Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting an AR35 from Senator  (Read 20450 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting an AR35 from Senator
« Reply #90 on: 29 July 2016, 11:50:05 »

I don't see it being an issue, from memory there are two connectors, one for the front sump and one for the rear, I recall the connectors being held in with metal clip so easy enough to pop out and the wiring is minimal and dead easy to access (with filter removed).

Given the sump has to come off anyway

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 29 July 2016, 12:23:48 »

I don't see it being an issue, from memory there are two connectors, one for the front sump and one for the rear, I recall the connectors being held in with metal clip so easy enough to pop out and the wiring is minimal and dead easy to access (with filter removed).

Given the sump has to come off anyway

Mark, are you saying that although the connectors are above the opposite sumps, they will still connect to the same solenoids etc. and do the same things inside the box? :-\ I would also have trouble if the colour codes are different. :-\
However, I will drop the sumps on both to have a look, as I already have the AR25 whose plugs I could use. :y
« Last Edit: 29 July 2016, 12:25:51 by Shackeng »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 29 July 2016, 12:45:06 »

Internals are the same from memory, been in the same positions etc

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 29 July 2016, 17:49:28 »

Having all sumps off both the AR25 and new AR35, the wiring is virtually identical, and the mechanicals appear identical. Apart from the new one utilises the earth lug in the rear sump, which is unused in the AR25. Also the 7 pin plug on the old one has two wires which are connected together internally, so straight in and out of the plug, doing nothing inside, and I could connect these together externally. There is also one blank pin, so it is effectively only a 4 pin plug.
Unfortunately it is not possible to exchange the receptor plugs from the old box to the new one, as the plugs are different diameter. Multi-pin is 28mm, and 4 pin is 22mm, and the new box mounting holes are the correct size but in the wrong place.

Therefore the answer seems to be to swap the cable ends on the car cables to match the existing plugs on the new box, although the 4 pin one is a slightly different pin size, and as I was unable to remove the 4 pin one undamaged from the old box due to brittle plastic, I will need a complete new connector for that, then use the internal wiring from the old box. :-\ :-\ :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 29 July 2016, 18:29:08 »

Blimey, nothing easy. What about asking if some has a scrap ar25/35, and would remove looms for you.I know it's more expense, :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 29 July 2016, 18:39:42 »

Blimey, nothing easy. What about asking if some has a scrap ar25/35, and would remove looms for you.I know it's more expense, :o

Thanks Trev, I already have an old AR25, and intend using the looms of which I have photographed and drawn a wiring diagram, and I am reasonably happy at Mark's suggestion that they can be swapped. I think they just chose a different way of doing the essentially the same wiring. It's a bummer that the receptor holes are a different size, otherwise it would have been - relatively - simple. I shall get there eventually. :y

STEMO

« Reply #96 on: 29 July 2016, 19:39:53 »

Thanks Trev, I already have an old AR25, and intend using the looms of which I have photographed and drawn a wiring diagram, and I am reasonably happy at Mark's suggestion that they can be swapped. I think they just chose a different way of doing the essentially the same wiring. It's a bummer that the receptor holes are a different size, otherwise it would have been - relatively - simple. I shall get there eventually. :y
Keep at it, Chris, I'm sure you'll get there  :y
Even if you can't get completely round this box change, it's all valuable experience.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 29 July 2016, 19:40:26 »

GM change just one thing on lots of things just to be awkward, and try to stop people using the older but technically the same parts, as you are finding out. Bastiss ;)
Hoof'land storeman.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 29 July 2016, 20:04:03 »

Keep at it, Chris, I'm sure you'll get there  :y
Even if you can't get completely round this box change, it's all valuable experience.

This I have plenty of, its skill I require! :-[ :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 29 July 2016, 21:07:43 »

That BigGriffin has a lot to answer for!  ::)  Another fine mess!!  ;)  ;D

Keep at it though Shack, I'm sure you'll get there in the end!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 29 July 2016, 22:02:13 »

That BigGriffin has a lot to answer for!  ::)  Another fine mess!!  ;)  ;D

Keep at it though Shack, I'm sure you'll get there in the end!  :y

Oi you wurzel, how's it my mess, please sir (admin) that Tigger picking on me. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 29 July 2016, 22:36:15 »

Having all sumps off both the AR25 and new AR35, the wiring is virtually identical, and the mechanicals appear identical. Apart from the new one utilises the earth lug in the rear sump, which is unused in the AR25. Also the 7 pin plug on the old one has two wires which are connected together internally, so straight in and out of the plug, doing nothing inside, and I could connect these together externally. There is also one blank pin, so it is effectively only a 4 pin plug.
Unfortunately it is not possible to exchange the receptor plugs from the old box to the new one, as the plugs are different diameter. Multi-pin is 28mm, and 4 pin is 22mm, and the new box mounting holes are the correct size but in the wrong place.

Therefore the answer seems to be to swap the cable ends on the car cables to match the existing plugs on the new box, although the 4 pin one is a slightly different pin size, and as I was unable to remove the 4 pin one undamaged from the old box due to brittle plastic, I will need a complete new connector for that, then use the internal wiring from the old box. :-\ :-\ :-\
Is there space to drill new holes in the correct locations for the Omega loom & plugs? Cut the wires off the Senator plugs and leave them in the holes to keep the oil in?  :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

STEMO

« Reply #102 on: 29 July 2016, 22:44:36 »

OMG! We're drilling holes in the gearbox casing now. ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 29 July 2016, 22:54:39 »

OMG! We're drilling holes in the gearbox casing now. ;D

What can possibly go wrong? 😀
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 30 July 2016, 08:19:44 »

Is there space to drill new holes in the correct locations for the Omega loom & plugs? Cut the wires off the Senator plugs and leave them in the holes to keep the oil in?  :-\
This picture seems to show that there isn't space to go adding new holes.

I thought you were saying that the different captive sockets fitted different size holes through the casting but now I am not so sure :-\

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.