he'd get a autodimming mirror and electric rear blind. CDXs came with 4/6 CD autochangers as standard the OP should know, so worry not if, OP, if you're thinking that CDXs only get an LW/AM radio and cassette player!!  ;)

Out of pure interest I've got a PFL CDX which is standard aprt from

Sporrrrty(ish) MV6 suspension
Rain sensing screen for auto wipers (when I do the wiring!)
Auto dimming rear view mirror (when I do the wiring!)
Electric rear blind
FL leather gear/handbrake levers
Elite leather door cards (didn't fancy the whole interior, too cold in winter/hot in summer)

Very much a car tailored to my personal tastes, as everyone's is, of course.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2015, 17:12:53 »

The hardest Elite item bit to retrofit to a CD/CDX/MV6 (ignoring the sunroof) is the memory seats/mirrors function, due to amount of cabin loom required.

If this does not bother you, and if you're the only driver why would it, then buying a lesser model and speccing it up may be cheaper.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2015, 17:13:32 »

Actually, Bose in a FL is a bit of a pain as well, unlike PFL.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2015, 18:36:26 »

In built sat nav not necessarily an Elite item.My F/L doesn't have it as it was fitted from new with that useless TM system instead.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2015, 18:40:35 »

In built sat nav not necessarily an Elite item.My F/L doesn't have it as it was fitted from new with that useless TM system instead.
TM fitted across range on higher models from 1998 to about 2002.  Bloody useful it was too, I miss it.

Post 1998 3.0/3.2 Elites got Satnav as standard (CARiN on MFL, NCDC on FL)
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2015, 18:48:15 »

My fault sorry badly stated.Meant TM was useless now not particularly when new,but my Elite hasn't got an NCDC it's got a ccr600 or some such thing.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2015, 18:53:36 »

My fault sorry badly stated.Meant TM was useless now not particularly when new,but my Elite hasn't got an NCDC it's got a ccr600 or some such thing.

The superiour 3.2 Elites came with the NCDC + GID series as standard, sure the only option was the colour CID screen such as this one LINK  :y

Not had an Omega with TM though..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2015, 18:56:33 »

Not had an Omega with TM though..

I took mine out within days of getting the car ...... did a swap with someone for a none drilled trim panel  ;) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2015, 19:41:06 »

Some very early 3.0l facelifts came with CCR2006 due to the NCDC not being ready.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.