Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 24v Work in Progress  (Read 42328 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Omega 24v Work in Progress
« on: 25 November 2016, 11:29:28 »

Hi

Decided to start a work log of things I am doing/planning to do on my recently acquired 'meega. I have a word doc as well with all work needing done, parts required, things to check and anything else that crops up.

My list of parts required/things to do so far are:

Service Items:

• Timing belt
  • tensioner
  • water pump
  • Oil
  • Oil filter
  • Air Filter
  • Anti-Freeze

Suspension parts:
  • Poly bushes for front arms
  • Tie rods front
  • Tie rod rear

Other parts required:
  • Vacuum pipe onto 3 way non return servo valve
  • 2 tyres

Things to check/do:

• If adjusters for tie rods are seized
  • Thorough check of suspension/mounting components general condition and serviceability
  • Camber check to get an idea how far out it is
  • Flush and replenish coolant with new anti freeze (combine with timing belt job while changing WP)
  • General service
  • Change timing belt

If you see anything I might have forgotten then I can add it to the list.

Let the battle commence!

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 24v Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2016, 17:09:20 »

Hi Grifter

GOOD LUCK ON THE BATTLEFIELD!!!

Did you look seriously after rust? Ommis have many hidden places  :o

Last year I thought i knew them all, but that was before I rebuilt my sedan.

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2016, 22:27:44 »

Hi Grifter

GOOD LUCK ON THE BATTLEFIELD!!!

Did you look seriously after rust? Ommis have many hidden places  :o

Last year I thought i knew them all, but that was before I rebuilt my sedan.

Rolf

Hi Rolf

As of yet I haven't went into the bowels of the ship although I have checked as much as is practicably possible without stripping things off. From what I see things look quite good. I can't see anything untoward and judging by the condition of the bits I can see it looks to be fine. However not being complacent I will be going round it in due course with a finer toothcomb aka torch and screwdriver!

Cheers

Andrew
« Last Edit: 25 November 2016, 22:32:23 by grifter »

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2016, 23:15:23 »

Picked up the battleship tonight (for some reason there is a battle ship theme going on - that I started!) and got straight home as didn't want a fuzz tug with those tyres. On the way I could defo feel the steering was a bit twitchy and almost a bit floaty at times. I kept distance as didn't want to do any sort of hard braking or steering as I wasn't familiar with handling, especially with it being flippin cold as buggary here and the roads all slimy with grit. Also noticed steering wheel on dead centre the car veers slightly to right.

Once it was on my driveway I went out with my trusty head torch and started having a bit more of a look around. Started with a bit of a hose down of the bottom half to get all the grit off. Cleaned out under arches, checked in behind rubber trim on bottom of back door for corrosion etc. Gave those bits a spray of acf 50 anti-rust. Also gave the wiper pivots and the spindle threads a little spray oil, plus door hinges & latches.

Then had a bit of a poke about the engine again. Checked oil etc. Was going to brave checking throttle bodies but didn't want to push my luck lol! Didn't want to start something I couldn't be bothered finishing, especially at silly o clock.

There is a bit of oil stain on sump guard just under front of engine. I did notice this before but had a bit more of a look at it. Obviously need to clean it up first before seeing where it might be coming from. Crank seal, sump seal? I think someone mentioned it's worth taking oil pan off to check oil pick up is clear.

Next step was the boot. I noticed it was a wee bit damp. No leaks or wet carpets, just beads of water on the inner wings and up underneath each side of parcel shelf. Gave this a wipe down, removed spare, cleaned out usual crud you find down there, bits of paper and crumbs. Tidied up first aid kit and tool box compartment bits, securing them up with the rubber strap thing. Will get dehum in there soon anyway as most cars end up damp inside due to cold/wet weather here so worth a good dry out now and again.

That was me done for the night. Next step will be front up in the air and have a look around underneath.

« Last Edit: 25 November 2016, 23:19:06 by grifter »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2016, 08:41:51 »

There's no pictures? It's called the gallery for a reason. :o.
Rant over,  with a list of jobs like that he might be busy :y
Hoof'land storeman.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2016, 19:32:04 »

There's no pictures? It's called the gallery for a reason. :o.
Rant over,  with a list of jobs like that he might be busy :y

Here yi go:

Not had much time to take more but should have some soon.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2016, 08:02:44 »

Had a more in depth look at the oil stain last night. It seems concentrated on the passenger side and seems to go up to the rocker cover area. I'm assuming that is the problem. Looks like a pig to change with all the stuff running over the top of it. Had a look at the other side and while it is not oil damp down the side it looks like the rocker gasket is sweating a little.

Also checked battery terminals, + one was slightly loose due to not being pushed right home on the post so loosened it, wiggled it back and forth then pushed it in  ;D home and dry, and not loose now.

Next thing I had a bit more of a look at was the coolant. It is up to level however I kind of thought it looked a bit "red" perhaps stop leak I don't know, or something else? I will be flushing it all as a matter of course, but will be doing a head gasket test before I drain it. I also noticed that the plenum chamber thingy must have been off at some point before as one of the little plastic covers was missing off it.

Finally I found some service history in the big wallet thing in the glovebox. It has service history up to 55k. I noticed at 30k and about 55k it said that the toothed belt (including tensioner on first one) had been changed. I take it this meant the timing belt. Will need to have a look again as it might be that it had reached the X amount of years for timing belt change rather than based on mileage as a change at 30 then 50k is quite a short mileage range between which to change the belt.

Car was originally registered in Luton Beds and looks like it spent it's first 40k down there.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2016, 08:28:46 »

Managed to get a look at the bushes on front. They seem a tad worn out, and they look a bit goosed on top. I also tried a big screwdriver between the subframe and arm and there is about 4mm of free play before any resistance is felt.

Also took measurements on Drivers side with spirit level. Difference between top and bottom of wheel is about 3/4 of an inch inwards at top. Seems quite a bit but don't have a baseline of what it should be?

Everything else looks ok. I did notice that on full lock there is a bit of play, or what feels like play. I have the same thing on my senator, no play until you get to full lock there is a bit of movement back and forth. Wonder if this is "to be expected" on a steering box?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2016, 19:15:49 »

Coolant should be red on these...
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2016, 20:18:02 »

If replacing cam cover gaskets[which it sounds like you may need to do]make sure you clean the engine breathers thoroughly too or they'll just leak again!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2016, 20:46:41 »

Coolant should be red on these...

Ok, so good sign then - hopefully.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2016, 20:47:21 »

If replacing cam cover gaskets[which it sounds like you may need to do]make sure you clean the engine breathers thoroughly too or they'll just leak again!

Will certainly be doing all that kind of thing as a matter of course, thanks for the heads up.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2016, 20:53:01 »

Ok, so here's a few snappies of some of the checks I Made at the weekend.

Can't remember what side this is but it doesn't look as bad as the other bush, which is looking like it has lifted out it's bonding.

New tyres anyone?

Full view of tyre wear

This is the bush that looks like it is popping out the bonding bit. Looks different to other one, which doesn't look as bad.

The angle here looks more than it actually was. Although 3/4" of neg camber seems a wee bitty much.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2016, 22:26:27 »

The angle here looks more than it actually was. Although 3/4" of neg camber seems a wee bitty much.

1deg10sec seems to work well for OOF members who have managed to get it set accurately.

3/4" (say 20mm) is way too much. I think I worked out that on 17" rims I needed 8mm (measured at the rim) (not much point trying to measure off the tyre).
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2016, 21:20:50 »

I can't imagine worn back arm bushes giving this amount of negative camber though I could be wrong. I've checked everything else and it seems fine for wear. As it has only 77K on it I can't imagine it's had any major front end work on the struts or steering, although again I could be wrong.

Totally agree though 3.4 is way too much of a difference between top and bottom. Will need to get bushes changed and geo done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.