Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32211 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I'm interested in knowing what are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2. Are the differences only cosmetic? I know the B2 has a new interior, new tail lights and rear bumper and new bonnet and front bumper. But is that it?

And are there also mechanical and electrical differences? I know the engines were replaced in 2000. But what about the rest like suspension etc?

And by the way, does the Omega B share anything with the older Carlton-Omega A? Like chassis, suspension etc?

Thanks.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Thanks. I had looked through that and as well as the FAQ. But I didn't really see the answer for my specific questions. Unless I overlooked something.

Edit: Yes, just looked again and the answer to my questions are really not there.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2016, 13:34:49 by anV6 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Mechanically identical. Better paint techniques make facelift less print to bodywork corrosion, particularly on the doors.

New engines came in after the facelift, so you can get facelift cars with older engines.

Climate is a lot more advanced technically, but in reality doesn't deliver noticeable refinements. Seat heaters have better heat adjustment on facelift cars, rather than the on/off of pre L ones.

Everything else is cosmetic.
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Thanks!

At the front, what exactly is different? Looking at it it seem the B2 has a different grill, a different bonnet and a different bumper. But headlights and wings are the same as B1. Or am I wrong?

And would you know if the Omega B shares anything mechanically with the Carlton (Omega A)?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Bonnet, headlight and bumper. That's all that's needed to make front end look like an Astra-G

Although based heavily on the Senator/Omega-A chassis, sharing the same V-Platform chassis, I can't think of anything that's identical.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

Bonnet, headlight and bumper. That's all that's needed to make front end look like an Astra-G .....

Oy! That's my line!  ;D

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Bonnet, headlight and bumper. That's all that's needed to make front end look like an Astra-G

Although based heavily on the Senator/Omega-A chassis, sharing the same V-Platform chassis, I can't think of anything that's identical.

So the headlights are also different. I thought they were the same. But so there are no structural differences underneath? One can just buy the headlights, bumper and bonnet and bolt them right on without any custom work needed and convert the front to a B2 or vice versa?

I heard the Omega B was heavily based on the Omega-A. So I thought if the chassis is the same, maybe the suspension would be too, or at least very similar. Are the dampers, springs, bushings etc all different? Brakes?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

All different  :'(

But yes, front end can be retrofitted :y

Wings are the same btw ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

All different as in the dampers, bushings and springs from the Omega-A won't fit? And why the tears?  :)

Good to know it's easy to change the front end though. If it's as simple as bolting off and bolting on then it's easy.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

By the way, what are the differences between the standard suspension and the sports suspension found in the Omega MV6 and Omega Sport?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

By the way, what are the differences between the standard suspension and the sports suspension found in the Omega MV6 and Omega Sport?
About 20mm lower with slightly stiffer springs, no self leveling facility. Otherwise identical  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

About 20mm lower with slightly stiffer springs, no self leveling facility. Otherwise identical  :y

And only that makes the whole difference? According to some the sports suspension handles a whole lot better.

And I wonder how less comfortable it is since it's lower and stiffer.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It doesn't sound like much, but it tightens the handling up nicely. Ride isn't really affected as it has the same size wheels and tyres as the Elite :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

So the headlights are also different. I thought they were the same. But so there are no structural differences underneath? One can just buy the headlights, bumper and bonnet and bolt them right on without any custom work needed and convert the front to a B2 or vice versa?

I heard the Omega B was heavily based on the Omega-A. So I thought if the chassis is the same, maybe the suspension would be too, or at least very similar. Are the dampers, springs, bushings etc all different? Brakes?

The front hub assembly and rear wishbones are identical and that`s about it, the springs and dampers will physically fit but the rates will probably be wrong, at the front at least anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.