Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 10 - Is it time yet?  (Read 4088 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 - Is it time yet?
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2016, 18:28:41 »

Not sure I trust an SSD for high IO operations like the OS, heard about to many failures.
Stay away from shite. Enterprise ones are more durable, but even the MLC and TLC ones from high end makers are generably robust - more so than HDDs now I'd say.  I'd personally go with Sandisk Ultra II, as Crucial tried screwing me over on an m4 sent back for warranty, and its not something I want to go through again.

I personally use a combo of Sandisk Plus (low end), Crucial m4 and M500 (mid range) and Sandisk Ultra II's (mid range). I do not use spinning media in any of my machines bar the Media Center, ignoring the servers. The OOF web server and the primary database server sit on some Sandisk Ultra II 1Tb - and the database in particular gets a proper spanking...

SSD is now the way to go.
After far oo many issues with Nvidia cards I only use ATIs Gx now. I think this one is a GeForce 4650 or summit.  Powerful enough for me.
GeForce is NVidia ;). ATI driver support is wavy on Win10, based on the fact ATI is deeply in the shite.
Grumpy old man

Wessex_Electric_Nutter

• Chichester, UK
    • 4 of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2016, 11:44:48 »

As per the title.  I have waited to upgrade as I do not want to get bogged down with faff and bugs.  So has it been long enough yet?  I have to either reimage or upgrade as it has been 3 years since a rebuild and the old girl is getting slower and slower despite being a Xeon dual quad with 16gb of ram.

I have upgraded on several machines, but after I upgraded, I got a printer that isn't supported which is a Textronix/Xerox Phaser 7300 printer. Well, it still is, but you have to fudge the drivers to get it to work.

On my current desktop (built out of spares lying around), its running x64 variant of Windows 7 which fully supports the printer in question, which also precludes my upgrade since if I do, I loose all abilities to select what paper source (although despite being old, it is rather clever and knows what paper to select - unless its a label.) Interestingly, the printer I used before which I handed back to my dad, was a Textronix Phaser 750DP and that one is STILL supported despite being older.

Its a question of "Will my hardware work?" A lot of printers for example will, but others may not, its like older hardware that you may use, in 7 it may work, but in 10 it may not because of the way they enforce the driver signing (driver is a piece of software that allows the computer to talk to an item of hardware for those not in the know.)
Otherwise, I find it far easier to use than Windows 8 (ugh!) and I found it surprisingly quick, probably because there is no aero glass effects that came with vista on the windows. However, it can be a headache to use at times as the interface layout is different, particularly control panel and some other useful tools the average user doesn't use that often (Computer management for example).
Vehicles:
1997 Renault clit (D7F)|2001 Renault Espace (G9T)|2001 Renault Espace (L7X)|1998 Vauxhall Omega (X25XE)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2016, 12:04:09 »

Hmmmmmm . . . . I realy need to think about doing this. I'm still dithering   ::)

. . . . . or do I mean procrastinating ?   ???
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2016, 19:58:13 »

Not sure I trust an SSD for high IO operations like the OS, heard about to many failures.

i've had 3 ssds fail (and without warning of course) but the newer ones seem more reliable.  however they are ideal for the boot drive as not much changes on that compared to data, assuming you aren't installing new progs every day.  so if it dies you just swap in the clone you keep (and need to roll back 'updates', because rstrui only works those times you don't seriously need it.  or is rstrui fixed in win 10?)

you can cloud synch up to 15GB data for free with google drive

I've been looking at a 1TB SSD for my laptop and found this endurance review helpful:

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I'm probably going to go with the latest generation Samsung which are at the more expensive price end, but what price do you put on reliability? My concern is I will being using it with Outlook and by necessity I have to keep a large number of emails for a minimum of 12 months, so my .pst file is usually around 2gb, with emails being added 24/7.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2016, 10:46:48 »

i've had 3 ssds fail (and without warning of course) but the newer ones seem more reliable.  however they are ideal for the boot drive as not much changes on that compared to data, assuming you aren't installing new progs every day.  so if it dies you just swap in the clone you keep (and need to roll back 'updates', because rstrui only works those times you don't seriously need it.  or is rstrui fixed in win 10?)

you can cloud synch up to 15GB data for free with google drive

I've been looking at a 1TB SSD for my laptop and found this endurance review helpful:

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I'm probably going to go with the latest generation Samsung which are at the more expensive price end, but what price do you put on reliability? My concern is I will being using it with Outlook and by necessity I have to keep a large number of emails for a minimum of 12 months, so my .pst file is usually around 2gb, with emails being added 24/7.
If you look at real world usage, even mid range endurance is a few years.  In reality, I think we're more likely, in normal desktop use, to suffer a failure not related to wear.

Obviously, no matter what you pick, you should have a robust, regular backup strategy in place if the PST is that important.

I probably have around 20Gb of PSTs sat on my works Stinkpad, never bothered checking what brand SSD that has...   ...but being Lenovo, its bound to be pretty shit TBH.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.