Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: By-Election  (Read 2323 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
By-Election
« on: 02 August 2019, 09:41:59 »

A win for the LibDems in the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election last night which cuts Boris's majority to one!  ::)

The question for me though, is why on earth when the sitting Tory MP Chris Davies was effectively sacked for fiddling his expenses wasn't he de-selected and a new candidate put forward?  :-\

Or would that just be common sense?  ::)  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

Re: By-Election
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2019, 10:21:33 »

There's going to have to be a general election, surely?  :-\
And the reason for letting the conservative candidate stand again, some are saying, is because Boris wants an election.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2019, 10:56:38 »

And the reason for letting the conservative candidate stand again, some are saying, is because Boris wants an election.

General election?

This gives us a choice between dumb and dumber.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2019, 11:23:37 »

General election?

Well........choose dumb then  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2019, 12:32:28 »

General election?

Well........choose dumb then  ::)

Remind me.......which one is dumb and which one is dumber?

It seems there was no Boris bounce in Brecon. :)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2019, 12:34:47 »

An election ? the country is so divided I can't see any party getting a working majority , more chaos is guaranteed  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2019, 17:37:08 »

An election ? the country is so divided I can't see any party getting a working majority , more chaos is guaranteed  :(
Yup. As it would be fought purely on Brexit.  And approx. half of the public are remainers, half leavers (actually, its believed there are far more remainers than leavers, but lets take the last outcome).

The Tories will lose votes to the Brexit Party

Labour will lose votes to the Libdems, Greens and local province parties

And the likely coalition would be with a party on both sides.

It'd be another fustercluck.

If Boris wants an election, its because he's scared of being written in history as the PM who destroyed the UK.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2019, 17:57:51 »

With a majority of one, and a remainer Parliament, its hard to see how he can avoid an election. Unless he knows something the rest of us don't.  ???
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2019, 19:17:36 »

I think he plans to run down the clock to 31st October and after that everything changes assuming we have left the EU with no overall withdrawal agreement.  :-\

He'll hope to manage the process well in the days/weeks/months after 1st November and if Joe Public see no major ill effects from our 'crashing out' without a deal he'll be a hero and will go to the country on the back of it.  :)

The Remain campaign will fizzle out as rejoining will be a very different prospect than revoking A50 and remaining, and I think only the fervent Europhiles will become Rejoiners.  ;) 

That's assuming that the sky dosn't fall in and the Four Horsemen with their apocalypse don't turn up on 1st November.  :)

That's also assuming he can survive an expected vote of no confidence......  ::)

« Last Edit: 02 August 2019, 19:23:54 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2019, 19:36:07 »

I think he plans to run down the clock to 31st October and after that everything changes assuming we have left the EU with no overall withdrawal agreement.  :-\

He'll hope to manage the process well in the days/weeks/months after 1st November and if Joe Public see no major ill effects from our 'crashing out' without a deal he'll be a hero and will go to the country on the back of it.  :)

The Remain campaign will fizzle out as rejoining will be a very different prospect than revoking A50 and remaining, and I think only the fervent Europhiles will become Rejoiners.  ;) 

That's assuming that the sky dosn't fall in and the Four Horsemen with their apocalypse don't turn up on 1st November.  :)

That's also assuming he can survive an expected vote of no confidence......  ::)

Doubtful that he can. Several Tories will vote with Labour, Libdems etc. so I don't see how he can win it, so an election seems inevitable.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2019, 20:50:37 »

Meanwhile, in other news, the US/Russia nuclear armss treaty has been disrupted so I wouldn't rule this out just yet :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2019, 20:53:19 »

Meanwhile, in other news, the US/Russia nuclear armss treaty has been disrupted so I wouldn't rule this out just yet :-\
One of many depressing news items at the moment. I really try not to read every news item on the BBC app when I'm having my coffee in the morning, but I can't help myself. Not a good way to start the day.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2019, 23:39:35 »

But.... is it not in both Russia and the USA to have a disruption to a nuclear pact.?

They both get to spend big and look good, Then they look even better when in a few months/ years get together and magically agree a new deal.

Where’s Rods2?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2019, 19:11:59 »

It was either a totally stupid move virtually ensuring defeat and cutting the working majority to 1 or an uncannily shrewd[if highly risky]move.By fielding the candidate they did setting him up to be defeated they can now[as it turned out] point at labour and say we fielded a dodgy candidate and still beat your lot.Had they fielded a fresh candidate and still been beaten they'd have been open to all sorts of opposition[and from within the Tory party]attacks.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2019, 21:44:21 »

Apparently Poison May made the decision for him to stand again to try & make Borises life as difficult as possible with one less MP. As long as Boris doesn't try to revive May's Dodo  treaty he should be okay with DUP support.

Dominic Cummings has pointed out that it is now too late for remain MPs to stop Brexit as by the time Parliament reconvenes after the summer holidays in September & call a vote of no confidence & it has been made & lost to stop Brexit or leaving on WTO terms, the General Election won't be until November when we have already left the EU. ;D May turning down Tusk's offer of a Canada++ deal would have been better solution but May's WA would have turned us into the EU's first colony & been a disaster for all of us as the EU stripped us of all of our wealth like imperial rulers always do, so WTO terms is now the best option & we do save £39bn for receiving nothing from the EU. I just hope we leave before Deutsche Bank goes bust having liabilities which are the equivalent of $7000 for every person on this planet & will make the PIIGS Euro storm look like a ripple on a pond in comparison & the UK still with considerable Euro bailout liabilities until 31/10.

7:55 the morning Dominic Cummings had a meeting with all department SpAds & laid down the law on no further Phillip Hammond & Chris Grey style obstruction of no deal government preparations & no further press leaks as that is now an instant sacking offence with no right of appeal & he will find out from the journalists who the leaker was as he always has even bigger stories to offer them. He is not known as Dominic 'Irascible' Cummings for nothing, particularly when it comes to civil servants. :o

Sorry remainers, but that battle is now lost. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

It has also been reported today that FTA talks are now ongoing with USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand & others with many of them expected to be concluded before the end of the year. You now won't have to go to EU countries to get your growth hormone American Beef where the EU have agreed to increase their exports quotas & if you are worried about a chlorine deficiency, you can always buy a bag of prepared salad from your local supermarket as they are always chlorine washed as it makes them last longer.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.