Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32167 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

This is all very interesting. It's really surprising that the so called sports suspension has very little difference from the standard. I was expecting different geometry or at least something more than just stiffer springs.

I wonder what Lotus did to the Lotus Carlton suspension that every reviewer said it was handling like the Lotus sports cars and was a dream to drive.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

There's a couple of ex- LC / LO owners on here who will be able to explain that in fair detail between normal Carlton and the Lotus variant.

As for the suspension changes between Omegas, I think there was very much a feeling of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. The MV6 was never really a massive full-on track-munching sports machine like the old Carlton GSi 3000 was, cosmetically the MV6 never looked very far from the humblest GLS model. The suspension was a little lower a little stiffer, and that was fine, given it had a well-proven rear-drive chassis and decent dynamics. They weren't trying to make it an M5 eater (not forgetting they tried and succeeded in that with the Lotus, but for no real benefits, the whole Lotus Carlton Omega project basically cost GM money, especially after sales slumped due to the early 90s recession, which also affected XJ220 etc)

it was a bit nicer than a 'normal' omega to drive - and that's fine  :) I have to say, I'm on MV6 springs on mine, and going from a FL with standard springs it's a fair bit tighter, and still rides 90% as well.... however I'd go back to the standard setup tomorrow without really feeling like I'd 'lost out'.

If you're after a lower and harder ride, then kits are out there.  :)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

This is all very interesting. It's really surprising that the so called sports suspension has very little difference from the standard. I was expecting different geometry or at least something more than just stiffer springs.

I wonder what Lotus did to the Lotus Carlton suspension that every reviewer said it was handling like the Lotus sports cars and was a dream to drive.

The MV6 also had firmer damping and IMHO were better than the Bilstein B4`s and with 20mm lower stance wasn`t a bad handling car, what lets the Omega down is the bushing on the front wishbones and the powerflex bushes sort this out  :y

The Lotus Carlton had self leveling suspension but that`s as much as I know about it, I suspect the geometry was different because the front wishbones are different as is the front wheel offset.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

There's a couple of ex- LC / LO owners on here who will be able to explain that in fair detail between normal Carlton and the Lotus variant.

As for the suspension changes between Omegas, I think there was very much a feeling of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. The MV6 was never really a massive full-on track-munching sports machine like the old Carlton GSi 3000 was, cosmetically the MV6 never looked very far from the humblest GLS model. The suspension was a little lower a little stiffer, and that was fine, given it had a well-proven rear-drive chassis and decent dynamics. They weren't trying to make it an M5 eater (not forgetting they tried and succeeded in that with the Lotus, but for no real benefits, the whole Lotus Carlton Omega project basically cost GM money, especially after sales slumped due to the early 90s recession, which also affected XJ220 etc)

it was a bit nicer than a 'normal' omega to drive - and that's fine  :) I have to say, I'm on MV6 springs on mine, and going from a FL with standard springs it's a fair bit tighter, and still rides 90% as well.... however I'd go back to the standard setup tomorrow without really feeling like I'd 'lost out'.

By that I get the impression that if i don't get a MV6 I shouldn't bother in trying to upgrade the suspension to match the MV6's sports suspension?

If you're after a lower and harder ride, then kits are out there.  :)

Which ones? :)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

The MV6 also had firmer damping and IMHO were better than the Bilstein B4`s and with 20mm lower stance wasn`t a bad handling car, what lets the Omega down is the bushing on the front wishbones and the powerflex bushes sort this out  :y

The Lotus Carlton had self leveling suspension but that`s as much as I know about it, I suspect the geometry was different because the front wishbones are different as is the front wheel offset.

Are the Bilstein B4s you mention the stock dampers in the non MV6 models?

And what are the Powerflex bushes? I get the feeling I will have to start a list of upgrade musts for the Omega.  :)

So you think the Lotus Carlton self leveling may have made all the difference? But the standard Omegas also have that right, but in the MV6 sports suspension it is eliminated? Or this wasn't what Doctor Gollum meant when he said no self leveling facility for the MV6 suspension?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

By that I get the impression that if i don't get a MV6 I shouldn't bother in trying to upgrade the suspension to match the MV6's sports suspension?

You certainly should if it's an Elite. Possibly less so for other models without self-levelling. Not familiar enough to know.

Having said that, MV6 suspension bits are rare now, so probably not worth seeking them specifically. Pattern suspension parts such as the B4s are probably a better bet, although if you happen to come across some decent MV6 springs, snap them up. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

You certainly should if it's an Elite. Possibly less so for other models without self-levelling. Not familiar enough to know.

Having said that, MV6 suspension bits are rare now, so probably not worth seeking them specifically. Pattern suspension parts such as the B4s are probably a better bet, although if you happen to come across some decent MV6 springs, snap them up. :y

I did!  ;D Actually surprised I havent seen any come up since, glad I got them when I did.  :)

As Kevin say OP, worth keeping your eye out, however there are 'other' options (aftermarket springs which are stiffer and lower - depends what you want, really, how far you want to go etc)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Sachs were OE shock provider... Bilsteins ok, but the have fitting issues...

Eibach do a decent range of springs :y

Irmscher stuff occasionally pops up, especially on ebay.de...

Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

And what are the Powerflex bushes? I get the feeling I will have to start a list of upgrade musts for the Omega.  :)

So you think the Lotus Carlton self leveling may have made all the difference? But the standard Omegas also have that right, but in the MV6 sports suspension it is eliminated? Or this wasn't what Doctor Gollum meant when he said no self leveling facility for the MV6 suspension?

These replace the totally shite front bush in the front wishbone, it`s this bush that gives the omega the vague steering feel and the powerflex bushes are polyurathane and give a more precise feel to the front end.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

You certainly should if it's an Elite. Possibly less so for other models without self-levelling.

So is self-levelling bad? By what I have been reading here and the fact it has been deleted from the MV6 sports suspension I get the impression it is undesirable. But it was said the Lotus Carlton had it, which would make me think Lotus thought it was a good thing. I would also have thought so.

Sure. But I get the impression there is nothing special about the MV6 suspension, or? Can't you replicate it with after market parts? It's just different dampers and springs right?

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I did!  ;D Actually surprised I havent seen any come up since, glad I got them when I did.  :)

As Kevin say OP, worth keeping your eye out, however there are 'other' options (aftermarket springs which are stiffer and lower - depends what you want, really, how far you want to go etc)

What are the after market options? I don't want something scrapping on the floor. Nothing too low. Something as low as the MV6 or even Irmscher would be fine. Not too stiff either. The M5 is not that stiff right? It is still comfortable but handles well enough.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

These replace the totally shite front bush in the front wishbone, it`s this bush that gives the omega the vague steering feel and the powerflex bushes are polyurathane and give a more precise feel to the front end.

Great to know. Thanks!

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

By the way, which version had this dashboard? :

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

By the way, which version had this dashboard? :

Looks like eBay stick on clocks to me

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

I've seen that one before on the web/oof. Right, that's standard FL MV6 fayre, with the additon of...

little chrome strip things on ashtray
-Ebay/aftermarket stainless steel dial rings
-Ebay/aftermarket dials (as above) may be Richbrook but there are companies who will make you custom dials. These being from Germany rings a bell.
-Phone and air freshener are obviously aftermarket.
-The little 'box' on the top of the dash also is non-standard.
-The screen / display in the speedo binnacle is unusual, but are about. It's a colour screen, and rather sought after. I've seen people on the continent hack them to provide a reversing camera feed, display a ncie opel badge, even a TV/DVD feed, all sorts.
The gear lever isn't standard, either. Not sure what's going on here, but most likely replacement gearbox. I assume, therefore there's a V8 under the bonnet, and that's a tranny out of a Corvette or something else 'beefy'
-Little button next to the gearlever. The 'snowflake' button is on all Auto Omegas, but the square thing below is what's added on & could be anything.

Annnd breathe! I think that's it!  :y

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.