Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Wheel Alignment: Rear Track Control Bar  (Read 2636 times)

Palmo

• View Profile
4 Wheel Alignment: Rear Track Control Bar
« on: 30 August 2006, 13:03:21 »

Recently went to have my Omega's wheel alignment done as the steering wheel has always been off centre (to the left) since I have had the car.

When the garage went to adjust the rear he said the "off-side Rear Track Control Bar was seized" and so he could not adjust. He tried to heat this up to free but with no joy. Apparently the near-side was also very tight but he managed to free this a little.

The end result was that three of the 4 wheels were aligned within spec, but the off-side rear is out. Presumably this is the cause of the steering wheel being off-centre? The Before and After settings are as follows:

Where do I get a new 'Rear Track Control Bar' (not sure if this is the correct name for them) and how much are we looking at?  
« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 13:38:34 by Palmo »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Wheel Alignment: Rear Track Control Bar
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2006, 15:17:28 »

Didn't think there was room to apply decent heat to rears on Omega.

Mine seized, so every weekend for about 2 months I sprayed some WD40 in the 'splits' of the adjuster. When car went back in for its free check 2k later, it came undone no probs...
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2006, 17:43:19 »

Try posting this also in:

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/

You may get more responses than here...

« Last Edit: 30 August 2006, 17:43:48 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Palmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2006, 17:58:14 »

Thanks for the tip. Will try this.

The guy who did the alignment heated the adjustment arm by placing a heat shield against the body and applying heat to the underside - granted not adequately all way around. Maybe if the adjuster arm  was removed from the car it could then be heated adequately all way around and freed?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2006, 18:34:01 »

...When the garage went to adjust the rear he said the "off-side Rear Track Control Bar was seized" and so he could not adjust. He tried to heat this up to free but with no joy. Apparently the near-side was also very tight but he managed to free this a little.

Have you considered flooding it with penetrating oil for a few days...?

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2006, 09:28:16 »

As I said earlier, a regular squirt of WD40 freed mine off by next time WIM needed to look at it...
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2006, 09:52:43 »

The outer rods screw a good 2 inches into the centre sleeve bit so it takes time for penetrating oil / wd etc to soak in.

On my '95 estate I had to  remove the rods, clamping them in a vice then used two blowlamps to really heat up the sleeve. It still took lots of force to move them but once they were dismantled and greased up they were easy to adjust and should be good for 10 more years.

Its a pity that the factory didnt put a bit of grease on the threads in the first place.

Palmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2006, 13:04:51 »

Thanks guys - have taken your adivce and been out soking the bar with WD. Have really soked it several times in the past few hours and will continue over the next few days before going to an alignment centre. I'm looking at going to the alignment centre on Drury's Lane in Oldham (listed as a trusted centre on WIM) - this is fairly local to me. Anyone used this place?
« Last Edit: 31 August 2006, 13:06:07 by Palmo »

wheels-inmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2006, 19:03:54 »

And he did.... Thank You for the link. Cross collaboration over forums is healthy, since i feel no club could contain all the information required to satisfy all posts...... Anyway this is the reaction to the thread in the wim forum.
http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=536

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2006, 19:19:53 »

And he did.... Thank You for the link. Cross collaboration over forums is healthy, since i feel no club could contain all the information required to satisfy all posts...... Anyway this is the reaction to the thread in the wim forum.
Thanks for posting the update, hopefully the member will get this sorted up at Oldham :)

We agree that no site can deal with all queries, esp with relation to the complexities of geometry. As you are a well respected geometry expert, we are more than willing to crosslink to your forum where we know our members can get excellent advice on their geometry issues :)
Grumpy old man

wheels-inmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2006, 10:38:33 »

Thanks for posting the update, hopefully the member will get this sorted up at Oldham :)

We agree that no site can deal with all queries, esp with relation to the complexities of geometry. As you are a well respected geometry expert, we are more than willing to crosslink to your forum where we know our members can get excellent advice on their geometry issues :)

Again Thank You... Who would think there could be a forum dedicated to Geometry? What allows it to live is the fact it's not marque specific and it involves all forms of racing.

I know some members here have used wim and silently i have retained a pricing structure for this club in the agreed format used for other clubs.. The reason i say silently is that i am not a trader, personally i gain nothing from any Geometry set or set-up i write if the car is modified.... Also out i sight i made the 'trusted centres' in the wim-web site aware that Omega Owners Forum members will be using there services and i will be watching...This lends support to the owner from additional pressure at the centre.... Fact is the 'trusted centres' cannot afford to let you down or i will pull the plug on our association.

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2006, 10:47:39 »

I've fitted a full Irmscher suspension set to my omega I don't suppose you have a diagram to set up the suspension :)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2006, 12:04:51 »

I've fitted a full Irmscher suspension set to my omega I don't suppose you have a diagram to set up the suspension :)
You should have it with the irmscher documentation you got with the kit, I did with mine, a sheet and a sticker for the landing panel detailing new camber settings etc.  ::)

I'll look mines out again in case you've lost it, cos i know you're so organised.  ;)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2006, 12:07:32 »

Jim, you may be best asking this Q over at WIMs forums - http://wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum
« Last Edit: 04 September 2006, 12:07:55 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.