Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery cars on the "road to nowhere" - pic heavy  (Read 2297 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Mystery cars on the "road to nowhere" - pic heavy
« on: 18 September 2013, 10:26:40 »

Whilst staying with Varche we decided to take a trip up Top Gear's "road to nowhere" near Granada in Spain. It turned out to be quite interesting. Firstly, it doesn't actually go nowhere. There's a ski resort there:

The view's quite nice:

There is also a coffee shop at the top, a couple of observatories, one old and ruined, one modern, with what looks like a radio telescope. Height at the top of the road is about 9000 feet above sea level. Anyway, the more interesting thing is that there was clearly a lot of car testing going on.

I spotted a couple of "mystery cars" with bodywork obscured by stick-on panels and defensive paint patterns. Some ordinary cars had "lumps and bumps" on the bonnet, suggesting something unconventional was being tested underneath. One car I saw had some unconventional looking connections by the fuel filler. Picture quality isn't great as I was watching from a distance without a long lens:

These cars were being driven up and down the hill constantly by a team of drivers, all with laptops plugged in. Periodically, there'd be a driver change, and the exiting driver would sit down with a coffee and have a good rummage on his laptop. Lots of apparently standard VW/Audi cars were doing this in addition to the disguised ones. The top two cars above I caught sight of doing a standing start up a section of mountain road when they thought nobody was around and 'kinnel did they take off! :o

I also spotted a couple of cars towing these, or variations of them:

A smallish trailer, but look at the size of the wheels, and the cooling ducts! This thing was putting out quite a heat haze when it pulled up! "Towing dynamometer", apparently. I guess it's used to retard the car and simulate towing without the embarrassment of having to take a caravan with you. ;)

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

Re: Mystery cars on the "road to nowhere" - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2013, 10:47:06 »

Altogether now...

ROOOAD TRIIIP! :y

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2013, 10:48:57 »

First one looks like a Porsche Cayenne after a diet (quick because it's a Porsche)*, second one is a barely disguised Insignia estate (perhaps a twin turbo 1.4/1.6 or a hybrid :-\)

No idea what the third one is, but probably Seat/VAG related, possibly a Seat version of the VW Tiguan/Audi Q3...

*Apparently it's a Porsche Macan, based on the Audi Q5

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2013, 10:59:24 »

All the recognisable cars being run were Seat/VW/Audi, mostly on German plates.

The "Cayenne" seemed significantly smaller than a Porsche, but sounded properly raucous. Guessing V8/V12 with a quick shifting flappy paddle gearbox and, as said, it was quick.

The "Insignia" was the one with some weird fuel filling arrangements. I caught up with it at a petrol station and the (German) drivers expressed some frustration that they'd run out of 98 RON and proceeded to fill it up with 95. It had a small lump in the bonnet, suggesting something non-standard beneath. It had some serious brakes on it too! All markings and grilles had been taped over or removed. Also at the petrol station there were a good few articulated trucks and car transporter trailers parked up.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2013, 12:03:17 »

First one looks like a Porsche Cayenne after a diet (quick because it's a Porsche)*, second one is a barely disguised Insignia estate (perhaps a twin turbo 1.4/1.6 or a hybrid :-\)

No idea what the third one is, but probably Seat/VAG related, possibly a Seat version of the VW Tiguan/Audi Q3...

*Apparently it's a Porsche Macan, based on the Audi Q5
???
I think Porsche are bring out a baby cayenne,could of been that

Note to self ,read all of Al's post before typing :-[
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2013, 17:27:09 »

Nice photos.

I only recognised one car. That was in the first picture. Mazda MX5 with 1.8i engine I would say.

Almost everytime we have been up that road in the summertime there are vehicles being tested in disguise. How do you get that job??! The locals also go and test out their Suburu Imprezas etc.

I like that "towing trailer" .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2013, 13:49:43 »

Looks like good trip, Kev. Interesting about those towing units, never thought about how they test that.

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2013, 17:08:44 »

Thanks for sharing , looked very hot there  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2013, 21:15:38 »

Thanks for sharing , looked very hot there  :y

It was pretty warm in Madrid, especially as we didn't find the air con switch in the hotel room until the 2nd day. ::)

Elsewhere, it was very sunny, apart from one rainy day, but temperature was bearable, especially at 9.000 ft. That's why we normally holiday in September if going in that direction - well, that and the lack of "ickle people" and the cheaper fares, hotels, etc. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.